Long-term minoxidil users?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Assemblage23
    • Aug 2009

To get back o the original topic I think I'm going back on fin after the three-week break. Yes my libido increased a little bit, but I think I'm not horny as before mostly because I get girls very easily compared to my pre-fin day, due to a change of lifestyle.

I just cannot accept baldness!!
    I dont think this three week break will make me shed. I might shave my head to be sure when I reach the three-week mark.

Comment

• Ted
      • May 2011

I read about a lot of people saying they got back to normal after 1 month off fin. I would try that if I were you

Comment

• Exodus
        • Nov 2012

So back on track. Chrisis, you intend to have a HT right? Obviously Fin is a no go? Who do you have it booked with, when is it etc?

Comment

• Pavi
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Tracy C
          Minoxidil alone is only mildly effective, especially for males. If you are unable or unwilling to take the medication that directly addresses the hormone that is triggering your hereditary hair loss, you need to come to terms with your hereditary hair loss and live your live to the fullest anyways. It can be done. Millions of men have done so for thousands of years.
          This is absolute garbage. Minoxidil is NOT MILDLY EFFECTIVE. There have been studies done on minox that show that on AVERAGE people return to baseline 5-10 years after starting. DHT is NOT the only culprit in hair loss and if it were, propecia would stop ALL hair loss FOREVER.

Comment

• MING
            • Feb 2016

After you off fin ,when did you start losting hair?

Comment

• MING
              • Feb 2016

I had been on propecia for 7 years and stoped it for 1 month. But i started the rogaine at the same day i off propecia. Do you think this would keep the hair that i am having?
              Originally posted by mpb47
              well i have been on it for 15 years and it is still working. Whether it works or not depends on how aggressive your mpb is. I know this firsthand as i have had fast (aggressive) spurts of mpb, but most of the time it has been gradual.

When it was fast, minox did basically nothing and only propecia could stop it. But now that it has slowed down, minox alone is working for me. And by working i mean it slows it down-not completly stop it. But it is enough to buy me a lot of time.

What ever drug you use for mpb,you will need it for life as like others just said, mpb never truly stops, though i have had mine take breaks.

From what i have read, i will probably continue to get those fast spurts. If/when that happens i will jump back on propecia to try and ride it out.

Comment

• HTsoon
                • Feb 2016

For anyone who doubts the efficacy of minoxidil take a look at this video, does minoxidil work as good as fin no, but is it mildly effective no, it can reduce your shedding by up to 50%, that means you have 50% more active terminal follicles, this means it greatly delays the balding process just as fin, remember fin only eliminates 60-70% DHT the other 40-30% is still attacking the follicle, fin greatly delays the balding process it does not cure it or stop it completely. There is no cure for MPB.

What happens when you think minoxidil is not effective

Comment

• Lader
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by HTsoon
                  For anyone who doubts the efficacy of minoxidil take a look at this video, does minoxidil work as good as fin no, but is it mildly effective no, it can reduce your shedding by up to 50%, that means you have 50% more active terminal follicles, this means it greatly delays the balding process just as fin, remember fin only eliminates 60-70% DHT the other 40-30% is still attacking the follicle, fin greatly delays the balding process it does not cure it or stop it completely. There is no cure for MPB.

What happens when you think minoxidil is not effective
                  http://youtu.be/aFYnz1on4hs
                  Huge thanks for sharing

Comment

• mpb47
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by MING
                    I had been on propecia for 7 years and stoped it for 1 month. But i started the rogaine at the same day i off propecia. Do you think this would keep the hair that i am having?
                    It depends on how active your mpb is to be honest. Mine is very slow most of the time. The one time it was not was when I first first starting losing in the back and went on propecia. So the first time I went off proprocia (~10years ago)I lost a lot of hair starting around the 3-4 month mark even though I stayed on Minox. About a year later, I got some of it back..maybe about half due to still staying on minox. Over a long time, I gradually started losing again so I got back on propecia about 3 years ago for about a year. Got hair back, then went off again about 2 years ago. This time I did not dramatically loss hair like the first time. At first I just gradually lost the hair that it had regrown, then at some time after that..I started to gradually bald again. The kicker was this second time, I was NOT on minox..just that my mbp is very slow again. Considing to back on it but only use it once every 2 weeks, but to answer your question, it should help but you will probably lose ground over time. But it is worth it for sure as you may be able to hold on for years ...just have to try it and see

Comment

• jamesst11
                      • Jun 2014

Any one on here try a higher percentage minox? 10-15%? I believe that if you've been on 5% for years and haven't experienced any sides, that this is a solid idea. It would make sense that, like with any drug, over a period of time it becomes a bit less effective and may need a boost.

Comment

• Dimoxynil
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by jamesst11
                        Any one on here try a higher percentage minox? 10-15%? I believe that if you've been on 5% for years and haven't experienced any sides, that this is a solid idea. It would make sense that, like with any drug, over a period of time it becomes a bit less effective and may need a boost.
                        Yes I went on belgravia higher strength 12.5%. No real difference I feel

Comment

• burtandernie
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by UK_
                          Finasteride is only effective for the short term anyway - it might buy you an extra 3 - 5 years at best, that's **** all use to someone who's thinning at 21.
                          I agree you really need fin to fight this battle today or you wont win at all. I also see the other side of the coin why a lot of men dont want to use it. Believe me I am in that camp that unless you have a major health issue you should really try to avoid taking any drugs just to avoid any pointless risk of breaking something no one understands. Just personal choice.
                          3-5 years might be all you need. 5 years from now you might not limited to the options we have today. Things are never constant. A year from now some new amazing treatment shows up out of nowhere and the game changes. Realistically there is a good chance in another 5 years you wont need fin anymore although fin might still be cheaper or have other advantages maybe in combination with new stuff. Who knows

Comment

• Tomane
                            • Jan 2017

I'm 32 and starting using minoxidil at 20, so that makes 12 years using 5% minoxidil, but only once a day in the evening.

My hair has been receding slowly, but it's at a point where either I cut it very short or do an implant. I've decided to go short and start progressively going off minoxidil over the course of a few months.

I'll report here if I lose my hair quicker after ending it.

Comment

• Kashman
                              • Jan 2017

It is an effective weapon , no cure for sure but an effective weapon . Much better option than Propecia , I quit it 7 months ago and none of the side effects has subsided for me . So I d take Minoxidil over Propecia anyday .

Comment

• wellshii
                                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Tomane
                                I'm 32 and starting using minoxidil at 20, so that makes 12 years using 5% minoxidil, but only once a day in the evening.

My hair has been receding slowly, but it's at a point where either I cut it very short or do an implant. I've decided to go short and start progressively going off minoxidil over the course of a few months.

I'll report here if I lose my hair quicker after ending it.
                                Any sides libido wise?
                                Any sides at all ? Minoxidil only?

Comment

Working...