Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • balding23
    • Jan 2011

Going off minoxidil...

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/stories to give about this...
  • lokesh_exe
    • Feb 2011

Not working minoxidil

I am using minoxidil from last 1 and half month.
    I am losing more hair than before.
    I think it is not working for me.....
    any advice....

Comment

• asianvolume13
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by lokesh_exe
      I am using minoxidil from last 1 and half month.
      I am losing more hair than before.
      I think it is not working for me.....
      any advice....
      oh! just keep using it! i noticed it happening to me at somepoint with that same period of time. then i kept using it....

now my brother said he was surprised that there was such a thing working.

i experienced more shedding at 1 and half month. but i kept my short that time so it wasnt noticeable when it started growing back other hair that was thin also grew back same time so i appeared thicker now

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
        IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
        • Nov 2008

Many patients do notice an initial shedding process but eventually do see some improvement or at least get back to where they started and hold it steady from that point on.
        Dr. Glenn Charles
        Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
        View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• Spex
          Dr Representative
          • Nov 2008

Ride it out
          Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• HairyHair
            Inactive
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Spex
            Ride it out
            Like what Spex said.

Just observe for a month or two more as what you are currently experiencing can be just the initial shedding from the treatment and if it doesn't improve, stop.

Comment

• michael239
              • Sep 2010

I'm on 5 month mark with miox 5% and my shedding has not improved. If all its getting worse. Has anyone also experienced this. I do see new hair but more than 100 strands a day in one wash.

Comment

• PleaseHelpMe
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dr. Glenn Charles
                Many patients do notice an initial shedding process but eventually do see some improvement or at least get back to where they started and hold it steady from that point on.
                Is it ok to stop using minoxidil? Say for instance coming off it over a year and each 3 months lowering the strength of it, until eventually you stop using it?

Comment

• kanyon
                  • Jan 2011

Why do you want to stop using it?

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by michael239
                    I'm on 5 month mark with miox 5% and my shedding has not improved. If all its getting worse. Has anyone also experienced this. I do see new hair but more than 100 strands a day in one wash.
                    The average human loses 100-150 hairs a day, sometimes more, like 200[even if they don't suffer from MPB], and sometimes less. I wouldn't worry about losing 100 hairs a day.

Secondly, if you're not on fin you should get on it asap. Using a growth stimulant[minoxidil] without even using an androgen blocker is mostly useless. You'll regrow new hair with minox but they will still shed and be affected by MPB. Finasteride, slows down//stops MPB therefore you give minoxdil a better chance at working to it's full potential.

Comment

• kanyon
                      • Jan 2011

I may be wrong here but I think if you want long lasting results it might be good to try 1 treatment at a time.

Most people start with Fin first and then add Minox but I did the reverse. I've said this many times here but Rogaine alone was unbelievably successful for me for 7 years. I couldn't have prayed for a better result. It doesn't work for me any longer.

I've now been on Fin for 2 months and am hoping it will help for me. I think it could be good to have a fallback by only using 1 treatment at a time. This could delay the balding until/if a better and permanent treatment becomes available.

I may be wrong here as I don't know if Fin will even work for me and perhaps MPB has set in for good now and irreversibly. Effectively I haven't adjusted my DHT levels in the past 7 years as I haven't used Fin. If you develop an immunity to both treatments (which I believe is likely within 10 years) then I would think you're out of options after that point.

Comment

• DAWNK
                        • Dec 2010

you might get some thick hairs falling out too as minoxidil will gain control over normal hair follicles as well as unhealthy ones - it makes no distinction.
                        I've taken minox for nearly 8 months now..this slowed it's progression but did not stop or regrow anything.
                        then moved on to M.Gardson's therapy .. also i try not to use much chemical products during the week .

Comment

Working...