+ Reply to Thread

Default How can I practice gratitute, when I get depressed whenever I look in mirror.

I keep reading that if you practice enough gratitude, you can change your life, and make it better.

How can I be grateful, as whenever I look in the mirror, I get extremely depressed with my extreme hair loss, looking old, odd shaped head, and huge looking forehead. I get depressed when I look at photos of myself, and see this huge appearing forehead. I feel so bad about it.

I always try and be grateful throughout the day, but hair loss just kills it completely. I end up being depressed, and it feels like my dreams get thrown away due to it.

Best thing I ever did was buzz it
    Hard to do at first but once I got use to it , and everyone else , I don't think about it any more .

Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post
    I keep reading that if you practice enough gratitude, you can change your life, and make it better.

How can I be grateful, as whenever I look in the mirror, I get extremely depressed with my extreme hair loss, looking old, odd shaped head, and huge looking forehead. I get depressed when I look at photos of myself, and see this huge appearing forehead. I feel so bad about it.

I always try and be grateful throughout the day, but hair loss just kills it completely. I end up being depressed, and it feels like my dreams get thrown away due to it.
    Feel ya, but just think about all the people in the world who are dealing with worse stuff and be happy for what you DO have. it's the only way. gratitude is not dependent on hair or looks in general. and if you can be grateful despite things like this then you are an even bigger human being.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post

or put it this way: you have two choices, you can either be depressed or you can accept things and focus on other things besides yourself. It's still your choice. Either way your hair is what it is, and there's no reason to throw any dreams out. Some guys can be happy rocking a shaved head, I have some friends who wear a hat all the time, but either way they move on and don't focus on their appearance, and are happy about the good parts of themselves. it's a challenge for all of us, and in this world only the intelligent and positive make progress. everyone has their problems to bear- everyone. imagine if shakespeare or michael jordan stopped producing and building their lives because they were bald. in the end everyone's looks fade, and it's your choice wether to make that an important part of life or not.

You don't have to be grateful about everything while balding--I am sure no one is. However, you are likely just isolating balding out of every other thing that encompasses your life, and so you generally perceive a lack of gratitude toward everything. Even though balding does infect and crossover to many areas of life, it can be contained to extents--though never completely remedied--but you just have to try and cultivate other things in life, and this will make baldness seem like a smaller problem than the larger and all-encompassing problem it is now.

Great advice!