X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbtadmin
    Administrator
    • Sep 2008

Video Presentation of PRP Injection Procedure for Hair Loss

The patient shown participated in the original PRP/hair loss study. This video depicts his second procedure at 11 months.

• Andyman79
    • Apr 2009

New to all this but keen to expand my knowledge, I noticed that Dr Greco was using a '1mm microneedle' in this proceedure, do you think something like the Nanogen Scalproller, which I think is 0.5mm, would have an effect in prp?

I can kind of understand the benefit of using a microneedle in a clinic but is there any real benefit for home use?

Many thanks

Andy

Comment

• pdouble
      • Aug 2009

Hi...PRP

This procedure is good, though properly it will not bring back hair once the follicure is dead, but it may help heal the daying once. QUESTION: HOW MUCH DOES THE PROCEDURE COST?? DOES ANY ONE KNOWS.

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
        Ph.D
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Andyman79
        New to all this but keen to expand my knowledge, I noticed that Dr Greco was using a '1mm microneedle' in this proceedure, do you think something like the Nanogen Scalproller, which I think is 0.5mm, would have an effect in prp?

I can kind of understand the benefit of using a microneedle in a clinic but is there any real benefit for home use?

Many thanks

Andy
        Good question Andy. I look at the micro needling as both a stimulation devise and a delivery devise. It will initiate the Stat 3 and if patients are using a topical I think delivers the product into the scalp better. JG

Comment

• Andyman79
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Dr Joseph F. Greco
          Good question Andy. I look at the micro needling as both a stimulation devise and a delivery devise. It will initiate the Stat 3 and if patients are using a topical I think delivers the product into the scalp better. JG
          Many thanks for your reply Dr Greco,

So, in principal, the potential additional benefits of using a scalproller may make it worth thinking about for use with topical solutoins at home?

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
            Ph.D
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Andyman79
            Many thanks for your reply Dr Greco,

So, in principal, the potential additional benefits of using a scalproller may make it worth thinking about for use with topical solutoins at home?
            I think so Andy I have recommending this to my patients for quite some time. JG

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
              Ph.D
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by pdouble
              This procedure is good, though properly it will not bring back hair once the follicure is dead, but it may help heal the daying once. QUESTION: HOW MUCH DOES THE PROCEDURE COST?? DOES ANY ONE KNOWS.
              That is correct it will only work on hair that is there. However, in Alopecia Areata, where the stem cells are dormant and hairs are not seen, 70% of the patients in our study it did grow hair back in the PRP treated group. The procedure cost $800 to $1K. in my clinic. Thank you. JG

Comment

• brentipold
                • Sep 2009

prp

That is correct it will only work on hair that is there. However, in Alopecia Areata, where the stem cells are dormant and hairs are not seen, 70% of the patients in our study it did grow hair back in the PRP treated group. The procedure cost $800 to $1K. in my clinic. Thank you. JG

Dr. greco, what would you say your success rate would be with androgenic alopecia? Also Id like to know your reasoning as to why prp would not work on someone who has just started in the thinning stages?... Ive seen people say they have had no success with it and had mostly a decent head of hair..

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                  Ph.D
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by brentipold
                  Dr. greco, what would you say your success rate would be with androgenic alopecia? Also Id like to know your reasoning as to why prp would not work on someone who has just started in the thinning stages?... Ive seen people say they have had no success with it and had mostly a decent head of hair..
                  Thank you for your questions. First, what are we defining as success and what realistic expectations should patients have? A successful treatment would be some or all of the following: (1) “maintaining” existing non transplanted hair (2) noticing or having others notice an improved condition of your scalp and hair (3) a decrease in shedding of hair (4) an increase in the aesthetic density of your hair.

That being said, most patients we have treated noticed some of these. Does this work in all of patients and is everyone pleased, absolutely not, just as is the case with other therapy including hair transplant surgery. What is most important, no patients, have reported side effects or shedding post treatment with PRP we treated the past two years..

Promised or perceived unrealistic expectations would be: (1) to expect a full thick head of hair (2) to expect to grow hair in an area that experienced miniaturization for years or a bald area (3) to expect hair to look thicker if hair is cut short.

I don’t understand your question, “Id like to know your reasoning as to why prp would not work on someone who has just started in the thinning stages”? A young patient just beginning to thin is a good patient for this.

Bottom line is that physicians must explain and patients must realize this is an experimental therapy, but safe, therapy that we are beginning to understand.Thanks for your questions, JG

Comment

• brentipold
                    • Sep 2009

Thank you for your questions. First, what are we defining as success and what realistic expectations should patients have? A successful treatment would be some or all of the following: (1) “maintaining” existing non transplanted hair (2) noticing or having others notice an improved condition of your scalp and hair (3) a decrease in shedding of hair (4) an increase in the aesthetic density of your hair.

That being said, most patients we have treated noticed some of these. Does this work in all of patients and is everyone pleased, absolutely not, just as is the case with other therapy including hair transplant surgery. What is most important, no patients, have reported side effects or shedding post treatment with PRP we treated the past two years..

Promised or perceived unrealistic expectations would be: (1) to expect a full thick head of hair (2) to expect to grow hair in an area that experienced miniaturization for years or a bald area (3) to expect hair to look thicker if hair is cut short.

