9th World Congress for Hair Research, Miami (2015)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Desmond84
    • Oct 2012

9th World Congress for Hair Research, Miami (2015)

Hey guys,

Let's try and gauge how everyone feels about sending one or two representatives to the Congress this year. Do you think it is worthwhile? Would you chip in to get them there?

Cheers
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Not decided yet. Give me some reasons
    0%
  • joely
    • Sep 2011

I'd be willing to chip in again this year! Are you up for going again Desmond? I think you and hellouser are everyone's preffered attendees but we would understand if you didnt

Comment

• chongmet
      • Aug 2015

Hi, I think it's important to send someone there, to get the news for us. I also have the feeling that lot of people will be happy to donate as long as the part of each one's donation will be reasonable. I would like to donate.
      Lets talk prices - how much does it cost?

Comment

• mlamber5
        • Mar 2015

Id be willing to donate a small amount, even as a poor chemical engineering college student. But before I do I want assurance of interviews if possible. Not only this, but recordings and uploads on the opening ceremony and its speakers, all of the presentations recorded throughout the following couple of days, visits to the posters exhibits throughout the congress, etc. If all of this happened it would be money well spent and I would donate a reasonable amount. I however think the forum should try to send two people. A lot more information could be gathered that way, and if someone's camera were to break/fill with data there would be a backup to record. If many people donated a reasonable amount ($20-40?) we'd have this thing funded in no time and tons of info by the end of November.

Comment

• mlamber5
          • Mar 2015

Agreed on starting to talk prices. Desmond, how much is airfare running right now to Miami for the start of the congress and back?

Comment

• cratusg
            • Aug 2015

As mlamber5 said. I would like to donate if there is an assurance of interview/congress videos uploaded to youtube or some other site for us to be able to watch 20-40$ sounds reasonable since not everybody here are millionairs.

Comment

• chongmet
              • Aug 2015

Yep, I agree we need to do it PROFESSIONALLY as much as possible, and not sending someone to just sit and hear some stuff. I think that for all of us - we would like to see videos, presentations, some interviews, review.. etc. But besides of prices - which ones are we willing to send there? except for Desmond maybe.

Comment

• hellouser
                • May 2012

Originally posted by chongmet
                Lets talk prices - how much does it cost?
                Read the other thread:

Originally posted by hellouser
                - Round trip flight would probably be around $600 from Toronto.
                - Access to the Congress is $775 (very expensive, its listed on their site: http://www.hair2015.org/)
                - Hotels would likely be around $200-$300/night. I'd need 4 nights Nov. 17 - 21 (anyone going would need to arrive a day early, the congress starts at 11am on Nov. 18)

I'm somewhat screwed for video recording though, while I do have my Canon 70D, it's limited to 29 minutes of recording and 59 seconds. The Canon S120 lasts much longer, about 50 minutes, it'd be a much better camera for recording, so I may need to pick that up. I'll have my 70D as a backup though regardless, not taking any chances.

Cost of this would be significantly less than Desmonds trip seeing how the flight is much easier on the wallet, too bad I'm not a student as that would reduce the access fee. in all, we're looking at around $2,500 USD.

Luckily my day job during that time will be in my favour, I've got about 4 flag ship events I need to produce content and marketing for and the last event for the year is Nov. 16, so immediately after, I'm ready to head out for some much needed rest... or more work in this case.

I need to figure out a couple more things before I make up mind though. I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

• Swooping
                  • May 2014

Efedrez lives next to where this congress is being held and he is going anyway. So we need one more.

One could focus on recording presentations and making pictures of posters and the other person could focus on interacting as much as possible with the researchers engaging in discussions with them etc.

Comment

• nameless
                    • Feb 2013

I will chip in.

Someone needs to set up an account to receive funds.

Comment

• nameless
                      • Feb 2013

For some reason I am not allowed to vote in the poll. That's cool but I am definitely someone that will chip in.

That aside, I think it's amazing that Atac has just recently emailed Desmond and said she will be at the congress. She went to the trouble to contact him.

This shows that Desmond has definitely developed a rapport with the researchers and we would be foolish if we do not send him to the 2015 congress.
                      He has probably got the best chance of getting info from Cots.

Note to Desmond: You should go to the congress. You have developed a rapport with the researchers. Period.

Comment

• nameless
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Desmond84
                        Hey guys,

Let's try and gauge how everyone feels about sending one or two representatives to the Congress this year. Do you think it is worthwhile? Would you chip in to get them there?

Cheers
                        Desmond, it won't let me vote. That aside, I read in a different thread where you posted that Atac sent you an email telling you that she would be at the next congress. It's amazing that she emailed you to let you know this. Clearly she wants to cooperate with you specifically. I'm impressed and I want you to go to the next congress. The fact that researchers email you (instead of you emailing them) tells me you have built a good rapport with the congress researchers and I think that you're smart enough to know that it would be best if you went to the 2015 congress.

Comment

• Follisket
                          • Aug 2014

Yes, as long as it's well organized, I could easily chip in around 20 dollars or so.

Comment

• chongmet
                            • Aug 2015

I think that you might want to explain more about the congress, its scheudle and so on, in order to give some people a reason to want to donate.

Comment

• joachim
                              • May 2014

guys, hellouser already said he would like to attend. he's eager to do it, and he even bought a new professional camera. he knows how to handle the recording, putting it online and so on. he's the perfect man for this job. he's eager to do it, and we should gladly pay for his ticket and everything else.

as for interviews, i'm not sure what people here demand. it's not possible to say in advance that hellouser should do interviews. for the lsst congress with desmond however, he contacted some of the researchers and managed to define some meetings with desmond, especially the meeting with gerd lindner and beren atac.
                              if hellouser manages to do such meetings and interviews this time again, then great, but don't force him to make such a thing a mandatory requirement for funding his trip. with the recordings and everything else he's already doing hard work. don't think that it's easy to spend 3 days at the congress, record everything and talk to lots of people. it's hard and stressful. i even think, we should give him some extra bucks for doing this. not only paying his flight, hotel and the ticket for the congress, but also a few hundred extra bucks, so that he can have a great time in miami, go out, have some good drinks and so on. if a second guy is attending as well, they can go together if they want to.

regarding desmond: he did a great job at the last congress, but already mentioned he's uncomfortable with going a second time, with the fact that other members live much closer to miami. so let's respect his wish and concentrate on hellouser now, and maybe a second guy as well.

Comment

Working...