So whatever happened to all of these new 'cures'?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akai
    • Dec 2012

So whatever happened to all of these new 'cures'?

It's 2017. Where are they?
  • zurich
    • Dec 2016

A cures been coming every year, for the last 20 years

Comment

• BoSox
      • Jun 2010

2020, at the earliest. Try to focus on other things until then. My advice.

Comment

• tylerbose
        • Mar 2016

"in the next 5 years"
        or you could face the truth, we'll die bald and ugly.

Comment

• akai
          • Dec 2012

I'm surprised capitalism hasn't solved it yet, you would be overnight trillionaires.

Comment

• Vox
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by akai
            I'm surprised capitalism hasn't solved it yet
            You should not. It is an extremely complex phenomenon. In a publication that saw the light just a few days ago, the researchers identified 287 genetic regions linked to baldness. Yup, hundreds of them. And who knows what else is waiting to be discovered. As a side note, they found that many genetic signals for this condition are coming from the X chromosome that men inherit form their mothers.

It is extremely difficult to solve medically this kind of puzzle in a safe way. It could easily take centuries before we see a cure acting at the level of the genes. But who knows, perhaps regenerative medicine could provide a temporary solution in a few decades from now.

Comment

• Gon
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Vox
              You should not. It is an extremely complex phenomenon. In a publication that saw the light just a few days ago, the researchers identified 287 genetic regions linked to baldness. Yup, hundreds of them. And who knows what else is waiting to be discovered. As a side note, they found that many genetic signals for this condition are coming from the X chromosome that men inherit form their mothers.

It is extremely difficult to solve medically this kind of puzzle in a safe way. It could easily take centuries before we see a cure acting at the level of the genes. But who knows, perhaps regenerative medicine could provide a temporary solution in a few decades from now.
              I registred just to respond to this post.
              You know that MPB is androgen related right ? If you block the androgen somehow you will never go Bald, castrated men never go Bald for example, even if they have 1000 genes of baldness.
              it is even proven that lowering dht by 70% will be enough to keep your hair.
              We're not talking about curing the genetic follicle weakness against the chain of reactions that involve Dht, we just need to block the ****er or its receptors locally, Waiting for follicle cloning research to get results.

Comment

• BaldBearded
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by akai
                I'm surprised capitalism hasn't solved it yet, you would be overnight trillionaires.
                Why? The "industry" is making BILLIONS on drugs, rugs and plugs!

Comment

• Vox
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Gon
                  I registred just to respond to this post.
                  You know that MPB is androgen related right ? If you block the androgen somehow you will never go Bald, castrated men never go Bald for example, even if they have 1000 genes of baldness.
                  it is even proven that lowering dht by 70% will be enough to keep your hair.
                  We're not talking about curing the genetic follicle weakness against the chain of reactions that involve Dht, we just need to block the ****er or its receptors locally, Waiting for follicle cloning research to get results.
                  Yes, I know all this. Yet, MPB is still here torturing innocent souls. One question is, can you really intervene in such a drastic way in the hormones' cycle inside the human body, even locally, without creating serious side effects? I don't have an answer to this question. The lack of serious options in this direction could be an indication for two things: either a lack of interest or it is not that simple messing with the hormones to that point. As I said, I don't know which is the case here.

From my part, I envision a drastic solution that will eradicate this pestilence once and for all without any side effects. As indicated in the paper I linked to, they have already the knowledge to develop a diagnostic tool for severe hair loss. Imagine now one day when a young man in his teens, or even before, could walk into some clinic, perform the diagnosis and receive if necessary some genetic modification that will prevent any hair loss. I think this will come one day, but it will be in a distant future.

Of course, in the meantime a cure can come from regenerative medicine. Already some serious steps have been undertaken in this direction. But getting rid of the baldness genes would be the perfect solution.

Comment

• Vox
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by BaldBearded
                    Why? The "industry" is making BILLIONS on drugs, rugs and plugs!
                    Sadly, this is a reality.

Comment

• Gon
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Vox
                      Yes, I know all this. Yet, MPB is still here torturing innocent souls. One question is, can you really intervene in such a drastic way in the hormones' cycle inside the human body, even locally, without creating serious side effects? I don't have an answer to this question. The lack of serious options in this direction could be an indication for two things: either a lack of interest or it is not that simple messing with the hormones to that point. As I said, I don't know which is the case here.

