+ Reply to Thread

Default Help a Mom out with 16 year-old son and hair loss!!!

Hello, I feel a lot of guilt right now. I didn't want my son to suffer hair loss but I knew that it was a strong possibility. Never imagined it would happen to my son at 16. I have female pattern hair loss myself at almost 46. Started around 42. Never thought I would lose my hair. Didn't realky think about my son's father having MPB bc he was military and always had it pretty short. Anyway, here I am with my son losing his temples and receding a little. Losing my hair has made me so depressed. No treatment has worked for me. How do I help a 16 year-old. I don't think he can take anything like Propecia until 18 or so...He will be 17 in 2 months. I made an appointment with a dermatologist that is supposed to be know about hair loss because he also does transplants. I don't want to give my son a complex or make him feel bad. I am afraid I have already done so. I just can't believe his hairline and temples and hairline changed so much in 6 months time. What would you do? I want him to have options and possibly treat the loss (if Rogaine can). I don't want him waiting too long and regretting it...Problem is he doesn't think he will get any worse and I know he has wrong. I have hairloss and see the minituarized hair at his temples and how his forehead appears larger. My son is slightly "on the spectrum" what would maybe be called slight Aspberger's at one time. He is not like a well-informed almost 17 year-old and socially awkward. He is thin and looks pretty young. Do I force the appointment and any treatment?? I have been through hair loss as a middle-aged woman and it hurts my self-esteem. How is a teen not out of high school supposed to deal? Suggestions or stories please, but be nice I am feeling a little fragile and confused. Please and thank you. Sorry for rambling post.

Dermatologist is a great start especially if he knowledgeable about hair lose. Rogaine doesn't work well for the hairline so don't expect miracles from that and he is too young for propecia. I have a friend and his son lost his hair as a teenager but looks great and has no issues with the girls but that may not become the case with your son. Even if he starts propecia it may not save his hair so don't expect miracles from it. Rogaine is everyday so he would have to be onboard with using it everyday or its a waste of time.
    Don't push him too hard and know there might be a better treatment in a few years, at least i hear that every few years
    Under no circumstances let this guy talk you into a transplant anytime soon.

I am calling BULLSHIT!!!

So what is different about THIS post, and the post from 10-24?

I think maybe YOU have some problems? And I am starting to think you are a serious troll or have some serious issues.

BaldBearded why do you care?
    I posted again to get another opinion besides yours. Are you a parent? Stop judging me.

Just went to derm yesterday. Confirmed son has mpb My son seemed not to believe him. Says he won't treat it. This was not the original derm we were originally going to see, I was told last minute that he only sees 18 year-olds for hair loss. This derm we saw saud son has seb derm and mpb. He offered propecia even though no one asked? He told ke low sides and that 17 wasn't to young. I don't know. If my son actually believed the diagnosis then he might want to at least use Rogaine but he says he doesn't care. I hope he doesn't regret decision.

The best product for thinning hair or hair loss is Monat's Intense Repair Treatment Spray! I use to have really thin hair and loss a ton of hair around my temples due to stress and anxiety and this spray has made me regain hair and thicken the area around my temples as well. I would recommend starting with that product and slowly start using the Intensive Repair Conditioner! You can find the products online here ... http://samanthamoniz.mymonat.com