+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is my best bet?

HI, I am going to be 26 years old in a few days, I have been suffering from balding since 19 I believe. I have not gone to the doctor to get a real test but I know since my family has very thin hair, that I most likely have mpb from my dads side. I have been on fin for about 1 1/2 years and I have seen a significant amount of hair regrowth. The problem is that it has basically done all it can do. I have been basically wearing a hat for the last 2 years, this is very depressing to me but since I usually stay at home I didn't mind that much. However, it has come the time where I am going to be going out and I need help from you guys to suggest what my best scenario might be. I will also like to hear in what stage in mpb I am in, although I think I am a defuse thinner.

I want to know if I should wait for this new treatments to see if they work like L'attise and Loreal. Or do you guys think I might be able to pull off some sort of hair paint job and hide it as best I can. One major problem for me is that I am also very thin in the sides, in fact even more than in the top, which really sucks. I can trim it to zero and maybe have the top longer and spray? Comb hair down? Or should I consider looking for hair transplant which in my situation with very little donor hair might not be so good. Any advice you guys can give me is good but I just can't shave it completely bald. Here is some photos I took tonight, I have long hair here since I don't like going to the barber shop that much for obvious reasons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	back1.jpg

Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	15745   Click image for larger version

Name:	back2.jpg

Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	15746   Click image for larger version

Name:	side1.jpg

Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	15747   Click image for larger version

Name:	side2.jpg

Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	15748   Click image for larger version

Name:	top1.jpg

Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	15749   Click image for larger version

Name:	top2.jpg

Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	15750  

Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    Any advice you guys can give me is good...
    The very first thing you need to do is talk to a doctor who specializes in hair loss.

At only 1.5 years, you do not yet know if Finasteride has done all it is going to do for you.

There is an FDA approved hair growth stimulant available now. It's called Rogaine, but I cannot tell from your pictures if your pattern is appropriate for Rogaine.

Since you classify yourself as a diffuse thinner, you may be able to benefit from using the laser comb every other day. The laser comb is expensive though.

You may also benefit from using Nizoral shampoo once per week. For your regular washing, switch to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    The very first thing you need to do is talk to a doctor who specializes in hair loss.

At only 1.5 years, you do not yet know if Finasteride has done all it is going to do for you.

There is an FDA approved hair growth stimulant available now. It's called Rogaine, but I cannot tell from your pictures if your pattern is appropriate for Rogaine.

Since you classify yourself as a diffuse thinner, you may be able to benefit from using the laser comb every other day. The laser comb is expensive though.

You may also benefit from using Nizoral shampoo once per week. For your regular washing, switch to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.
    Thank for advice Tracy, do you think this shampoo is good for use

http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Paris-E...e+free+shampoo

It says it's sulfate free. I don't know about conditioner, I heard it makes your hair even thinner. Or I'm I wrong, anyways could you please recommend the ones you use.

Your hair characteristics would probably make for a good HT someday. In the meantime, check out Toppik, Dermatch, and other concealers. You have enough hair to get by using those products for the time being. You want to wait as long as possible before getting an HT. The concealers should at least get you out of the house without a hat.

Hi Erick,

I wondering which brand of Finas are you using?, I would like to suggest that if you are not using Propecia you should give a try, my experience with treatment is that Propecia works much better than other product such Proscar or generic Finasteride. I was using Proscar for more than 12 years and since I started with Propecia I had much better results than with the Proscar.

About Rogaine I would strongly recommend to you as it's a safe product recommended by FDA to growth hair locally where you apply the product and doesn't require prescription by doctor, at least here in my country, Spain.

A Hair transplant it could be also a good solution for you, considering your age and pattern, also it's a good thing that you are on treatment so we hope that the loss it can be under control.

Good luck with everything!

Do you have any studies that show this? As a diffuse thinner, I'd be curious to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    Thank for advice Tracy, do you think this shampoo is good for use

It says it's sulfate free. I don't know about conditioner, I heard it makes your hair even thinner. Or I'm I wrong, anyways could you please recommend the ones you use.
    I use Aveeno "Pure Renewal" Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner for my regular washing. On the days that I use Nizoral A-D shampoo I use Aveeno "Nourish+ Moisturize" conditioner.

If your hair is short and you would prefer to use a 2-in-1 rather than a seperate shampoo and conditioner, Aveeno also offers a 2-in-1 version of "Pure Renewal".

Quote Originally Posted by TJ1154 View Post
    Do you have any studies that show this? As a diffuse thinner, I'd be curious to read them.
    The study information is available from either the FDA's website, Bernstein Medical or from Hairmax's own website. I base my comments and recommendations solely on my own personal experience with my laser comb, not on study information.

The study information is available from either the FDA's website, Bernstein Medical or from Hairmax's own website. I base my comments and recommendations solely on my own personal experience with my laser comb, not on study information.
    Oh, I See. I was just going by what Spencer has said about it in the past:

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/hair-los...rcomb-studies/

"Dear Spencer,
    Months ago when you interviewed David Michaels, one of the inventors of the HairMax Lasercomb, he said that he was going to give you a copy of the study that Lexington presented to the FDA in order for the Lasercomb to gain market clearance, did you ever see the study, and if so what were your thoughts or any experts thoughts on it? – Chris
    ————————
    Dear Chris,
    I never did receive that study. The truth is I still haven’t seen any substantial evidence that the HairMax Lasercomb can effectively treat hair loss to any appreciable degree. I’m still waiting.
    Regards,
    Spencer Kobren"

Spencer and I agree on a lot of things. As far as I know, this is the only thing we don't agree on. I'm O.K. with that. I still love him. He is basing his opinion on his experience. I am basing my opinion on my experience and that of my sister's as well as the experiences other women have shared with me. Spencer himself will tell you some doctors have told him that some of their patients have benefited from it.