20 year old guy majorly freaking out about receding hairline (is it MPB?!) WITH PICS

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jfox223
    • Sep 2012

20 year old guy majorly freaking out about receding hairline (is it MPB?!) WITH PICS

Hi all,

I'm a 20 year old student exhibiting significant (?) recession at both hairline corners and temples, albeit without discernible thinning in either vertex or anterior regions (I thinkkkk). My forehead has always erred on the larger-than-average, so at first I wasn't too startled; now, however, it's a little windscreen-esque. Coupled with my clinical depression, all this alteration to my hairline seems all the more exigent, and I would be sooooooooo grateful if anyone could 'guestimate' my NW classification/likelihood of MPB incidence. Additionally, my father and all his siblings/father have not balded, although a few have receded a little. Matrilineally, my grandfather has balded, and one of two uncles also balded. I suppose the probability of my carrying the X-chromosomal MPB gene is resultantly greater?

Anyway, I'll attach a few vvv unflattering pics for all to get a peek at what I'm rambling on about. Webcam's all I've got, so unfortunately the quality might not do my disgustingness justice.

After inspection of the crown pics, maybe I am thinning a little...
    Attached Files
  • wylie
    • Sep 2011

Your hairline looks perfectly normal. There was a time before the internet (around 20 years ago) when someone with a thick head of hair like yourself would have walked into a HT clinic and likely been told you are going bald and need surgery to correct it, you are very lucky those days can be negated through a few minutes on the internet.

It's okay to freak out over perceived "thinning" when you're a teenager or even at 20-21, it is not okay to pursue surgery looking like you do. Quite honestly, you have nothing to worry about. Your biggest problem might be figuring out why you are freaking out over hairloss.

Good luck.

Comment

• Lazoid
      • Sep 2012

Go and enjoy your life man u have nothing to worry about. Must b a gen y thing

Comment

• jfox223
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by wylie
        Your hairline looks perfectly normal. There was a time before the internet (around 20 years ago) when someone with a thick head of hair like yourself would have walked into a HT clinic and likely been told you are going bald and need surgery to correct it, you are very lucky those days can be negated through a few minutes on the internet.

It's okay to freak out over perceived "thinning" when you're a teenager or even at 20-21, it is not okay to pursue surgery looking like you do. Quite honestly, you have nothing to worry about. Your biggest problem might be figuring out why you are freaking out over hairloss.

Good luck.
        To be honest, surgery's not currently on the agenda at the moment anyway. You are saying, though, that I'm losing my hair? And I reckon my hairloss angst stems from nitpicking every minor fault in my appearance and blowing it somewhat out of proportion, which is symptomatically consistent with my depression. Thanks so much

Comment

• jfox223
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Lazoid
          Sorry: a 'gen y' thing? And thanks

Comment

• wylie
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jfox223
            To be honest, surgery's not currently on the agenda at the moment anyway. You are saying, though, that I'm losing my hair?
            No, I'm not, that's what you want me to say for confirmation of your angst, but your angst is unfounded and baseless. You need to find something other than your hair to obsess over, your girlfriend, your Xbox, or your mountain bike, those things are real and tangible, your hairloss, not so much.

You're welcome.

Comment

• jfox223
              • Sep 2012

Sorry: a 'gen y' thing? Thanks so much

Comment

• jfox223
                • Sep 2012

Hahaha; a bit of googling cleared up the 'gen y' conundrum:P

Comment

• sp8rky
                  • Jul 2012

I think your just showing off

Comment

• jfox223
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by sp8rky
                    I think your just showing off
                    Showing off what? I'm as sincere as any other poster on here. All I want is a Norwood estimate or something alike.

Comment

• Lazoid
                      • Sep 2012

I'm just on the cusp of gen x - I find a lot of gen y are hypochondriacs and spend far too much online. Go snowboarding and surfing mate. Stop hanging around forums till u can see your crown.

Comment

• StuckInARut
                        • Aug 2012

Let me put it like this man, if I had thick hair like that I wouldn't be on this forum, lol! I'm not an expert by any means but looks more like a mature hairline. The crown I wouldn't worry about it a lot of people have that spiral area where you can see the scalp but otherwise have thick heads of hair.

Comment

• jfox223
                          • Sep 2012

I'm just on the cusp of gen x - I find a lot of gen y are hypochondriacs and spend far too much online. Go snowboarding and surfing mate. Stop hanging around forums till u can see your crown.
                          Yeah but seeing my crown's exactly what I hope to avoid within the next couple of years:P Not that you're wrong, of course; I'm a hypochondriac if ever there was one...

Comment

• jfox223
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by StuckInARut
                            Let me put it like this man, if I had thick hair like that I wouldn't be on this forum, lol! I'm not an expert by any means but looks more like a mature hairline. The crown I wouldn't worry about it a lot of people have that spiral area where you can see the scalp but otherwise have thick heads of hair.
                            A mature hairline being NW2? And thanks for the advice. Crown issues wouldn't have featured except its visibility has grown a little in tandem with hairline recession. Or maybe that's the hypochondriac in imagining stuff!

Comment

• sp8rky
                              • Jul 2012

Some people just dont get humour.......

Comment

Working...