X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisis
    • Feb 2012

FUE or FUT dilemma

I'm torn between getting FUE or FUT.

I feel in a way the decision might be made for me in financial terms, because FUT is almost double the cost of FUE when you do the maths. A good FUE operation might be beyond my reach, sadly.

My big concern is the scarring. Can anybody who has had FUT offer their thoughts on this? I like to wear my hair short - guard 1, at the back and sides. I've been told that if I get FUT that would no longer be an option; guard 2 or 3 is a recommended minimum to avoid it being noticeable. This seems to defeat the point of getting a hair transplant at all, because I'd do so with the intention of having more hair styling options, not to restrict myself for the rest of my life.

I'd love some comments on this, so please chime in if you can offer anything to help my decision process. Especially interested in the views of people who've had FUT.
  • Winston
    • Mar 2009

You answered your own questions. FUT is not for you! Do not choose a procedure based on cost, this is a lifelong decision. If you can not deal with a scar, or the possibility of not being able to wear your hair short, do not commit to having surgery.

Comment

• nh 610 a
      • Feb 2012

From what I can see dude , it comes down to a personal choice if you want to wear your hair short then fue is the best option forget the cost its a lifelong decision that your making .

Comment

• chrisis
        • Feb 2012

I feel the decision is made for me, financially speaking :/

I do agree though

Comment

• Gandolf
          • Sep 2011

You have to also consider your future hairloss into the equation. If you have the potential of needing large amounts of grafts in the future you definitely want to be "stripped" now as opposed to after having a FUE procedure done, from what I've read. For me it's a no brainer to do a strip or 2 first to put me in the best position for maximum lifetime donor supply, but I also don't care about having to leave my hair a little longer, just something you should keep in mind before doing FUE even if you only need 1000-2000 grafts RIGHT NOW.

Comment

• DAVE52
            • Sep 2010

My suggestion, don't get a HT
            You're going to be chasing it for the rest of your life but if your set on it go FUE.......at least you want have the big scar to deal with later on in life

I read this on another site

we can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on HT, pills, lotions, and every other product out there. In the end though none of the things out now are a permanent solution for hair loss and most of them have side effects. In the end we can't really beat genetics so why spend the money trying. We need to accept who we are and move on with our life,

I only wish I could accept my hair loss

Comment

• Gandolf
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DAVE52
              You're going to be chasing it for the rest of your life but if your set on it go FUE.......at least you want have the big scar to deal with later on in life

I read this on another site

we can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on HT, pills, lotions, and every other product out there. In the end though none of the things out now are a permanent solution for hair loss and most of them have side effects. In the end we can't really beat genetics so why spend the money trying. We need to accept who we are and move on with our life,

I only wish I could accept my hair loss
              I disagree with you. Hair Transplant surgery has it's limitations, but as long as you go to a top surgeon you will almost certainly come out looking better than you would have.

Comment

• Still-Researching
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Gandolf
                I disagree with you. Hair Transplant surgery has it's limitations, but as long as you go to a top surgeon you will almost certainly come out looking better than you would have.
                I will agree to above.

Chrisis, reading your posts - I would save up for a FUE or not have a HT and shave down later when your hair loss gets worse (provided you will not take FIN and you might keep what you have for 10-15 years if you are lucky) - you look good today - saw your pictures in an earlier post.

Do not go for FUT - you will not be able to shave down to a 1-2 grade clipper. With FUE from a top surgeon - Feriduni, Rahal or Feller you can and I am positively that you will look better after - I put my money where my mouth is - but jury is still out until 10 months from now :-)

Go for a none aggressive hair line and then if you have more hair greed - lower the hairline a bit later. This is also the way Feller does it, he usually only take like 1200 tops per session. Feriduni and Rahal can do it in one go, with good results, but its +11.000 EUR surgery if you need 2500 grafts, so it is a significant financial commitment especially at your age.

Comment

• chrisis
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Gandolf
                  You have to also consider your future hairloss into the equation. If you have the potential of needing large amounts of grafts in the future you definitely want to be "stripped" now as opposed to after having a FUE procedure done, from what I've read. For me it's a no brainer to do a strip or 2 first to put me in the best position for maximum lifetime donor supply, but I also don't care about having to leave my hair a little longer, just something you should keep in mind before doing FUE even if you only need 1000-2000 grafts RIGHT NOW.
                  I think my hair loss is quite slow. I'm 28 and only have a receded hairline. I think I could probably do FUE and it wouldn't be too risky, but it's a fair point.
                  Every hair loss "solution" seems to come with compromises.

I disagree. There are so many men whose lives have been transformed because they've had an HT.

Originally posted by Still-Researching
                  Chrisis, reading your posts - I would save up for a FUE or not have a HT and shave down later when your hair loss gets worse (provided you will not take FIN and you might keep what you have for 10-15 years if you are lucky) - you look good today - saw your pictures in an earlier post.

