How long for finasteride to start working?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • win200
    • Jul 2012

How long for finasteride to start working?

Hey guys,

How long does finasteride typically take to start working? I started a six-week taper onto the drug on September 20th, so I've had about three months on the medication. Have to admit that I've not seen a decrease in shedding yet.

But I started minoxidil on October 17th, so I could be seeing a minoxidil shed that's offsetting benefit from the finasteride. Anyway, if folks could chime in regarding how long it took finasteride to start working for them, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!
  • rdawg
    • Jun 2012

Takes a year to get the full affect of fin. So dont give up if you dont see anything early.

Im at about 6 months, and I believe I'm just STARTING to see the benefits of it, I was shedding on and off for the past few months, hair has improved slightly now.(nothing significant though.)

Comment

• dex89
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by win200
      Hey guys,

How long does finasteride typically take to start working? I started a six-week taper onto the drug on September 20th, so I've had about three months on the medication. Have to admit that I've not seen a decrease in shedding yet.

But I started minoxidil on October 17th, so I could be seeing a minoxidil shed that's offsetting benefit from the finasteride. Anyway, if folks could chime in regarding how long it took finasteride to start working for them, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!
      It takes up to 8-12 months before you see some results. Depending on how your body takes it you might see earlier results. for shedding wise, I've stop withing 4 months but i also been on other hair products.

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rdawg
        Takes a year to get the full affect of fin.
        That is not accurate. Though it does typically take about 12 months to know if Finasteride is working for a man, the "full effect" as you state it can take longer. How much longer? It varies from man to man.

Comment

• rdawg
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
          That is not accurate. Though it does typically take about 12 months to know if Finasteride is working for a man, the "full effect" as you state it can take longer. How much longer? It varies from man to man.
          Essentially what I meant, If it doesnt do anything after 1 year It's highly doubtful you're going to thicken up after that.

On average most guys see the most benefit after a year, havent heard/seen many cases that take longer than that.

Comment

• frankJ
            • Sep 2012

Actually dude, I think it starts working the first time you take it. It starts blocking the production of DHT pretty quick, which is it's job. It doesn't promote hair growth in general though. So,if after a year youv'e kept you aren't loosing as much, or keeping what you have, it's been working, roughly speaking.

Comment

• win200
              • Jul 2012

Thanks, guys. This seems confusing because there are multiple benefits from Propecia, and the way that Merck phrases things--a year to "see results"--is confusing. What does "results" mean? A reduction in shedding? Regrowth? Increased fullness? Etc. I'm just curious about shedding reduction, specifically. I've heard lots of different figures, with some people claiming that it usually stops shedding within the first few months, then it takes longer for hairs that had shed to exit the telogen phase a regrow.

Comment

• baldybald
                • Jul 2012

Frank J comment is right, it starts working the first time you take it, and you notice the results after 6-12 months. few people start noticing after only 3 months, it depends how lucky you are.

Comment

• rdawg
                  • Jun 2012

Thanks, guys. This seems confusing because there are multiple benefits from Propecia, and the way that Merck phrases things--a year to "see results"--is confusing. What does "results" mean? A reduction in shedding? Regrowth? Increased fullness? Etc. I'm just curious about shedding reduction, specifically. I've heard lots of different figures, with some people claiming that it usually stops shedding within the first few months, then it takes longer for hairs that had shed to exit the telogen phase a regrow.
                  For the majority, it just means a halting of loss or the loss being slowed down alot.

For a moderate few it means a slight amount of regrowth/reinforcement in the hair.

For the best responders you may essentially go up .5 of a NW or even a full NW.

Before & after photo results of patients who use Propecia and/or Rogaine to treat hair loss. Click to see photos of more than 100 patients.

These are some of the positive results. The shedding itself varies alot from person to person, I`ve heard people shed on and off for months at a time, others only shed for a month or so etc. it`s all over the place, I personally started shedding at month 3(moderately) and only really stopped a couple weeks ago.

Comment

• Tracy C
                    • Sep 2011

Thanks, guys. This seems confusing because there are multiple benefits from Propecia, and the way that Merck phrases things--a year to "see results"--is confusing. What does "results" mean? A reduction in shedding? Regrowth? Increased fullness?
                    "Results" means your hair loss has either slowed down, stopped or you are gaining some hair back. Though the medication starts blocking DHT right away, it can take up to a full year for your hair loss to stop.

Comment

• mpbsucks
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by rdawg
                      Essentially what I meant, If it doesnt do anything after 1 year It's highly doubtful you're going to thicken up after that.

On average most guys see the most benefit after a year, havent heard/seen many cases that take longer than that.
                      Hey Rdawg, fin was working for me for foujr months and then just stopped. My scalp started itching again and shedding hair like crazy, did your scalp itch when you were going through the shed?

Comment

• kadin
                        • Apr 2015

Hello this is a late reply. But I was searching about this topic so others might do, so this is my story. I'm 36, oriental, thinning on the top for 2 years gradually then finally started propecia and Minox X2 daily and results were quick. I noticed regrowth after 1 month and now it's been 5 months and I say I have regained about 60-70% loss. I also used a Lazer comb for about a month and then stopped completely. I know it's different for everyone, I am grateful it has worked so well for me. Side effects for me was a fairly sizable 20-30 point drop in my blood pressure for the first 2 to 3 weeks. My blood pressure is normally a bit low at 110-130 range so I had some dizzy spells. Also in the first two weeks my libido did change a little bit, it's like I forget about sex or can easily go on without it until my GF attacks then I am all good to go, but that might we due to the lower blood pressure.
                        I wish you guys the very best of luck.

Comment

• RanDave
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by kadin
                          I noticed regrowth after 1 month and now it's been 5 months and I say I have regained about 60-70% loss.
                          You are the lucky one, who got the results so fast. Usually it takes from 3 to 12 months to get visible results. I've started notice the results on the 4th month of use.

Comment

• VegetaDBZ
                            • Apr 2015

Finasteride start working for me after 3 months.

Comment

• kadin
                              • Apr 2015

Glad its working for you too plus little update

Originally posted by RanDave
                              You are the lucky one, who got the results so fast. Usually it takes from 3 to 12 months to get visible results. I've started notice the results on the 4th month of use.

Glad its working for you too!!!

I was originally seeking the question, something along the lines of, when regrowth is happening, how does the regrowth rate change overtime, or when those the regrowth rate plateau expectations?

I have not found a good answer yet.

So this is my update I guess. For me I feel it is slowing down abit and I have taken propecia for 5 months and 1 week, I rarely forget to take the pill or do the drops, but as said before I stopped the laser comb after a month, those 11 minutes seriously drag.

Libido normal, blood pressure mostly recovered into the range but seeing the lower end more often and I am getting a bit fat.

Gents, the very best luck to you all.

Comment

Working...