What effect would an affordable baldness cure have on the world?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fixed by 35
    • Mar 2010

I should probably clarify how baldness is becoming less acceptable in society today. Some examples include:

1) High profile celebrities are getting hair transplants and being open about them. In return, they are being applauded both for their honesty and their new look. Hair transplants are no longer the surgery of the insecure; they are becoming the surgery of people who care enough about their appearance to do something about a big flaw, baldness.

2) Bald people on TV are actually on the decrease, except if they play undesirable characters. Various celebrities are cited as bald pin ups but they haven't actually changed for the eight years that I've been losing my hair. In 2003, it was Willis, Stratham and Vin Diesel... now it's, well, Willis, Stratham and Vin Diesel. Also, find me a single bald star in their 20s now. Those who have balded since, such as Jude Law, are generally more likely to evoke sympathy than being considered as a future star for the 'bald wall.' I very much doubt that anyone will be added to that list again.

3) The UK very obviously has a toupee wearing Prime Minister. It is starkly obvious, as Cameron was losing his hair about 2 years ago but ever since newspaper reports of the same has had a full head of hair. Clearly he is paranoid about his electoral chances were he to go bald. In the past, bald men have always lost elections but they've never realised themselves how starkly unacceptable baldness was. Cameron's actions are clearly an acceptance that the leader of the UK must never be seen to be bald again.

Comment

• Weedwacker
      • Sep 2010

I don't agree that baldness is becoming less acceptable. I think, to a certain extent, it has never been particularly acceptable. Now is no different. In fact, one could argue that baldness has become a little more acceptable in certain circles because, as is evidenced by societal norms, the shaved head is a fashion trend - whereas in past times it was not. How many men with hair transplants have openly admitted to them? I believe they are scorned more than lauded.

Perhaps bald men are not the perfect idol on televison - but that does not prove much. Television is a fake representation of the world; it is not reality. Certain things are accepted on TV - but not others. For example, it is accepted for a man to be a stupid, fat and unshaven slob on TV. A man is also encouraged to be a complete reprobate. There are plenty of spurious things in the media, especially image and behavior.

I agree that bald men will never fair very well in the political realm; however, politics is not based on merit anyway, so who cares? I would rather live in a society in which people are chosen for roles based on merit than on a false perception. If people are that stupid (and they are) then we, as a society, are doomed anyway. When the U.S. suffers an economic meltdown due to unrestrained welfare and military spending - because of the morons the people elected, baldness won't matter so much, will it? When the U.S. economy collapses, perhaps people will learn a lesson about voting for a candidate because of his 'hair' or 'image'.

There is one problem with the 'baldness is the end of the world' camp: it is myopic. There is no doubt that hairloss has an effect on potential romantic, interpersonal relationships. Perhaps it has an untoward effect on some professionals as well. The problem is that there are many 'flaws' which may be construed as flaws. Will it get to the point where men will be 'expected' to get hair if a cure comes? No, because people are not expected to get face lifts, liposuction and nose-jobs. People have flaws, and that will never change. Some people have big noses, unsymmetrical eyes, imperfect faces, big ears, acne, excessive fat - but society does not mandate a remedy. Most people are not going into Hollywood or politics. Moreover, a full head of hair is not a 'guarantor' of perfect appearance. Many men with full heads of hair still look 'unsightly'.

On a final note, society has always shifted with regard to what is accepted and what is not. Obese women were in - in the 17th Century - now they're not. Beards (the scraggly, unhygienic and primitive look) were once in - now they're not. The world is constantly changing, and no one can always be sure to adapt properly. Fat men are accepted in our society (at least in the U.S.); however, I am not going to stuff my face with donuts and get lazy just so I can 'fit in'. I will continue to run, bike and strength train because I have my own idea of what looks best - in addition to the scientific evidence about diet and exercise. The world may turn as it wishes.

Comment

• RichardDawkins
        Inactive
        • Jan 2011

Baldness less accepted? Are you kidding me. Someone tol me cut my hair short because i looked better that way (your head has a nice form).

Do you know how many of my unbald friends are single? Well almost everyone where some of my bald friends are not. It dosnt matter what your hair is like if everything else is ok, but you wont have a chance if the rest of your body looks like crap

Being fat is a No GO
        Being unhygienic is a No Go
        Not doing Sports is a No Go
        Being small (in terms of body height) is a No Go

You know hairloss is a cosmetical thing and can be fixed realtively easy, but how do you wanna grow someone who is small? Thats impossible

Comment

• Deluxe
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by RichardDawkins
          Baldness less accepted? Are you kidding me. Someone tol me cut my hair short because i looked better that way (your head has a nice form).

Do you know how many of my unbald friends are single? Well almost everyone where some of my bald friends are not. It dosnt matter what your hair is like if everything else is ok, but you wont have a chance if the rest of your body looks like crap

Being fat is a No GO
          Being unhygienic is a No Go
          Not doing Sports is a No Go
          Being small (in terms of body height) is a No Go

You know hairloss is a cosmetical thing and can be fixed realtively easy, but how do you wanna grow someone who is small? Thats impossible
          Hint: Leg-lengthening surgery

Comment

• Jcm800
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Deluxe
            Hint: Leg-lengthening surgery
            Or shoe in-steps.

Comment

• Fixed by 35
              • Mar 2010

I've never really given much thought to what it would be like to be short. I've always assumed that as the person was short all their lives it may not be ideal but at least they won't suffer an identity crisis.

