+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default dr thomas mantse

Hi ia considering a fue transplant with dr thomas mantse. Was wondering if anyone has heard of him or had treatment with him. He is canadian but works from budapest. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by weeg1690 View Post
    Hi ia considering a fue transplant with dr thomas mantse. Was wondering if anyone has heard of him or had treatment with him. He is canadian but works from budapest. Thanks guys
    Never heard of him. This is a huge decision and you really want to go to the best. The first thing you want to make sure of is that any doctor you are considering is in the IAHRS. Once you find a couple of IAHRS surgeons you are interested in, have as many consultations as possible, meet as many patients as possible and go from there.

J-b davis, thanks for the reply. He is a member of the ishrs and seems valid. There are a few good reviews on him and I cant find any bad ones. It says on his website he created the nlht ( no look hair transplant ) basically transplanting hair without shaving the rest off.

Quote Originally Posted by weeg1690 View Post
    J-b davis, thanks for the reply. He is a member of the ishrs and seems valid. There are a few good reviews on him and I cant find any bad ones. It says on his website he created the nlht ( no look hair transplant ) basically transplanting hair without shaving the rest off.
    No offense, but just judging from your post, you REALLY need to do tons of research before even considering having a hair transplant. The ISHRS is basically like a trade organization that any doctor can join, even if he or she is just thinking about doing hair transplants. There are absolutely no standards involved, so this is not a valid credential. The fact that he promotes something called the “no look hair transplant” is big red flag. He might be a great doctor, I really have no clue, but judging from his marketing and the fact that he is not in the IAHRS, it would be difficult for anyone who has been on these forums for a while to tell you to go for it. you should also take into account that if someone with 1 or 2 posts all of a sudden says they had a great experience with a doc, those posts are probably not real.

You really have to do your research before making such a life changing decision. Best of luck!

Is anyone still reading this thread? I'm booking into Dr. Mantse for next month and looking for any unbiased reviews :-/

Did you ever end up going to Dr. Mantse?

Default Dr Mantse

Hello,

Did anyone ended up trying with Dr. Mantse?

Quote Originally Posted by stelman View Post
    Hello,

Did anyone ended up trying with Dr. Mantse?
    Yes I have just been to see him. He is very aloof and not at all like all the reviews I've read on him say. Yes, you are picked up and dropped off at the airport by chauffeur and the hotel is ok, although when you want room service they don't have a room service menu in the room so you have to go down to the restaurant to pick what you want which completely nullifies the point of room service!

You have breakfast at 7am in the hotel then a taxi picks you up at 7:45 which you pay for yourself. His surgery is in a large mansion, but he says he doesn't live there. When he lets you in he tells you to leave your shoes and put on a pair of crocs. There's no chit chat at all while you're led upstairs to get changed into surgical garments in a bathroom.

You're then asked to fill out a couple of forms, take 2 diazepam, 2 painkillers and an antibiotic. Still, there is no talking at all or even a description of what's about to happen. He then asks you to lay face first on the operating chair. The stitching inside the face hole is dirty, the scissors on the table are rusty, the chrome on the chairs and on the utensil table are very rusty or corroded. I later found out it is due to the amount of NaCl solution he sprays which is highly corrosive to non stainless steel. Still, it didn't fill me with confidence.

Then the agony happens! The numbing injections were one of the most excruciatingly painful experiences I have ever had, and I get beat up every week in sparring which is nothing compared to this.

Still no explaining or talking. Then he started harvesting the grafts which took about 2-3 hours, about an hour in, his wife assisted. They spoke Hungarian throughout the process and didn't speak to me once. Then at 11pm it was lunch, I wasn't really hungry as it was too soon after breakfast and I was high off the tablets. Then around 12pm he started the grafting on the front.

He gave me a white pencil and asked me to draw on the hairline I wanted, I was more concerned about the crown but he didn't ask me about this. Then more painful injections later, he started planting the grafts. He put the ID channel on the TV so I was watching crime documentaries for the next 6 hours. Any time I asked a question it was either a 5 word answer or "we will talk about this later" which never happened. The only thing he said to me in 6 hours was "wake up" as I fell asleep for a few seconds off the monotony of the TV channel coupled with the sedatives.

Then around 5pm he ran out of grafts and said he's finished and to change. Then put a light surgical hat on me and the taxi was outside. That was it! Aftercare was spray antibacterial spray on the donor and recipient site before I go to bed, have a lukewarm bath and wash the donor area for about 30 mins.

I woke up with some blood spots and a lot of clear ooze which leaked through the pillow. I know most surgeons place a gauze on the donor site on the first night, but he doesn't and I think that's probably a good thing as I've seen how much that gauze sticks to the head on other patients.

Next day, exactly the same again to the letter. Same programs on the ID channel as the day before, still no talking. Whereas he spent around 7-8 hours on the front, he only spent around 2-3 hours on the crown, which concerns me as this is the area I wanted more coverage on. He finished around 5:20pm taxi was waiting, aftercare advice was around a 20 second long sentence, then sent me on my way with his card and said any problems, call me.

Now for the good part. When I looked at his work in the mirror, the way he has done the fringe is perfect, very densely packed and not in rows like most of the Turkish surgeons. They were well inserted, better than anything I've seen on the internet and the area was very clean with no blood. I had to get home before my wife could tell me what the crown looked like and she tells me it is also densely packed. It was probably quicker as the crown hairs can be placed with less precision than the front.

The spray he provided me with was confiscated at the airport and he still hasn't sent me an email with the aftercare advice or an alternative to the spray that was taken off me.

If I had the money I would have went to a respected UK surgeon, but this guy has a lot of very good reviews and bizarrely a lot of people say he's friendly, informative and talkative which is the complete opposite of what I experienced.

I can't recommend him as of yet until I see the end results. If they are good, I would recommend him due to the price and his skill, just don't expect the 5 star experience his reviews lead you to believe.

Default thanks

thank you for the input! Please let us know how it goes.

It is always difficult to know which reviews to trust. It sounds like a good doctor, but some of the things you mention are indeed somewhat worrying.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by stelman View Post
    thank you for the input! Please let us know how it goes.

It is always difficult to know which reviews to trust. It sounds like a good doctor, but some of the things you mention are indeed somewhat worrying.
    I'm now on day 3 and 4 of healing as it was over 2 days. There is no redness in the recipient area, no numbness and no tenderness which was unexpected. I can see how well they were implanted and the density is great. The donor area is partially numb and still slightly weeping clear fluid but getting less every day. The worst thing has been the swelling. I had a forehead like a dolphin yesterday and today it's gone down but now into my eyelids and I look like a freak. I'm dreading to see what I look like tomorrow as I have to pick the kids up from school I'm hoping the swelling will have gone down by Saturday when I go back to work. I wear a beanie in work anyway so nobody will know (hopefully)