+ Reply to Thread

Question Large 2500-2800 FUE in one day. Disadvantages?

I have been consulting with doctors about an FUE session of about 2500-2800 grafts. It is possible to have this done over 2 consecutive days or else as a one day mega session.

Is there any disadvantage to doing it all in one day?

I'll get 2000 grafts with a top surgeon in February and it will be in two days so I'd advise you to have it done in two days.

Doing it in one day would mean like... 12 hours of work.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bighair View Post
    I have been consulting with doctors about an FUE session of about 2500-2800 grafts. It is possible to have this done over 2 consecutive days or else as a one day mega session.

Is there any disadvantage to doing it all in one day?
    I would avoid the ARTAS Robot and doctors who would attempt a 2500-2800 session using manual extraction. It's really better for the patient to have this number of grafts done in one day. Dr. Cole has performed over 5,000 FUE grafts in one day. If you spread this mid-sized surgery out over 2 days, you have to have the recipient and donor areas anesthetized a second time. IMO, numbing is the least fun part of the procedure.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Basically I have been consulting with one of the top European doctors and had been planning a 2 day session of 2500-2800 grafts. I asked for a cancelation to come up and his consultant told me he had a 1 day session free coming up soon and that he could fit me in do the whole thing in one day.

Im a bit confused by this as it seems like a lot to do in one day. Obviously it would be great as long as there are no drawbacks.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? Should I be worried at all? Will he not be really tired by the end of the day?

I assume he wouldnt offer it if it wasnt going to be fine, but I dont want the job to be left unfinished and then find I have to book another session in a years time. I also dont want it if its in any way inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I would avoid the ARTAS Robot and doctors who would attempt a 2500-2800 session using manual extraction.
    Im confused, you say you should avoid both robotic and manual extraction? What else is there?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bighair View Post
    Im confused, you say you should avoid both robotic and manual extraction? What else is there?
    Dr. Cole begins FUE surgery with a manual punch test kit to determine depth, angle and necessary punch size to avoid transection. Manual punches are rotated by hand. Manually operated punches can typically slow down an FUE session and result in doctor fatigue in larger sessions. Once Dr. Cole has determined depth, angle, and punch size using the manual punch test kit, the Powered Cole Isolation Device is used for the duration of the surgery in most cases. The Powered Cole Isolation Device is directly physician operated. The ARTAS Robot basically replaces the physician during the actual graft scoring process.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Phone 678-566-1011
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Had no idea that Dr. Cole uses a powered motorized device.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

In the hands of an experienced proficient FUE surgeon, 2500 grafts is no longer considered a huge session for one day in the OR.

Three to five years ago it was.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Here is my observation which I’m sure many will not agree with and that’s good as we each should be entitled to our own opinion. From my own personal experience I have trained my body to get past fatigue including hand fatigue when necessary. It becomes a matter of mind over matter and eventually what was once difficult becomes easy. Anyone that knows me personally can attest to this fact.

It has also been my personal observation where I have had the opportunity to be in meetings where the room consisted of hundreds of doctors that they struck me as individuals not capable of much manual type labor. Doesn’t make them bad people just an observation. They are more inclined to have soft delicate hands with perhaps the occasional manicured set of fingernails. It is also the very reason many have not been able to master fue over the years as they simply do not have the necessary physical ability necessary to perform the task. Much easier to just discredit the procedure.

Finding a man with a real set of hands performing hair transplantation using a manual punch is not easy but it can be done.