Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PinotQ
    • May 2010

Originally posted by x4342
    I appreciate it. I'm considering contacting Greco pretty soon.
    I can afford it and my expectations are reasonable.

Have you noticed anything from your other PRP with Acell treatment?
    FYI I have done PRP alone, PRP w/ acell (before powder) and PRP after they came out w/ Powder Acell (I think the powder mixes more consistently with the PRP and doesn't clump). The only one that worked was the latter and I saw definite visible improvement .....not dramatic in terms of new visible hair but just enough to see visible evidence that it was working and I wasn't going backward. If you looked very closely, it wasn't that I was growing new hair but that some of the very fine almost invisible weak hairs had become darker, thicker and longer. It takes about 4 months to see anything. My existing hairs became thicker and more robust as well. At least in my experience, I felt the injections started losing effect somehwhere bewteen 6 and 9 months....so you would likely need injections at least once per year. I recently had another treatment. When I did my first PRP/powder acell treatment it was $1,500 but it is now $2,500 so it is not cheap. Also, I have had each of the 3 types of treatments with different doctors and by far, in my opinion, Dr. Cooley was the best. (the last 2 PRP/Acell powder treatments w/ Cooley).

Comment

• FearTheLoss
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by PinotQ
      FYI I have done PRP alone, PRP w/ acell (before powder) and PRP after they came out w/ Powder Acell (I think the powder mixes more consistently with the PRP and doesn't clump). The only one that worked was the latter and I saw definite visible improvement .....not dramatic in terms of new visible hair but just enough to see visible evidence that it was working and I wasn't going backward. If you looked very closely, it wasn't that I was growing new hair but that some of the very fine almost invisible weak hairs had become darker, thicker and longer. It takes about 4 months to see anything. My existing hairs became thicker and more robust as well. At least in my experience, I felt the injections started losing effect somehwhere bewteen 6 and 9 months....so you would likely need injections at least once per year. I recently had another treatment. When I did my first PRP/powder acell treatment it was $1,500 but it is now $2,500 so it is not cheap. Also, I have had each of the 3 types of treatments with different doctors and by far, in my opinion, Dr. Cooley was the best. (the last 2 PRP/Acell powder treatments w/ Cooley).
      My most recent was with acell, how do you know if it's powder or not? I had it 6 weeks ago

Comment

• PinotQ
        • May 2010

Originally posted by FearTheLoss
        My most recent was with acell, how do you know if it's powder or not? I had it 6 weeks ago
        I would think most doctors are using the powder now but you might ask your doctor. I don't think that it's that the powder is really any more effective, its just easier to work with and therefore may be more consistent in application.........but that's just my amateur interpretation. In my opinion it really had more to do with the doctor. The first time it was just PRP with zero benefit. The next time it was with acell but the doctor seemed more focused on the PRP than the acell...with no benefit. And it didn't seem to me that this doctor, although very nice, knew what he was really doing. With Cooley, he just seemed like he knew a lot more, he had different instructions post procedure and he said you won't see a thing until about 4 months. And he was exactly right.

Comment

• FearTheLoss
          • Dec 2012

What were your post procedure instructions?

Cooley has a high price, I only paid $1k for mine.

Comment

• PinotQ
            • May 2010

Originally posted by FearTheLoss
            What were your post procedure instructions?

Cooley has a high price, I only paid $1k for mine.
            The main thing was not to use ibuprofen as it can interfere with the regeneration process. Use Tylenol instead. And, not that it affected the efficacy, but the prp/acell is injected in your scalp so you do not need to leave the dried blood on your scalp for 24 to 48 hours. Not very convenient, especially when it doesn't help. I don't remember exactly what I paid for my first PRP/Acell treatment but I am sure it was at least $1,500. $1,000 seems extremely low. I'm not in a position nor do I have the expertise to make any realistic assessments on what the differences are between the various doctors but 2 points that come to mind are the amount of acell used and the depth and number of injections. I'm sure that plays into the efficacy. I'm just experimenting and trying to see if things work like everyone else on here so I will keep you updated on my progress. But I am months away from seeing if this treatment works as well as the last one. Good luck on yours!

Comment

• Tooyoungforbalding
              • Dec 2014

Did you shed before you saw any results? After having the procedure done 2 months ago I am still shedding quite substantially. At this point I just can´t see this treatment helping at all. Would you say that the more prp-acell treatments you get, the more the quality of your hair improves?

Comment

• PinotQ
                • May 2010

Originally posted by Tooyoungforbalding
                Did you shed before you saw any results? After having the procedure done 2 months ago I am still shedding quite substantially. At this point I just can´t see this treatment helping at all. Would you say that the more prp-acell treatments you get, the more the quality of your hair improves?
                I noticed just a little shedding. But shedding 2 months in would not be inconsistent with something that is working. Especially since this procedure works in a more regenerative than a maintenance way. The one thing I can say is that even at 3 months in, I didn't think the treatment was working either as I saw absolutely no sign of any benefit. Since this was my third variation of the treatment and with no results from the prior 2, I wasn't holding out much hope at the time. It was 4 months for me that I saw definite improvement. If you had the procedure done correctly, I would find it hard to believe you won't see a benefit. In my opinion, the negative thing about this type of treatment is that you have to do it at least once a year and maybe even every 6-8 months so it is expensive. Can I ask who did your procedure?

