It is done? They are looking for candidates... ;)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carvo
    • Jan 2014

It is done? They are looking for candidates... ;)

In a new study from Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute (Sanford-Burnham), researchers have used human pluripotent stem cells to generate new hair. The study represents the first step toward the development of a cell-based treatment for people with hair loss. In the United States alone, more than 40 million men and 21 million women are affected by hair loss. The research was published online in PLOS One yesterday.
  • hellouser
    • May 2012

"We developed a protocol to drive human pluripotent stem cells to differentiate into dermal papilla cells and confirmed their ability to induce hair growth when transplanted into mice."

Done on mice and if they really are and WILL trial this on humans, I'll send them a bottle of champaigne for at least trying even if it fails. About time some of these researchers quit monkeying around with mice for decades on end.

Comment

• Gjm127
      • Mar 2012

Happy I didn't find the following: "Cure within the next 5 years" lol... Isn't this what Replicel and Histogen are doing anyways?

Does this require FDA approval?

Comment

• Bald Russian
        • Oct 2014

F**K YEAH!
        Going to call Alexey Terskikh tomorrow!

Comment

• joachim
          • May 2014

lol. there are already 2 threads discussing this topic but it turned out that not many of the forum members are interested in it. however, i personally believe that this is indeed the final cure although the whole process has to be refined.

the big difference in this article lies in the last sentence! they say the are looking for partners to acomplish the last step, which is injecting the cells in human skin instead of mice. exactly like we want it. so could it really be the final step? we're really close.
          i hope the russian member who offered to give them a phone call can find out more on this and for what kind of partners they are looking for. maybe funding is needed too.
          this is exciting and i hope the forum members don't try to play down that breakthrough.

Comment

• joachim
            • May 2014

Originally posted by Gjm127
            Happy I didn't find the following: "Cure within the next 5 years" lol... Isn't this what Replicel and Histogen are doing anyways?

Does this require FDA approval?
            nobody cares about FDA anymore. every biotech company with stem cell treatments of any kind must be dumb to try getting through a 10 year FDA journey. Japan is the future.

Comment

• David7
              • May 2014

http://youtu.be/qym11JnFQBM we have these still no cure for baldness

Comment

• Sogeking
                • Feb 2011

This is definitely a step forward however, I'm not sure if dermal papilla cells alone transplanted into human tissue will connect with blood vessels, arrector pilli muscle, dermal sheath cup cells and the rest of the tissue in hair follicle. Sure it works in mice but Replicel had over 50% success rate of transplanting dermal sheath cup cells into mice. Not so much on human subjects. Also how good are these dermal papilla cells.

Next they are looking for partnerships meaning they have to seek funding to start this.

I'm not dissing on this just saying that they are at a stage before clinical trials while we could have Histogen and Replicel starting phase 2 this year.

However I welcome the addition. Things are heating up finally. I expect Dr. Lausters team to figure out culturing cells in the next few years as well.

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
                  • Jul 2011

we should crowdfund forthem: https://experiment.com/

Comment

• Tenma
                    • Nov 2013

"Our next step is to transplant human dermal papilla cells derived from human pluripotent stem cells back into human subjects," said Terskikh. "We are currently seeking partnerships to implement this final step."

Really happy with the statements. Lets hope iPSCs turn out to be a reliable source of DP cells

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by hellouser
                      "We developed a protocol to drive human pluripotent stem cells to differentiate into dermal papilla cells and confirmed their ability to induce hair growth when transplanted into mice."

Done on mice and if they really are and WILL trial this on humans, I'll send them a bottle of champaigne for at least trying even if it fails. About time some of these researchers quit monkeying around with mice for decades on end.
                      +1000. Amen to that. I've been preaching on here for years about researchers trying things endlessly on mice but never seeming to have any intent on bringing their findings to human application.

God bless this team if they are intending to try this ON HUMANS. I've never heard of this team of researchers; they are not the same "mice researchers" that we hear about time and time again. Perhaps these researchers are of a new breed, different from the others, and really care about bringing their finding to human application. I sure hope so.

Comment

• joachim
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by DepressedByHairLoss
                        +1000. Amen to that. I've been preaching on here for years about researchers trying things endlessly on mice but never seeming to have any intent on bringing their findings to human application.

God bless this team if they are intending to try this ON HUMANS. I've never heard of this team of researchers; they are not the same "mice researchers" that we hear about time and time again. Perhaps these researchers are of a new breed, different from the others, and really care about bringing their finding to human application. I sure hope so.
                        my biggest fear: big pharma companies will pay these guys a nice sum, buy and patent their technology (if this kind of iPS cell creation can be patented) or simply tell them to stop their efforts and shelve the study so that it takes at least another 10 years til some other researchers decide to catch up on that idea again. everyone is buyable for the right amount of cash.

Comment

• Jazz1
                          Inactive
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by joachim
                          my biggest fear: big pharma companies will pay these guys a nice sum, buy and patent their technology (if this kind of iPS cell creation can be patented) or simply tell them to stop their efforts and shelve the study so that it takes at least another 10 years til some other researchers decide to catch up on that idea again. everyone is buyable for the right amount of cash.
                          Snap, any kind of cure is easily brushed aside with bribe.

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by joachim
                            China never signed international treaties on patents. They can illegally copy whatever they want. This would just be offered there by an enterprising chinese company.

Comment

• mikes23
                              • Aug 2014

@ Joachim even though this is a great step forward I don't know how long this will take to Avail, and we don't know what will become of this. That's why I keep my faith in dr lauster. He originally developed the follicles so they can test pharm chemicals on the follicles instead of animals. So something like that is beneficial to big Pharms, so they will want it out on the market. But this is still good stuff.

Comment

Working...