+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hair Transplant Costs?

Hi, thanks for stopping by, i have two questions does anybody know how much a hair transplant of
    5000 grafts would be and 7000 grafts?

secondly, why are staples used on the donar area instead of needle and thread to stich the skin back together?

thank you for ur time

Default Depends on the doc...

but typically IAHRS doctors charge approximately $4 to $5 per graft. Sometimes the graft charge lowers as the amount of grafts increase. Good luck to you.

Not all doctors will use staples to close the donor line; they will use whichever technique they are most comfortable with. Both of my surgeries involved the use of sutures. I am sure there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods, but from what I gather, staples tend to be more uncomfortable, but the end result of the scar lines are usually similar.

On another note, it would be unusual to get 5000 grafts during one surgery. You'd need a very high donor density, which my understanding is atypical of most patients. If you were talking 5000 hairs, then that would definitely be more feasible in one session.

With respect to costs, some physicians offer a travel discount if you are coming from out of town. I'm not sure who you might be looking to have a procedure done by, but this would be worth investigating depending on whether the clinic is in your backyard so-to-speak, or in another city or country....

Quote Originally Posted by jim22 View Post
    Hi, thanks for stopping by, i have two questions does anybody know how much a hair transplant of
    5000 grafts would be and 7000 grafts?

secondly, why are staples used on the donar area instead of needle and thread to stich the skin back together?

thank you for ur time
    jim22,

Most if not all docs will give you a price break once you hit over 3,000 grafts. And I am referring to strip primarily because very few of them will discount the price of FUE no matter how many grafts you enroll for.

Staples are used in place of sutures mainly to guard against stretching of the scar. Sutures were used on three of my four strip procedures. Staples were used on my fourth strip because I did not have as much laxity as the prior times.

There are a number of closing techniques which vary depending on what the HT surgeon is comfortable with and the individual profile and aspects of each case/patient.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You first need to determine if you are a candidate for a large procedure of 5000-7000 grafts in a single procedure. Many patients are not. I would not want to see you get your hopes up before you find out more information about your specific situation.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

This is why getting several opinions is critical!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I just received a consultation with IAHRS surgeon in Pasadena, CA (Dr. Paul McAndrews) at $9 per graft. I don't need very many . . . he recommended 1,600 . . . but that totals $14,400!! I was expecting it to be expensive, but that's over TWICE what I was considering paying.

Is that too much to spend? I was impressed with the facilities and think this guy could do a great job. But I'm having a hard time swallowing the price tag and want to make sure that I'm not being taken advantage of.

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by jwilly View Post
    I just received a consultation with IAHRS surgeon in Pasadena, CA (Dr. Paul McAndrews) at $9 per graft. I don't need very many . . . he recommended 1,600 . . . but that totals $14,400!! I was expecting it to be expensive, but that's over TWICE what I was considering paying.

Is that too much to spend? I was impressed with the facilities and think this guy could do a great job. But I'm having a hard time swallowing the price tag and want to make sure that I'm not being taken advantage of.

WOW 9$ a graph is WAYYYYY to much. Dont even think about going to this chump because its obvious he is just trying to scam you.

I am thinking about doing Hasson and Wong http://www.hassonandwong.com/ because they one of if not the best 2 in the world. They charge 5$ a graph up to 2000 and then 3$ a graph after.

Im also considering going to India and seeing Dr Madhu in India. He is one of the worlds best and charges WAY LESS then most (around 1.10$ a graph in some cases ive read) http://www.hairhospi.com/ is his website. He has some great results that ive seen from multiple patients over the last few years.

Awesome . . . thanks so much for the insight. I'll definitely keep looking!!

Dr. McAndrews is in southern California so I guess the celebrities could afford it so that’s what he charges. He’s also probably one of the best docs in the world considering he’s the medical instructor for the IAHRS and USC School of medicine. If I had those credentials I would charge the same.

The idea of going to India for a cheep hair transplant is ridiculous and you will probably regret your decision. Don’t be cheep when it comes to having this done, you will regret it in the end and you can never go back.