Comment

• ThinFast
                  • Apr 2010

Is there anywhere on this site (on in the PRP subforum) that lists all the doctors that do PRP? I've been reading up on it again and may give it another shot, I'd like to see feedback on the differences between the practices offering it. I've had it done once back in August of 2010 at Dr. Greco's. Back then he was branding the injections I received as his PRP+Protein Matrix. I assume that the PRP+acell and CRP are different and represent advances in the field since I went in 2010. Also, I realize it was only one session that I received back then, but I saw no benefits whatsoever. In regards to doctors that I know offer some type of PRP product, I have: Bauman, Greco, Cole, Wesley, and Cooley.

Comment

• Tooyoungforbalding
                    • Dec 2014

I noticed just a little shedding. But shedding 2 months in would not be inconsistent with something that is working. Especially since this procedure works in a more regenerative than a maintenance way. The one thing I can say is that even at 3 months in, I didn't think the treatment was working either as I saw absolutely no sign of any benefit. Since this was my third variation of the treatment and with no results from the prior 2, I wasn't holding out much hope at the time. It was 4 months for me that I saw definite improvement. If you had the procedure done correctly, I would find it hard to believe you won't see a benefit. In my opinion, the negative thing about this type of treatment is that you have to do it at least once a year and maybe even every 6-8 months so it is expensive. Can I ask who did your procedure?
                    Thanks for insightful answers PinotQ. I had PRP/CRP done with Dr. Greco. So I do believe I have had the treatment done right. He told me to expect results at the 4-6 month mark, which resonates with what you are saying. I do remember him stressing the fact about coming over for three treatments within 18 months for optimal results. I guess its all about being patient, though I am finding it rather hard with all this hair constantly falling out.

Comment

• Tooyoungforbalding
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by ThinFast
                      Is there anywhere on this site (on in the PRP subforum) that lists all the doctors that do PRP? I've been reading up on it again and may give it another shot, I'd like to see feedback on the differences between the practices offering it. I've had it done once back in August of 2010 at Dr. Greco's. Back then he was branding the injections I received as his PRP+Protein Matrix. I assume that the PRP+acell and CRP are different and represent advances in the field since I went in 2010. Also, I realize it was only one session that I received back then, but I saw no benefits whatsoever. In regards to doctors that I know offer some type of PRP product, I have: Bauman, Greco, Cole, Wesley, and Cooley.
                      I am only aware of the doctors listed above. I wish I could give you a review of my treatment at Greco, but I am only 2 months in. I do not have any prior treatments of this nature to compare with either. All I can say is that Greco is a very knowledgeable and kind man, and I will be surprised if this treatment does not give any positive results.

Comment

• PinotQ
                        • May 2010

I am only aware of the doctors listed above. I wish I could give you a review of my treatment at Greco, but I am only 2 months in. I do not have any prior treatments of this nature to compare with either. All I can say is that Greco is a very knowledgeable and kind man, and I will be surprised if this treatment does not give any positive results.
                        Greco is a great guy but I absolutely think you need acell for the treatment to work on most people for androgenic alopecia. I think prp alone works more for alopecia areata and on women. I think it is the acell that is doing the work and prp is a vehicle and maybe provides a little boost. You might try doing a phone consult with Dr. Cooley. He does not advertise this treatment on his website...........very low key about it.

Comment

• Tooyoungforbalding
                          • Dec 2014

Greco is a great guy but I absolutely think you need acell for the treatment to work on most people for androgenic alopecia. I think prp alone works more for alopecia areata and on women. I think it is the acell that is doing the work and prp is a vehicle and maybe provides a little boost. You might try doing a phone consult with Dr. Cooley. He does not advertise this treatment on his website...........very low key about it.
                          I should have added that I did get the PRP/CRP in conjunction with his in house ECM. Which essentially is a protein matrix like acell, just derived from your own blood and not stem cells from a pig bladder. As far as I am concerned I could imagine the two being similar. Again, my knowledge is limited.

Comment

• Justinian
                            • Sep 2014

Thanks for insightful answers PinotQ. I had PRP/CRP done with Dr. Greco. So I do believe I have had the treatment done right. He told me to expect results at the 4-6 month mark, which resonates with what you are saying. I do remember him stressing the fact about coming over for three treatments within 18 months for optimal results. I guess its all about being patient, though I am finding it rather hard with all this hair constantly falling out.
                            I also had PRP with Greco and just hit the 3 month mark. I do not have any cosmetically visible difference yet and was told the 4 month mark was when I should see something too. I have also been shedding a lot of what I think are small/thin hairs, although it's tough for me to tell because my hair is really light.

Comment

• PinotQ
                              • May 2010

Good Luck guys! Let me know what you think in another month or so.

Comment

• FearTheLoss
                                • Dec 2012

2 months after PRP Acell, I'm shedding like CRAZY..one of the worst sheds I have ever had..so either I'm losing hair at a more rapid pace or I'm responding well to this treatment..I guess we will see in two months.

Comment

Working...