Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FearTheLoss
    • Dec 2012

azelaic acid/ tretinoin/ minox...sides?

I am using a custom compounded minox with these ingredients and I feel like I'm having some minor sexual sides from it. Nowhere near the level I had on fin, but still present. Is azelaic acid potent enough to cause sexual sides for someone who's very sensitive to AA's?
  • warner8
    • Jan 2015

is this mixture from Murray Pharmacy aka Susan?

Comment

• FearTheLoss
      • Dec 2012

Yes it is.

Comment

• warner8
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by FearTheLoss
        Yes it is.

I just put in a prescription for mine, so I cannot speak on the effects, as this is my first time using a compounded minox, or AA. What ingredients are in your mix? What % minox are you using? Perhaps it could be the progesterone if you selected that option. I would assume its more something that would mess with hormones that would affect you sexually, than an acid.

I know other users in this forum have either used AA, or uses Susan's mixture, and I am surprised that no one has spoken up and chimed in on this, but on a whole I feel like I a lot of ppl on this forum just read posts and never reply to anything unless it concerns them which is very selfish of them, but thats human nature i guess.

Comment

• lukey
          • Oct 2012

I've been using Susan's lotion for about 4 weeks now but I'm not experiencing any extra sexual sides. I only have 0.05 fin though instead of 0.1 as I experience sides when taking fin orally. I do however experience some stinging for 5-10 mins after applying the lotion and my skin is a little red where it's been applied.

Comment

• warner8
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by lukey
            I've been using Susan's lotion for about 4 weeks now but I'm not experiencing any extra sexual sides. I only have 0.05 fin though instead of 0.1 as I experience sides when taking fin orally. I do however experience some stinging for 5-10 mins after applying the lotion and my skin is a little red where it's been applied.
            Hi Lukey, what ingredients are in your mixture, and what is the % minox in it? what % minox were you using prior to susans formula?

Comment

• lukey
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by warner8
              Hi Lukey, what ingredients are in your mixture, and what is the % minox in it? what % minox were you using prior to susans formula?
              15% Minox
              0.05% fin
              1.5% Azelaic acid
              0.25% progesterone
              0.025% tretinoin
              0.1% hydrocortisone

This was recommended to me by Jazz as its very similar to Dr Kleins formula. Before this I was taking 5% Kirkland Minox.
              I think it's doing something but its too early to say how much it's working. I had seen some small regrowth with the 5% Minox but they were small hairs which didn't seem to want to get bigger. Tbh I'm at the stage where my hairline is getting that bad I'm starting to panic and unable to look at it objectively. I'm actually looking into the process of possibly having an FUE later in the year, I'm just thankful that the rest of my head is still good at the moment.

Comment

• warner8
                • Jan 2015

any side effects (headache, irritation, shedding) from the jump from 5% minox to 15%?

15% Minox
                0.05% fin
                1.5% Azelaic acid
                0.25% progesterone
                0.025% tretinoin
                0.1% hydrocortisone

This was recommended to me by Jazz as its very similar to Dr Kleins formula. Before this I was taking 5% Kirkland Minox.
                I think it's doing something but its too early to say how much it's working. I had seen some small regrowth with the 5% Minox but they were small hairs which didn't seem to want to get bigger. Tbh I'm at the stage where my hairline is getting that bad I'm starting to panic and unable to look at it objectively. I'm actually looking into the process of possibly having an FUE later in the year, I'm just thankful that the rest of my head is still good at the moment.

Comment

• Jazz1
                  Inactive
                  • Aug 2012

Hey guys I will reply later, I had so much going on recently in my personal life!

Comment

• lukey
                    • Oct 2012

any side effects (headache, irritation, shedding) from the jump from 5% minox to 15%?

Slight stinging for 5-10 mins after applying but certainly nothing to make me feel like I want to stop using. Skin is quite red where it has been applied but it looks a lot worse than what it feels. Might be the Azelaic acid but it's only 1.5%. I think my hairline has shed but looking at photos the redness on my hairline where I have applied it makes it difficult to tell.

Comment

• warner8
                      • Jan 2015

Slight stinging for 5-10 mins after applying but certainly nothing to make me feel like I want to stop using. Skin is quite red where it has been applied but it looks a lot worse than what it feels. Might be the Azelaic acid but it's only 1.5%. I think my hairline has shed but looking at photos the redness on my hairline where I have applied it makes it difficult to tell.
                      this concerns me, as I have cut my hair very very very short, and i wouldn't want to draw more attention to my balding scalp.

how long does the redness go away? did you address your concern with the pharmacist?

Comment

• FearTheLoss
                        • Dec 2012

I actually don't think the side effects I had were coming from the minox compound i made, but rather, the saw palmetto in the shampoo. I stopped using the shampoo and now I have no sides..or maybe my body just adjusted quickly. I don't know..but they were very real, but nowhere near as bad as the oral fin sides I had..those were horrific.

Comment

• lukey
                          • Oct 2012

this concerns me, as I have cut my hair very very very short, and i wouldn't want to draw more attention to my balding scalp.

how long does the redness go away? did you address your concern with the pharmacist?

Oh right, that may be an issue if it were to happen with you. I'm yet to speak to the pharmacist about it as Jazz warned me it might irritate to start with, I think I'll leave it a few more weeks and see how it goes. As I said it really does'nt irritate much, it looks a lot worse that what it is. Kirkland Minox was far worse for me as that stuff started to itch really bad after a few months and used to flake a lot.

Comment

• warner8
                            • Jan 2015

Oh right, that may be an issue if it were to happen with you. I'm yet to speak to the pharmacist about it as Jazz warned me it might irritate to start with, I think I'll leave it a few more weeks and see how it goes. As I said it really does'nt irritate much, it looks a lot worse that what it is. Kirkland Minox was far worse for me as that stuff started to itch really bad after a few months and used to flake a lot.
                            do you think the redness is from the acid or the retinol?

Comment

• lukey
                              • Oct 2012

do you think the redness is from the acid or the retinol?
                              Sorry mate I have no idea, I haven't applied either of them before so there's no way of telling.

Comment

Working...