Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigmac
    • Nov 2008

My hair transplant 12 years later

Thought I’d add an update on how my hair looks 12 years after my first hair transplant repair surgery back in 2008.

I had two main repair surgeries, both strip and both involved excising out old strip scars. They were in 2008 and 2009.

I did have grafts placed in the hairline as well. I’ve had a few small touch ups using beard, scalp and nape hair, these were quite small, so I never bothered documenting them.

I’ve been on Finasteride since 2005. This has definitely helped me and prevented me from losing my hair.

My hair in the 2nd part of the video is cut to a grade 3 and slightly longer scissor cut on top, possibly a grade 4.

Before the internet was available I fell victim to an unscrupulous hair transplant doctor who did terrible work. Fast forward 2005 I began taking Finasteride...
  • BuzzBaldrin
    • Mar 2019

Hi bigmac, Thanks for taking the time to record and share this video. Could you give a brief summary of the timeline of your procedures including your age, graft no, transplant methods, transplant location etc? I’ve seen your name on another forum a lot so if you’ve already posted this somewhere could you let me know where I can find it? All the best.

Comment

• bigmac
      • Nov 2008

Hi Buzz.
      To be honest I have not documented all of it.
      Main surgery was in 2008. I had FUT 1600 grafts, 2009 I had FIT 1300 grafts. Both were excising out old strip scars.
      I had 300 beards grafts added to crown and mid scalp area. I’ve had temp SMP and semi permanent SMP 4 years ago which has all by vanished now.
      I went to SMG.

Comment

• bigmac
        • Nov 2008

That is FUT not FIT

Comment

• Spex
          Dr Representative
          • Nov 2008

Great video Bigmac. Nice to see you on here ! When I saw you in Manchester your hair looked great. Keep up the great work
          Regards
          Spex
          Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• bigmac
            • Nov 2008

Cheers Spex. I’m hoping my video will show people what can be achieved with proper planning.
            I fear in ten years there will be a wave of disgruntled patients regretting the decisions they made this present time.

Comment

• clee984
              • Feb 2010

Looks fantastic! Is giving me some serious hair-greed envy, must admit.

Comment

• bigmac
                • Nov 2008

Hi Clee. Managing the donor and choosing a good doctor who will best use your grafts is important.

Comment

• JoeTillman
                  • Jul 2014

Looks great, Bigmac. Congratulations! The combing looked very professional as well
                  Joe Tillman
                  The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
                  See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Comment

• bigmac
                    • Nov 2008

Cheers Joe. Managing and keeping what hair we have is important. Too many don’t think about this, especially the younger patients out there.

Comment

• BuzzBaldrin
                      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by bigmac
                      I fear in ten years there will be a wave of disgruntled patients regretting the decisions they made this present time.
                      Do you mind sharing how old you were when you had your first surgery in 2008? I’m seeing plenty of people under 25 getting thousands of grafts in the front third. Of course some results look great for now...

Comment

• bigmac
                        • Nov 2008

Hi Buzz

My first surgeries were in the late 90’s, my first repair surgery was 2008. I was 42 going on 43.

I looked at your thread. Your hair looks ok to me. I would not do anything if I were you. If you can genuinely see thinning, maybe consider the meds to prevent future loss.

If I’d known about Finasteride way back then, maybe I’d never have needed a HT.

Hope that helps you.

Comment

• BuzzBaldrin
                          • Mar 2019

I looked at your thread. Your hair looks ok to me. I would not do anything if I were you. If you can genuinely see thinning, maybe consider the meds to prevent future loss.
                          Thanks for the response. My hairs deteriorated since my last pics ~7 months ago. Being 24 and shedding what I consider to be a lot of hair daily, I’d be silly to undergo surgery now. I’ve been on Fin almost two years and min for over 3... but no sign of the hair lost stabilising...yet. I’ll keep my fingers and toes crossed that I’ll be a good candidate one day, and can attack it with a plan, as you eventually did!

All the best.

Comment

• clee984
                            • Feb 2010

Hi Clee. Managing the donor and choosing a good doctor who will best use your grafts is important.
                            Thanks mac, when you say 'managing the donor', do you mean making sure to go with a good doctor? Or just continuing to take propecia? I think my donor is still ok but obviously every little bit helps.

Jealous of your amazing head of hair anyway! Also want to say that it's great you come back on the forum to show your results and help others out. Cheers.

Comment

• bigmac
                              • Nov 2008

Have you had a consultation with a HT doctor or seen your family doctor just in case it is some other reason you are losing your hair?

Comment

Working...