Default potassium and spiro, saw palmetto and the pill

Dr. Redmond,
    I am currently taking ocello. I am worried about my potassium levels becoming too high. I found a list of foods that contain potassium (list below) and am just concerned because so many foods contain potassium. How important is it to stay away from these foods, especially if I am able to get on spiro at some point? My second question is, is it safe to take saw palmetto with the pill? If so, do you know of any forms which are more potent or brands that are better than others? I know in your book you mention not being able to know which forms still have the potency for preventing hairloss. Thanks

raisins
    prunes
    apricots
    dates
    strawberries
    bananas
    watermelon
    cantaloupe
    citrus fruits
    beets
    greens
    spinach
    tomatoes
    mushrooms
    soy products
    veggie burgers
    peas
    beans
    turkey
    fish
    beef
    salmon
    cod

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zoekoritsi View Post
    Dr. Redmond,
    I am currently taking ocello. I am worried about my potassium levels becoming too high. I found a list of foods that contain potassium (list below) and am just concerned because so many foods contain potassium. How important is it to stay away from these foods, especially if I am able to get on spiro at some point? My second question is, is it safe to take saw palmetto with the pill? If so, do you know of any forms which are more potent or brands that are better than others? I know in your book you mention not being able to know which forms still have the potency for preventing hairloss. Thanks

raisins
    prunes
    apricots
    dates
    strawberries
    bananas
    watermelon
    cantaloupe
    citrus fruits
    beets
    greens
    spinach
    tomatoes
    mushrooms
    soy products
    veggie burgers
    peas
    beans
    turkey
    fish
    beef
    salmon
    cod
    Ocella (generic Yasmin) did not raise potassium in studies. Unfortunately, our society is awash in warnings. We need to be warned when there is a real risk but most medication warnings do not specify to whom the warning applies. With Ocella or spironolactone, potassium is an issue only for those with heart or kidney failure or on certain blood pressure or cardiac meds. For people without these conditions there is no need to avoid high potassium foods. Someone on blood pressure or heart meds should be sure any doctor who follows you is aware if you are on Ocella or spiro and agrees that spiro is safe.

Since individual situations vary, it is important for anyone starting to spiro to check with her doctor as to whether she has any issues with potassium.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.

thanks I was afraid to eat potatoes , and they are my favorite food.