From my part, I envision a drastic solution that will eradicate this pestilence once and for all without any side effects. As indicated in the paper I linked to, they have already the knowledge to develop a diagnostic tool for severe hair loss. Imagine now one day when a young man in his teens, or even before, could walk into some clinic, perform the diagnosis and receive if necessary some genetic modification that will prevent any hair loss. I think this will come one day, but it will be in a distant future.

Of course, in the meantime a cure can come from regenerative medicine. Already some serious steps have been undertaken in this direction. But getting rid of the baldness genes would be the perfect solution.
                      you're expecting much complicated solution while simpler ones are already in trial (Shiseido/replicel and Tsuji).

for now, i only blame men and their "just shave it bro" attitude, if we stop acting like worthless shit maybe people will invest in finding a DHT-related maintenance solution.

i mean, if it was happening to women with the same numbers it would have been cured. but no it's male related, nobody gives a f*** about men.

the men who write "just shave it bro" or "shave it and hit the gym bro" should be stabbed in the eye with a dermaroller.

Comment

• Vox
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Gon
                        you're expecting much complicated solution while simpler ones are already in trial (Shiseido/replicel and Tsuji).
                        But this is the regenerative medicine I am talking about for the nearest future.

Originally posted by Gon
                        for now, i only blame men and their "just shave it bro" attitude, if we stop acting like worthless shit maybe people will invest in finding a DHT-related maintenance solution.

i mean, if it was happening to women with the same numbers it would have been cured. but no it's male related, nobody gives a f*** about men.

the men who write "just shave it bro" or "shave it and hit the gym bro" should be stabbed in the eye with a dermaroller.
                        My situation is as follows. I lost most of my hair and my only option is to just keep what remains at a length of 2-3 mm (hair transplant is completely out of the question). So, very short but not shaved. Although people tell me that it looks fine, good head shape and all, I really don't like it. I wish I could get everything back but as of now it is impossible. And it will be for the rest of my life, unless we have some unexpected breakthrough.

But for the younger ones the battle is not lost. Today there are options for maintenance, far away from perfect but still, it is better than nothing. Unfortunately, I don't see in which way one could influence the research pace in that direction.

Your remark about women could be true, I don't know. If this was a female condition, at least it would put much more pressure in research seeking for a cure. Men are at disadvantage in other fronts also. For example, it is not socially acceptable to wear a wig, and everyone doing so puts himself at great risk to become the laughingstock if something goes wrong in front of other people. A friend (woman) told me once such a story. She laughed. I could not.

The gym idea is good for general health reasons, but is irrelevant to hair loss. I am wondering from who and why this comes so often into the forefront. To achieve what exactly, regarding hair loss?

Comment

• Gon
                          • Mar 2017

let's hope follicle cloning will be a thing in the near future, never give up on your hair, and if you decide to shave it, do it just to stop thinking about it, you should start saving money to get it back. and definitely don't log into hairloss forums and tell people to "shave it" or "it's impossible to be cured".

if i was a research company CEO, i would rather put money into women problems instead of men, because most men don't respect themselves, and accept their problems easily.

Comment

• LusciousLadyLocks
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Vox
                            Your remark about women could be true, I don't know. If this was a female condition, at least it would put much more pressure in research seeking for a cure. Men are at disadvantage in other fronts also.
                            Right. 40% of people with hair loss are women. And women have exactly HOW many treatments for sexual dysfunction, even though it is a BIGGER problem with post-menopausal women than older men? One. And it's invasive and VERY, VERY new, versus drugs for men that have been on the market for 20 years.

Comment

• Gon
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LusciousLadyLocks
                              Right. 40% of people with hair loss are women. And women have exactly HOW many treatments for sexual dysfunction, even though it is a BIGGER problem with post-menopausal women than older men? One. And it's invasive and VERY, VERY new, versus drugs for men that have been on the market for 20 years.

women who lose their hair at a young age are a tiny minority.
                              drugs for men's hairloss had been discovered by accident, it wasn't meant for hair in the first place.

Comment

Working...