+ Reply to Thread

Default New Hair Loss Product: Hairsil

I saw this the other day while shopping at the drug store. This stuff seemed to come out of nowhere. The product packaging references an "indpendent clinical study," and contains one before/after photo of what appears to be a bald patch on a man's head that filled in supposedly after treatment. The packaging also makes fairly bold claims suggesting that most users experienced some benefit from the product. The active ingredient is a peptide called TA-5. I can't seem to find references to the study and there seems be very little in terms of information or user reviews.

Thoughts?

This has actually been out for a while. I know a few women who have tried it and it didn't work for them. If it won't work for females, it is not likely going to work for males. This stuff is just one of the many over priced bottles of empty promises that is out on the market.

The only things that actually work to treat hereditary hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) are:

Propecia (or generic Finasteride - for men)

Aldactone (or generic Spironolactone - for women)

Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil)

Low level laser therapy.

Of those four above, only Propecia (1mg Finasteride) and Rogaine (2% & 5% Minoxidil) are FDA approved to treat androgenetic alopecia. The Hairmax laser comb i FDA cleared to treat androgenetic alopecia.

Nizoral (1% & 2% Ketoconazole) is a reasonable adjunct treatment. It probably helps women more than men but I feel it can be helpful for anyone with androgenetic alopecia when used appropriately (once or twice per week).

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    I saw this the other day while shopping at the drug store. This stuff seemed to come out of nowhere. The product packaging references an "indpendent clinical study," and contains one before/after photo of what appears to be a bald patch on a man's head that filled in supposedly after treatment. The packaging also makes fairly bold claims suggesting that most users experienced some benefit from the product. The active ingredient is a peptide called TA-5. I can't seem to find references to the study and there seems be very little in terms of information or user reviews.

Thoughts?
    There are thousands of similar products out there, that fail to deliver in reality. I myself have tried many.. none of them work. I even tried the famous Aminexil SP94 molecule ingredient, it did nothing for me.

You are right to look for ingredients, but I wouldn't put my faith in the peptide thing. Look for ingredients backed by real scientific studies ! That doesn't mean - go and buy propecia and minoxidil. There are other ingredients, natural ones, also backed by real studies but sadly less popular - especially with doctors and promoters of the pharmaceutical industry.

If You want to stop baldness - You need to look for anti-DHT stuff. I myself am going for natural DHT inhibitors, as drugs like propecia can deliver serious side effects. DHT is the problem - solution regardless if its oral or topical has to have the power to block DHT, only those ingredients deserve attention, regardless of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    There are other ingredients, natural ones, also backed by real studies but sadly less popular...
    They are unpopular because they do not work. Is is that simple. There is nothing more to it than that. There is no conspiracy. They simply do not work. Those "studies" you keep throwing around do not hold up to legitimate medical scrutiny. If you persist on this foolish course, you will eventually find that out for yourself.

There are plenty natural DHT inhibitors you should give a go if you're not willing to experiment with a drug that ruins other parts of people's lives.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    There are plenty natural DHT inhibitors you should give a go if you're not willing to experiment with a drug that ruins other parts of people's lives.
    Exactly. And don't let anyone tell You that are no studies about natural DHT inhibitors. There are plenty of studies - it just the propecia promoters dislike even the very thought of natural competition. I myself am using a number of the ingredients from the studies listed below and fingers crossed in the months to follow I'd very much like to be the proof that that there is a safe, side effects free alternative...

^ Prager N, Bickett K, French N,Marcovici G (2002). "A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of botanically derived inhibitors of 5-a-reductase in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia". J Altern Complement Ther 8: 148-52. PMID 12006122.

^ Raynaud, JP; Cousse, H; Martin, PM (2002). "Inhibition of type 1 and type 2 5alpha-reductase activity by free fatty acids, active ingredients of Permixon.". The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology 82 (2-3): 233–9. doi:10.1016/S0960-0760(02)00187-5. PMID 12477490.

^ Pais, P (2010). "Potency of a novel saw palmetto ethanol extract, SPET-085, for inhibition of 5alpha-reductase II.". Advances in therapy 27 (8): 555–63. doi:10.1007/s12325-010-0041-6. PMID 20623347.

^ Abe, M; Ito, Y; Oyunzul, L; Oki-Fujino, T; Yamada, S (2009). "Pharmacologically relevant receptor binding characteristics and 5alpha-reductase inhibitory activity of free Fatty acids contained in saw palmetto extract.". Biological & pharmaceutical bulletin 32 (4): 646–50. doi:10.1248/bpb.32.646. PMID 19336899.

^ Edgar AD. Levin R. Constantinou CE. Denis L. "A critical review of the pharmacology of the plant extract of Pygeum africanum in the treatment of LUTS.Neurourology & Urodynamics. 26(4):458-63; discussion 464, 2007" [Review]

^ Fujita R. Liu J. Shimizu K. Konishi F. Noda K. Kumamoto S. Ueda C. Tajiri H. Kaneko S. Suimi Y. Kondo R."Anti-androgenic activities of Ganoderma lucidum.", Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 102(1):107-12, 2005 Oct 31.

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    The problem is none of those "natural" DHT inhibitors do anything meaningful in any way to slow down, stop or reverse hereditary hair loss. None of them. Not a single one. If they actually did, they would likely have the same side effect profile as Finasteride.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    And don't let anyone tell You that are no studies about natural DHT inhibitors. There are plenty of studies - it just the propecia promoters dislike even the very thought of natural competition.
    This very thick line of BS you keep dishing out is getting really old. You are in the wrong forum. This forum is called "The Bald Truth". The truth is these "natural" remedies do not work. They never have worked and they likely never will work. Not a single one of those studies you keep peddling can stand up to legitimate scrutiny. You will never find legitimate evidence of anyone who has ever been able to slow down, stop or reverse hereditary hair loss with those so called "natural" remedies. You need to find another forum to peddle the BS you want to keep peddling. This is not the place for it. This forum is to help people find solutions that are proven to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    They are unpopular because they do not work. Is is that simple. There is nothing more to it than that. There is no conspiracy. They simply do not work. Those "studies" you keep throwing around do not hold up to legitimate medical scrutiny. If you persist on this foolish course, you will eventually find that out for yourself.
    This is so true. With hair loss treatments, whether on the early or advanced stages, if it's unpopular...then it is unpopular for a reason.

I have tried this product myself for 4 months, I did see some new growth but mostly thicker looking / feeling strands and faster growth for existing hair.

This very thick line of BS you keep dishing out is getting really old. You are in the wrong forum. This forum is called "The Bald Truth". The truth is these "natural" remedies do not work. They never have worked and they likely never will work. Not a single one of those studies you keep peddling can stand up to legitimate scrutiny. You will never find legitimate evidence of anyone who has ever been able to slow down, stop or reverse hereditary hair loss with those so called "natural" remedies. You need to find another forum to peddle the BS you want to keep peddling. This is not the place for it. This forum is to help people find solutions that are proven to work.
    Very nicely posted Tracy!