I don’t understand your question, “Id like to know your reasoning as to why prp would not work on someone who has just started in the thinning stages”? A young patient just beginning to thin is a good patient for this.

Bottom line is that physicians must explain and patients must realize this is an experimental therapy, but safe, therapy that we are beginning to understand.Thanks for your questions, JG

I apologize for the bad wording. I guess what im trying to ask is, What is your theory on why is it not as effect as it is in some people, and very effective on others.?

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                      Ph.D
                      • Apr 2009

I apologize for the bad wording. I guess what im trying to ask is, What is your theory on why is it not as effect as it is in some people, and very effective on others.?
                      Great question I wish I had the answer. Same thing with Rogaine and finasteride...why do some people have great results and others no results? Again, we are just beginning to observe and understand. I have had four patients ( younger in their 20's) tell me me that "they and others" notice that their hair is darker after the treatment. While that is anecdotal it is still four people saying the same thing and others observing that their hair appeared darker. JG

Comment

• brentipold
                        • Sep 2009

Great question I wish I had the answer. Same thing with Rogaine and finasteride...why do some people have great results and others no results? Again, we are just beginning to observe and understand. I have had four patients ( younger in their 20's) tell me me that "they and others" notice that their hair is darker after the treatment. While that is anecdotal it is still four people saying the same thing and others observing that their hair appeared darker. JG
                        Thank you for your honesty Dr. Greco. One last question I have is, do you think doing these treatments 2 month apart from one another would be more effective? I guess the first question I should have asked is have you already experimented with this..?

thanks.

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                          Ph.D
                          • Apr 2009

Thank you for your honesty Dr. Greco. One last question I have is, do you think doing these treatments 2 month apart from one another would be more effective? I guess the first question I should have asked is have you already experimented with this..?thanks.
                          Good question and the answer is, no!….. The reasoning is because there are distinct phases that platelets and GF's go through in this process. First, there is the Inflammatory phase that lasts 24 to 48 hours where you get a heighten immune response because the platelets, when activated with thrombin, begin to extrude the alpha granules from the platelets. Picture a platelet as an envelope filled with growth factors and when exposed to thrombin the envelope opens and the GF’s are released. They begin to send chemical signals like emails and faxes to surrounding GF’s to come back to the treated area to mobilize the army so to speak, hence we have this immune response by the body and a pro inflammatory period of 24 to 48 hours. This is a good healthy response.

Next we have the Proliferation phase. In the next two weeks or so, after the degranulation of the platelets, new fibroblasts come into the treated area and begin to lay down new collagen cells. Angiogenesis ( the formation of new blood vessels ), which is what we want, because three independent studies show VEGF (a pro angiogenic GF), which is prevalent in PRP along with leukocytes ( white blood cells that fight infection that are increased 6 to 8 times in PRP and produce VEGF) increase vascularity to the follicle and when that happens, “ the follicle and follicle unit get bigger”. This continues for the next 4 to 6 weeks after the proliferation phase and this is called the Remolding phase when mitogenesis or the (formation of new cells occurs).

So you see this is a natural process of the body to heal itself and we need to give it time to work. When we do Orthobiologic injections to repair torn tendons, ligaments and muscles this is the same process and how it works. Hope this explains why we don’t like to rush nature. This is truly Regenerative Medicine. JG

Comment

• brentipold
                            • Sep 2009

Good question and the answer is, no!….. The reasoning is because there are distinct phases that platelets and GF's go through in this process. First, there is the Inflammatory phase that lasts 24 to 48 hours where you get a heighten immune response because the platelets, when activated with thrombin, begin to extrude the alpha granules from the platelets. Picture a platelet as an envelope filled with growth factors and when exposed to thrombin the envelope opens and the GF’s are released. They begin to send chemical signals like emails and faxes to surrounding GF’s to come back to the treated area to mobilize the army so to speak, hence we have this immune response by the body and a pro inflammatory period of 24 to 48 hours. This is a good healthy response.

Next we have the Proliferation phase. In the next two weeks or so, after the degranulation of the platelets, new fibroblasts come into the treated area and begin to lay down new collagen cells. Angiogenesis ( the formation of new blood vessels ), which is what we want, because three independent studies show VEGF (a pro angiogenic GF), which is prevalent in PRP along with leukocytes ( white blood cells that fight infection that are increased 6 to 8 times in PRP and produce VEGF) increase vascularity to the follicle and when that happens, “ the follicle and follicle unit get bigger”. This continues for the next 4 to 6 weeks after the proliferation phase and this is called the Remolding phase when mitogenesis or the (formation of new cells occurs).

So you see this is a natural process of the body to heal itself and we need to give it time to work. When we do Orthobiologic injections to repair torn tendons, ligaments and muscles this is the same process and how it works. Hope this explains why we don’t like to rush nature. This is truly Regenerative Medicine. JG

Okay thank you Dr. Greco, that clears things up a bit. Ive already had the treatment with Dr. Feller about 6 weeks ago. I just wanted a better explination as to why It might not works. Thanks again for answering my questions.

Comment

• glennaz
                              • Sep 2009

PRP treatment form women

Where can one go to find a treatment facility in the Pacific Northwest?

Comment

Working...