+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    When I was 14, I first noticed I had some minor recession. I looked at things a lot different back then. For instance my family watched a popular TV show, The Fugitive, starring David Janssen. As a teenager, he looked bald to me. Some people thought he wore a hairpiece but he didn't.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Jansens hair looks good for a 50 year old. I went for a little more hair than that but I the concept is the same.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    Are hair transplants worth doing.

If you continue to bald, they seem to at best be a short term fix.
    We have a patient who is now 60 that's been coming to Dr. Cole since 1998. He had small hair transplant sessions every few years. In 1998 he was a Norwood 5. Now at 60, he appears to have a full head of hair. He had minor hair loss in the back. Men bound toward the Norwood 6 category can get natural looking results in the front that usually hang in there pretty well into moderate old age. Men do experience thinning of transplanted hair in their 60s + but at that age a little hair is better than none IMO. People who care about how they look when they are young, generally do care about how they look when they get older.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Are hair transplants worth doing.

If you continue to bald, they seem to at best be a short term fix.
    We have a patient who is now 60 that's been coming to Dr. Cole since 1998. He had small hair transplant sessions every few years. In 1998 he was a Norwood 5. Now at 60, he appears to have a full head of hair. He had minor hair loss in the back. Men bound toward the Norwood 6 category can get natural looking results in the front that usually hang in there pretty well into moderate old age. Men do experience thinning of transplanted hair in their 60s + but at that age a little hair is better than none IMO. People who care about how they look when they are young, generally do care about how they look when they get older.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Attached Images

Hair loss makes you look older all the way up through the NW scale. I think that is really the biggest downside to MPB and why most men care. I can tell you from experience its the case the majority of the time. A NW 0 makes you look unusually young just because most men do bald as they get older, while balding unusually fast at young age makes you look unusually old.
    I think NW 0 looks unusually good its just such a rare sight. How can having too much hair honestly be bad? what are you smoking to think that.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Hair loss makes you look older all the way up through the NW scale. I think that is really the biggest downside to MPB and why most men care. I can tell you from experience its the case the majority of the time. A NW 0 makes you look unusually young just because most men do bald as they get older, while balding unusually fast at young age makes you look unusually old.
    I think NW 0 looks unusually good its just such a rare sight. How can having too much hair honestly be bad? what are you smoking to think that.
    For me, I hate the thought of losing hair because I like being able to style my hair. I like having hair cuts etc.

If you are balding significantly, you lose a lot of styling options (as hair is missing). If you are receeding, again styling options become limited, as the hairline frames your face. At least if you have hair, you have the choice to go bald.

balding sucks, whatever way you look at it.

Those guys who pay top dollar to get a combover is a bit stupid as well. (Hair transplants)

For me, I hate the thought of losing hair because I like being able to style my hair. I like having hair cuts etc.

If you are balding significantly, you lose a lot of styling options (as hair is missing). If you are receeding, again styling options become limited, as the hairline frames your face. At least if you have hair, you have the choice to go bald.

balding sucks, whatever way you look at it.

Those guys who pay top dollar to get a combover is a bit stupid as well. (Hair transplants)
    I agree. Once you reach NW2 the only decent options you have are what, maybe a caesar, messy bangs??

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I agree. Once you reach NW2 the only decent options you have are what, maybe a caesar, messy bangs??
    yeah, exactly what i am wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Depends on texture + density

If you have a wavy or loose curl texture, it is easy to style & look NW1 as long as you still have enough density
    However if your hair is very straight or has very tight curls, or if it is too thin, you are in trouble
    NW2 is not that bad in many cases. However NW2a is f*cked....forelock recession is a disaster

What on earth is a NW0? Does it imply some rarity in nature because this is about the only hair loss forum I've heard that term mentioned. I thought a NW1= juvenile hairline and it progressed thereafter until NW7 or anywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    What on earth is a NW0? Does it imply some rarity in nature because this is about the only hair loss forum I've heard that term mentioned. I thought a NW1= juvenile hairline and it progressed thereafter until NW7 or anywhere in between.
    NW0 is made up by forum posters. It is because some people think the sketch of NW1 shows a mature hairline, mild recession etc
    In reality the chart is just a bunch of rough sketches done by some guy before most of us were even born. These drawings should not be taken as gospel

All that really matters = is your hairline receding or not?