+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Drug companies are deliberately shelving cure research

I am by no means a 'conspiracy theorist' but I would be lying if I said that I am completely comfortable that the drug intend to find an outright cure that could reverse baldness for anyone.

Firstly it was roughly 2009 when Intercytex was at the verge of perfecting their hair cloning research when Pfizer bought them out, swiftly putting the patent on the shelf.

does anyone know that real progress (not only in the science) but of treatments actually hitting the market or is there only ever promises of this will "be ready in 5 years" ets that time and time again seems to be all these people say.

sorry to be pessimistic but I buy that with expensive daily use products like rogaine, propecia, alpecin shampoo, nirozal, laser combs etc ....why would they just cure it

I agree with you and I've been saying this all along. People on here argued with me so vociferously, it was like I was bashing a family relative or something. It's simple really, the pharmaceutical companies of today care about making money first and foremost. It's ridiculously obvious. They make all of the money in the world yet they can't or won't even cure a damn thing. Sure, they'll make viable treatments, but that's because a lifetime of treatments makes the pharmas a hell of a lot more money than a one time cure. It comes down to simple dollars and cents. I mean, I understand that some diseases are very hard to cure (like cancer or Parkinson's), but if the pharmaceutical companies can't even cure something like athlete's foot or excessive acne, then it makes it pretty obvious to me that they're not looking to cure diseases or conditions, but merely treat them. The money is in the lifetime of treatments, not the cure. And the so-called treatments for hair loss are utterly pathetic. Hell, to call Rogaine a hair growth stimulant is an utter joke because I haven't see that drug stimulate much of anything. I mean, take a look at this article: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a6OdEa5VFNV8. Some of these kids nearly regrew a full head of hair and it doesn't even matter that they had alopecia areata and not traditional baldness. The principle has nothing to do with the disease diagnosis. Stem cells were extracted from the hair-bearing area, multiplied in culture, and then re-injected into the bald areas of the scalp. This should've been ground-breaking news except I haven't heard anything about it for several years. This is because it would relegate shit like minoxidil and finasteride to the scrap heap, and put the hair transplant industry literally out of business. Major players would lose millions of dollars.

Inactive

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    if the pharmaceutical companies can't even cure something like athlete's foot or excessive acne, then it makes it pretty obvious to me that they're not looking to cure diseases or conditions, but merely treat them.
    I took Accutane thirty years ago, and it permanently cured my acne. I guess Roche must not have understood what they were selling.

I'm a believer in conspiracies -they're not theories but facts- but I'm not sure the fact that we still don't have a cure for the baldness curse has much to do with a conspiracy because the the pharmaceutical mafia have a lot to benefit from a cure or a treatment. The only thing is sometimes I feel that HT doctors might be pressuring "someone" to put hurdles in the path of those who are trying to make a cure for baldness. They're the ones who have the most to lose and a cure will most likely put them out of business. I don't know but I do know that what we don't know is much more than what we know (or lead to believe).

I also think there's a huge lack of interest (by researchers) in finding a cure for baldness and that's why in 2012 we're still nowhere close to finding an effective treatment/cure for what I believe is not so complicated a problem to solve.

Gmonasco, accutane may have worked for you but there are plenty of people who have not been cured at all from accutane and have either had to continue taking it for years or have altogether stopped taking it due to the drug's potent side effects. But the fact remains that these pharmaceutical companies have billions and billions of dollars at their disposal, yet they relatively haven't cured a damn thing, yet rake in billions and billions of dollars off of continual lifetime treatments that people pay big bucks for.
    VictimOfDHT, you seem like an intelligent dude and you make a lot of sense in your posts. You also seem very similar to me in what a disastrious effect hair loss has had on your life. On the outside, it may seem like there may not be a conspiracy against trying to cure baldness, but it just doesn't add up to me when you think about how much profit a pharmaceutical company would generate if they developed a cure or more effective treatment for baldness, yet so few companies/people are even attempting to cure it at all. That glaring dichotomy leads me to believe that there is at least some type of conspiracy. I mean, the options we have to treat hair loss right now are downright laughable in my opinion. You're right about the HT doctors; if there was a cure or more effective treatment for hair loss, they would be put out of business. It's no coincidence that they make millions and millions of dollars off of hair transplantation yet don't offer anything new or other than hair transplantation or some surgical derivative of hair transplantation. PRP is the only exception I can think of to this rule but most doctors don't even offer that anymore.

Firstly it was roughly 2009 when Intercytex was at the verge of perfecting their hair cloning research when Pfizer bought them out, swiftly putting the patent on the shelf.

I thought that Intercytex was bought by Aderans and is going forward with the research together with the Bosley clinics.

Hans from the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Haarconsument View Post
    I thought that Intercytex was bought by Aderans and is going forward with the research together with the Bosley clinics.
    ^ This is what actually happened. The research was not shelved by big pharma as the OP stated.

This is the link from Aderans regarding Intercytex

http://www.aderansresearch.com/pdfs/PR_ARI_US032510.pdf

From what I've read about Intrecytex the results were just not that
    good and didn't show super results.

I would rather see a company with a strong cash supply like Aderans
    own the research than a company like Intercytex who was having a hard
    time finding investors.

Inactive

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    accutane may have worked for you but there are plenty of people who have not been cured at all from accutane and have had to continue taking it for years
    But nonetheless, there were far more people whose acne was cured or permanently lessened by Accutane, thereby putting the lie to the notion that pharmaceutical companies won't market curatives.

Inactive

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    I feel that HT doctors might be pressuring "someone" to put hurdles in the path of those who are trying to make a cure for baldness.
    What leverage do HT doctors possess that enables them to "pressure" others into blocking scientific research? And what "hurdles" can this mysterious "someone" working on behalf of HT doctors place in the path of scientific research?

I also think there's a huge lack of interest (by researchers) in finding a cure for baldness
    Do you suppose all those researchers actually working on hair loss find satisfaction in toiling in a field that doesn't interest them and accomplishing little or nothing?