+ Reply to Thread

Default Concerned! Should I be

Hi all, I just turned 21. Wow! Gotta say I've been getting quite anxious about my hair within the past year. I've noticed potential receding/thinning overall. Decided to buzzcut on a whim. Does it appear to be MPB, and what Norwood stage would you say I am within? Thinking of beginning Minoxidill, but considering finasteride as well.
    I decided recently to get a buzzcut for the hell of it. I will attach before and after photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg

Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	66803   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg

Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	66804   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-3.jpg

Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	66805   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-4.jpg

Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	66806   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-5.jpg

Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	66807   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-6.jpg

Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	66808   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg

Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	66809  

Very good choice the buzzcut. I think it revealed a nice, masculine, norwood 2

Yes, receding hairline and top is thinning

Quote Originally Posted by patman787 View Post
    Hi all, I just turned 21. Wow! Gotta say I've been getting quite anxious about my hair within the past year. I've noticed potential receding/thinning overall. Decided to buzzcut on a whim. Does it appear to be MPB, and what Norwood stage would you say I am within? Thinking of beginning Minoxidill, but considering finasteride as well.
    I decided recently to get a buzzcut for the hell of it. I will attach before and after photos.
    Hi Patman,

Firstly it's important for someone of your age to do a little further research.

You could start by comparing yourself in photos you have over the past few years to how you look at present, this should indicate any recession in your hairline. If you have kept it short before and have pics then this could also show up any thinning in the hair that wasn't present before. The possibility that it existed before naturally and you have just now become aware of it cannot be discounted.

You should also look at the balding patterns of your immediate relatives, older brothers, uncles especially on your mum's side. Again this may well be a true indication of where you will end up.

As for you hairline, it is a bit high for your age but this is not a definite indication of any balding, it's not unheard of to have a naturally high hairline.

Sometimes a buzzcut especially those with thin calibre hair can show up some scalp as shown around your crown area. You might want to grow your hair out longer and see for yourself what difference it makes.

For now I would monitor the situation taking photos each month and comparing them for any minute signs of thinning/receding.

So depending on your findings with all the above you should have a clearer picture on where you stand. If it all points to early balding then you have the option to start on meds to help sustain and strengthen your hair. The big 3 being Finasteride (1mg), Minoxidil 5%, and Nizoral shampoo (2-3 times a week). Again do your research and be aware of the sides albeit rare (Finasteride). You could take a lower dosage more infrequently to counter any sides as many guys do.

As for surgery, you are too young (minimum age approx. 24 except in extreme cases where minor surgery can be done) and I personally think you do not need any at present. Grow your hair out a little longer as shown in your pic where it looks great, monitor every few months for the next few years and speak to your GP if you notice any definite changes about commencing meds.

Thanks again for reaching out, I really hope I've helped make things a little more clearer for you.

Shera
    UK Patient Advisor for Dr Tejinder Bhatti
    Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India
    Tel +44 7708 018667 (call / text / whatsapp)
    Tel 0800 634 8588 (UK Toll free number)
    Email UK@darlingbuds.com
    My Amazing Hair Transplant Story
    I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

I don't think you can come to a conclusion you are losing your hair from these photos. Have your scalp checked for miniaturization by someone, who knows what they are doing. It is completely normal to see scalp with your hair short. Remember that the scalp is 90% skin and 10% hair, to begin with.