+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Day two, and a few questions

I just had my transplant two days ago. I have a few questions that I'd like your opinions on.

I'm a teacher and go back to school in 17 days. Do you think anyone will notice that I've had work done? Will the stubble still be present? That'll give me total of 19 days since the procedure.
    I'm 43. I had a small bald spot on the crown and then thinning around that. I had a comparatively small amount done. 1179 grafts, about 900 on crown area and a few hundred at front for fullness. This may sound strange but I don't want to have a thick head of hair. I'm hoping to fill it in some, but I think I would stand out if I had a thick head of hair after being thin for so long. It appears that the amount I had was rather small compared to a lot of you, so does it sound reasonable that I would get what I'm looking for?
    Last, the donor scar. I can conceal the scar now, but I don't want to have to worry about it forever. Of course, I still have stitches in place now so that makes it harder to conceal. How long does it take generally for the scar to heal? I like to wear my hair short on the sides and back and hope to do that again.

I appreciate any advice you can offer. I know that I'm at that stage right now that I'm getting paranoid and obsessive about this. I hope that diminishes once the scabs fall off.

Wink

okay, well, I was hoping I'd hear from some of you, but I guess there's a lot of us that read these and don't respond...that's what I did for quite some time before getting my transplant. At any rate, its day three. I have relatively no discomfort other than a bit of itching and tightness at donor site. I was able to shampoo today, although only patting the grafted area lightly. I turned the shower down as far as it would go so that it just barely trickled and allowed it to run over my head. That felt good! I'm anxious for the scabs to go away but know not to touch them. Until that time I am still wearing a cap in public but that seems to be working just fine. For anyone that's been through this, please feel free to jump in and answer some of my concerns!

I haven't had a hair transplant yet but I’ve been following The Bald Truth and the internet sites for what seems like forever It sounds to me that you are right on track and that you should be relatively undetectable in another two weeks. Since most of the work was done in the crown no one will notice anyway once you have your stitches removed. The stubble that you have from the grafts will shed in the coming weeks and begin to grow back in a few months. I think you gave yourself enough time to heal and go back to work without being detected. You should post some pictures, perhaps others will add their advice.

Chris

The grafts will fall out and you will start noticing them growing back at around 2-3 months.

Your crown might look red and you could say you got a sunburn.

Or you could also use a concealer on your crown.

Here's a video of using a concealer on the crown:

The top hair concealers are Toppik and Hair Cubed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to conceal it really, just hoping that the stubble doesn't stand out as a "look at me" thing. The skin in the donor site is already normal color with no redness. It's still numb a bit, and of course has the scabs. I understand they will fall off in another few days or a week so that's cool. I am just nervous about having a beard growth on my head when I go back to school. My doc said most of the stubble will probably fall out by then so I'm probably needlessly nervous. It's just hard not to be. I think I've looked at my head in the mirror a thousand times in the past few days!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you have this procedure done?

Matt

Dr. Buchwach in the Kansas City area. He's been extremely accomodating and has given me his home and cell number with instructions to call if I have any questions at all. Very nice guy and came recommended by another plastic surgeon in the area.

congratulations on the transplant. I am in the fort riley kansas area and the only iahrs doctor i could find was in Missouri. seems like you had a great experience with the doctor you went to in KC. Could you post some pictures if it is ok?

I wouldn't worry too much, most 3 week pics I see show the patient in pretty good shape, and very little evidence of work being done unless they shaved their head down. Did your doc shave your head?

But a part of me thinks that you should be happy not worried. I mean who how many co workers really remember exactly what you looked like?

I think of you don't cut your hair you will be fine.

You start early for school......

Default day 5

Okay...here's where I am day 5. No real discomfort at all, aside from a bit of numbness and tightness. Although still a bit uncomfortable when laying down to sleep. I've been able to wash my hair (kinda) with shampoo and basically I've just been looking at it a lot! LOL I wear a hat out but feel pretty good about it. yesterday some of the self-absorbing sutures came out. I called my doc and he said not to worry, it's all a part of the process. He's VERY understanding and nice. He said don't be afraid to get the hair wet, it's good for it so I've showered twice a day. The first three days I crisscrossed my fingers, but now I have the shower just turned down as low as it will go so that it trickles out. Trying to be patient!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair 001.jpg

Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1995   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair 002.jpg

Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1996