Can women use 5 % Rogaine - Page 4 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I was advised by my dermatologist to use the mens rogaine because it is stronger than womens.
    About 2 years ago I tried the womens for a few months and nothing happened. My hair has been thinning for at least 10 years, and I went through several months of a very stressful situation last year and my hair got so thin it was embarrasing. So in January I went to the derm. and she told me to use the mens 5% solution. After 6 months my hair is thicker than its been for decades. I don't like the feel of the stuff on my hair, but its tons better than having my scalp show. I advise women who are thinking about this to go ahead and give it a 6 month commitment and see how much it can help. I put it on twice a day.

Rogaine is FDA indicated for women in both 2% and 5% with similar results. The 2% should be administered twice daily while the 5% on needs to be applied once a day. Because the 5% once needs to be applied one time per day, it is associated with increased patient compliance. Other benefits of the 5% include decreased side effects such as itchy scalp and dandruff associated with this medication.

*Aphrodite also posts as rapunzel and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant - 1070 Powers Place Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011.
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice.

Would be good to know how you get on Sarah. I've been thinking about doing this too. But, have been weary about why the 5% it not marketed to women. Maybe females are more prone to the side effects? There are some helpful suggestions here. But, would be happier to hear about a real-life result.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sammygirl View Post
    Would be good to know how you get on Sarah. I've been thinking about doing this too. But, have been weary about why the 5% it not marketed to women. Maybe females are more prone to the side effects? There are some helpful suggestions here. But, would be happier to hear about a real-life result.
    Don't use Rogaine if you're pregnant or nursing. Other than that, the common listed side effect is dry itchy scalp which according to the Rogaine FAQs, goes away when you discontinue using it.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Default My personal campaign against thinning hair

Short of transplants and fake hair, I decided to wage war against my thinning hair.

I am a 69 year old female and started this four months ago. I use 5% Rogaine for men (foam now available in the men's version), I take Biotin everyday, I use a thickening shampoo and conditioner, and an amazing (but pricy) product called Eclipse to hide areas where my scalp shows through. Altogether, I am getting good results but not sure which of these strategies is most responsible because I started them all at once. I'm definitely getting regrowth from the Rogaine.

If you are concerned that 5% Rogaine will give you unwanted facial hair, I have the solution. It's Vaniqa!! OMG, I love this product. I had some facial hair before I started the Rogaine so I was using Vaniqa already. After using the Rogaine for 4 months, I see no difference in facial hair. Vaniqa is a miracle product. It virtually eliminates facial hair and what you do still get is very fine. Any doctor will write you a Rx for it but it's expensive, about $140 for 1.59 oz tube (at Costco) but that will last about 4-6 months.

Eclipse is great too. It's a super fine powder-like fiber that you dab on anywhere your scalp shows through after you fix your hair. Comes in a variety of colors. A 0.49 oz jar is about $25 on Amazon and lasts about 6 months.

Good luck to all.

Does anyone know if it can be used when one has hypertension?

Hi, I recently started using the 5% foam for men, and I've been wondering if I should be applying it once or twice a day?

Currently Rogaine sells the 5% foam for women and they've said to use it once a day.... so if I were using the 5% foam for men, does it mean that I only apply it once a day? Or should I apply it twice a day? Grateful if anyone can help.

i don't care, it is not available

Quote Originally Posted by janeliaoliao View Post
    Hi, I recently started using the 5% foam for men, and I've been wondering if I should be applying it once or twice a day?

Currently Rogaine sells the 5% foam for women and they've said to use it once a day.... so if I were using the 5% foam for men, does it mean that I only apply it once a day? Or should I apply it twice a day? Grateful if anyone can help.
    Minoxidil is very safe. The only side effect found for women was possible unwanted facial hair. Also it only works when the hair is recently falling out, for most people, and there's some terminal hair in the area. Women respond better than men. I think twice a day is a smart idea. It only works when it's on the scalp.

Minoxidil can fight hair loss in the temple hairline region as well.

The only side effect I get is fast growing nostril hair, and hair growing on my ears. But I use a really high concentrated amount, which can be dangerous if I use too much (thirty percent). As a result, I supplement my thirty percent with 5% foam at least once daily.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    Minoxidil is very safe. The only side effect found for women was possible unwanted facial hair. Also it only works when the hair is recently falling out, for most people, and there's some terminal hair in the area. Women respond better than men. I think twice a day is a smart idea. It only works when it's on the scalp.

Minoxidil can fight hair loss in the temple hairline region as well.

The only side effect I get is fast growing nostril hair, and hair growing on my ears. But I use a really high concentrated amount, which can be dangerous if I use too much (thirty percent). As a result, I supplement my thirty percent with 5% foam at least once daily.
    I see... Thanks for your help!