Do not go for FUT - you will not be able to shave down to a 1-2 grade clipper. With FUE from a top surgeon - Feriduni, Rahal or Feller you can and I am positively that you will look better after - I put my money where my mouth is - but jury is still out until 10 months from now :-)

Go for a none aggressive hair line and then if you have more hair greed - lower the hairline a bit later. This is also the way Feller does it, he usually only take like 1200 tops per session. Feriduni and Rahal can do it in one go, with good results, but its +11.000 EUR surgery if you need 2500 grafts, so it is a significant financial commitment especially at your age.
                  Thanks Still_researching.

Ideally I'd save the money and get it done later, but I feel at 28 I need to do something now. I'd have to save hard for a good few years, by which time I feel I'd be putting my life on hold If I absolutely have to I'd do a graft and deal with it, but I'd so much prefer FUE.

Really wish I had a spare 13k kicking around.

Comment

• DAVE52
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by chrisis
                    I disagree. There are so many men whose lives have been transformed because they've had an HT.
                    Yup. And there are those who regret it or look like glorified comb overs
                    Your call
                    It;s your head
                    At 28 Im guessing you will have future hair loss right to the crown
                    Be prepared to either live with it or continue for more hT's
                    Rememmer it's not a full dense head of hair
                    It's an illusion
                    Good luck on whatever ever you choose, though .

Comment

• Gandolf
                      • Sep 2011

Yup. And there are those who regret it or look like glorified comb overs
                      Your call
                      It;s your head
                      At 28 Im guessing you will have future hair loss right to the crown
                      Be prepared to either live with it or continue for more hT's
                      Rememmer it's not a full dense head of hair
                      It's an illusion
                      Good luck on whatever ever you choose, though .
                      It's only a "glorified comb over" if you are completely bald on top and it becomes an issue of supply and demand. There are many, many people who experience hairloss significant enough to affect their appearance, but still have more than enough to work with to fix the problem areas.

Comment

• chrisis
                        • Feb 2012

Also, even if my balding did progress, a good HT (2500 grafts) will buy me time. I think most of us would assume there will be better solutions within 5-10 years.

My balding is very slow with no sign of loss at the crown (touch wood). My grandfather on my Mum's side didn't lose hair at the crown either.

Comment

• Folly
                          • Nov 2011

I think if you are an NW2-NW3, then recreating your hairline with a HT is an ideal solution. With the hairlines produced by docs like Feller and Rahal, you can pretty much go back to your original head of hair (pre MPB) with 2000-3000 grafts. When you drift into NW4++, then i think the patient needs to understand what can be achieved with a HT. But for an NW2 - NW3, i think a HT is great, assuming their hair loss is progressing slowly or completely stopped.

Originally posted by chrisis
                          (touch wood).
                          You able to do that yet mate ? Sorry, bad joke. The sides from propecia gone yet? I've cut down to 0.25mg daily. I seem to go through weekly patches with my libido. Some weeks it's ok (nowhere near what it was, but enough that i can live with it) and other times like now, it's non existant !!

Comment

• chrisis
                            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Folly
                            But for an NW2 - NW3, i think a HT is great, assuming their hair loss is progressing slowly or completely stopped.
                            Yeah, by that definition I'd be a good candidate.

You able to do that yet mate ? Sorry, bad joke. The sides from propecia gone yet? I've cut down to 0.25mg daily. I seem to go through weekly patches with my libido. Some weeks it's ok (nowhere near what it was, but enough that i can live with it) and other times like now, it's non existant !!
                            Haha. Still got side effects sadly. My libido isn't too bad now, but my dick still feels a bit like it's lost sensitivity and orgasms aren't as enjoyable. Hopefully it'll go back to normal.

It's horrible having no libido. I don't think people realise the effect it has on the male psyche unless they've been through it.

Comment

• Jotronic
                              • Nov 2008

Your concerns and observations appear to be logical and I can see the conflict you are dealing with. However, as you said the results from surgical hair restoration are indeed supposed to allow you to have more styling options. You stated that your fear with FUT is that you won't be able to have your hair cut shorter than a #2 or #3 and you currently enjoy a #1 cut.

The problem is that I don't know of a single FUE clinic that would guarantee you that there would be zero visible evidence of surgery at a #1 guard and any that do, well, you'd have to question their motives and abilities. Yes, they can obviously guarantee no strip scar but your goal is to be able to continue your current hair style and not have any visible effects. No one can guarantee this.

The patient below had the same concern that you do in that he had somewhat mild loss in the form of temple and hairline recession but he wanted to maintain his options. We took the donor strip higher up (still in the safe zone) for 2970 grafts and he can easily pull off the "high and tight" look with a #1 guard on the lower perimeter with the length tapered out longer toward the top. It works quite well on the right patient.

There is also the option of just not doing anything and that is always a great idea but make no mistake, if you do have a procedure, regardless of which type, there will be compromises of some sort. You just have to figure out if you can accept them.
                              www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Comment

Working...