Also, I can agree with the comment that some people with hair are pug ugly. More often than not though, it's their own fault because nine times out of ten it is due to a complete lack of personal hygeine, smoking or excessive alcohol consumption.

The difference between us and them is that we can't control our flaw, which is the frustrating thing about it. No matter how hard I try, I'm always going to have a big flaw I can do nothing about.

There is something far more unusual about hair loss though, which is difficult to articulate. I've never been stunningly good looking, nor have I ever really had any desire to be so. I've always been a little overweight and average looking and it has never bothered me in the slightest. To be honest I look at models and pity them; what kind of a life must it be to only be valued on what's on the outside?

Hair loss though has been a whole different story. For a start, I guess it erases your identity. To me, one slick bald bloke looks like another slick bald bloke; when they shave their heads they're faceless clones to me. Second problem is how it ages you. This has never bothered me from a looks perspective but it went a long way towards ruining my career. Don't underestimate perception in the workplace. If you begin working life at 20 and look like you're 40, you'll be treated like a 40 year old. That presents two problems; first, you're an outsider amongst your peer group and second your colleagues expect you to be far more competent far more quickly than everyone else because they think you're older and more experienced.

Now, you ask whether men will have to get hair if a cure comes out. I do believe they will because I think the shaved head will very quickly become a menacing look again.

Also, I think baldness will quickly become an old fashioned 'disease.' It'll be considered more like other skin conditions that are now treatable, such as acne, rather than an aging process.

And to conclude, I think a lot of people are happy to live with a lot of things. Shortness, big noses, wrinkles. None of these would bother me, but baldness? I can't stand it and I don't know any sufferer who can.

Comment

• Weedwacker
                • Sep 2010

I think being very short would be worse than being bald. A bald man is better off than a man who is 5'5. I once read some news poll that asked CEOs which is worse for their careers: being bald or being short? The majority answer, according to the CEOs, was as follows: it is better to be tall and bald than short with hair. A vast majority answered this way. I think some look at hairloss extremely negatively because it happens to be the problem with which they are afflicted. Their purview is narrow.

Actually, some people are unattractive because their faces are unattractive - with or without hair. When people say that a woman is unattractive, they are not saying this because she is bald; most women aren't. A full head of hair will not make everyone look like a model. There are plenty of unattractive people with great hair.

I disagree that bald men will need to get hair if a cure comes. The same argument could be used for short people, big-nosed people, unattractive people. Why don't these people get cosmetic surgery? Why aren't they forced to? A face lift is available, and so is a nose job. Why isn't having a large nose considered an ancient disease?

I understand that hairloss is different at a young age. It does age a guy rapidly. Believe it or not, I used to be a chain smoker. Now, this is something that, if told at the age of 15 I would do someday, I would have laughed in your face. I was an avid athlete who ate healthy. Then, I began balding at 16/17 and I became indifferent. I smoked as a teenager because I was depressed. No one needs to tell me how much premature hairloss sucks.

Comment

• clee984
                  • Feb 2010

I believe that the thing about baldness is the cruel unfairness of it, because it happens to some guys and others get away with it completely. Unlike being short or having red hair etc, where you've never known any different.

I don't know if this is relevant; of all my friends, the one with the most money, who sleeps with the best looking women, and generally enjoys life the most, is completely bald. He started losing his hair while we were still in school. (He's also tall). His baldness does bother him (we've talked about it) but not enough that he's ever seriously considered doing anything about it.

Bruce Willis would definitely get the cure if and when it happens, he's said as much himself ("I want to die haired", was the newspaper headline, as I recall). I've even heard his daughter mention it, and that they watch his old movies to see what their dad looked like with hair.

Comment

• Weedwacker
                    • Sep 2010

It is true that one must accept a major adjustment when hairloss occurs. It is unfair - but I think that the extent to which a man is bothered by it may be genetic. For instance, if I was obese I would be extremely depressed. I would not be able to accept the fact that my face and body looked so different because of the excessive fat. Further, I would hate my look and the increased mortality. Some people might say, "Oh come on, get over it!' I wouldn't be able to. If I don't like something, I don't like it; it has nothing to do with confidence or strength. I dislike raw avocados - but this does not make me unconfident.

There are many guys (some of whom are on this forum) who deny that hairloss bothers them. Interestingly, however, if you go back and read their previous posts, you will notice that they do dislike it - or even hate it. There is a fake bravado that is put on by some.

Sometimes, shaving the head is like a man who has a severe birth mark on his hand, and decides to cut his hand off. After doing so he says, "I am bold and have accepted my birthmark." If a guy truly accepted the birthmark, he would just live with it. By shaving your head, you are not necessarily ridding yourself of your hairloss via 'acceptance'. You may be rejecting MPB because you hate it.

Part of my problem is the fact that I take life too seriously, which is a fault. I want to succeed at what I do, and get the most out of life. We only get one chance, and hairloss has given me a fatalistic mindset. I am definitely more negative than I would be with hair. I have to work on this. I wish I could be like other guys who are fat and/or unshaven, sedentary/ drunken slobs but, unlike them, I value life too much. I take things too seriously. Life has too much meaning to me. This is why I want hair and want to be me. If I had low standards, things would be easier.

I think most bald men despise being bald. Some won't admit to it; others will. Men are not supposed to allow anything to bother them - but I think this is bullshit. Being 500 pounds would bother me - and so does being bald. I would buy a cure if it comes - even if I had to finance it with a loan. The problem is 'if' it comes. I am skeptical.

Comment

Working...