New guy has questions. - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Question New guy has questions.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted to say that I feel really lucky to have found this forum!
    A little background, I was scheduled to have a hair transplant with Medical Hair Restoration. I gave them a deposit and everything. My mother decided to do some research on her own for me and found The American Hair Loss Association website. She sent me a link to what she read about chain hair transplant clinics and how they were not recommended, which of course concerned me.

Well, I cancelled my surgery after finding this information and I'm back to square one.

Now I have to find the right IAHRS surgeon for me and dread the idea of having multiple consultations. I know it's the smart thing to do but is it completely necessary? Can I just pick the closet one near me?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

HelpROGER,

Congratz on finding this Forum! I can tell you that you made the RIGHT decision in cancelling your surgery with MHR. Back in the year 2000, I had a small procedure completed with another large hair transplant clinic, and it was a mistake. In my experience, they did not care about my long term treatment, did not recommend any FDA approved medications, and simply leveraged my vulnerability as a hair loss sufferer to get me in their surgical chair. A-holes!!! And, the results were less than average.

Earlier this year, I had a 2nd surgery with an IAHRS surgeon (Doctor McAndrews in Los Angeles), and he has done an outstanding job for me. He softened up the slightly pluggy look in my hairline that was created in my first surgery, and he gave me a nice bump in hair density. I am so much happier now.

I've been listening to Spencer's show for almost a year now (The Bald Truth, check it out on Sundays at 5:00PM PST, it's awesome), and I have learned that the beauty of the IAHRS is that Spencer has done the homework for us in collecting the world's best hair transplant surgeons. He has an incredibly rigorous screening process, and admits only truly ethical surgeons with precise skill and genuine empathy and care for their patients. You can literally select any surgeon in the IAHRS and you'll love your results. In fact I read another post on this forum -- from someone named Spex, a patient educator for an IAHRS surgeon -- which was all about how to go about having a hair transplant. And, one of his recommendations is to select a surgeon that is local to you. So, in my opinion, you can pick the IAHRS surgeon that it local to you, have a consultation, and, if you feel good about it, then you're on your way to great results.

Check out the many before/after pics that IAHRS surgeons have posted on this forum -- their results are incredible. Just make certain you understand what you can expect from your hair transplant(s) -- which any IAHRS surgeon will tell you in your consultation -- and you should come out looking like a champion.

Of course if you have any questions about specific IAHRS surgeons, or anything else for that matter, call Spencer during his show and ask away. He's incredibly generous in his willingness to provide information and help to those seeking it.

Hope this helps,

TeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by HelpROGER View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted to say that I feel really lucky to have found this forum!
    A little background, I was scheduled to have a hair transplant with Medical Hair Restoration. I gave them a deposit and everything. My mother decided to do some research on her own for me and found The American Hair Loss Association website. She sent me a link to what she read about chain hair transplant clinics and how they were not recommended, which of course concerned me.

Well, I cancelled my surgery after finding this information and I'm back to square one.

Now I have to find the right IAHRS surgeon for me and dread the idea of having multiple consultations. I know it's the smart thing to do but is it completely necessary? Can I just pick the closet one near me?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Hey HelpRoger,

Teejay pretty much nailed it. The key is to feel comfortable with your decision to move forward with surgery and to understand the entire scope of any elective procedure.

I'm glad you found this forum, and I'm glad that you decided to hold off and to do your research. Hair transplant surgery is real cosmetic surgery, and should only be performed by qualified professionals.

I founded the IAHRS to separate the great hair transplant surgeons from the not so great ones. It's an organization comprised of the true leaders in the field. These are not only skilled surgeons but sympathetic, caring professionals.

I always advise prospective patients to have several consultations. You then can choose the surgeon you feel most comfortable with.

Questions To Ask Your Hair Transplant Surgeon

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=81
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

TeeJay and Spencer,

Thank both of you for your help! I'm going to take my time and have a few consultations.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

PS I listened to your show tonight Spencer. It's fantastic!

TeeJay and Spencer,

Thank both of you for your help! I'm going to take my time and have a few consultations.

You just dodged a bullet my friend! You owe your mother big time!

TeeJay and Spencer,

No problem.
    I'm glad you like the program....you should hear it when Dave's not hungover
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

but im never not hungover

actually, i only had 3 or 4 drinks the night before show...but they were doubles!! still that is nothing compared to the old days. ive cut back a lot on the drinking.