Losing tons of hair only on the sides of my head?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cichlidfort
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by win200
    In men with genetic alopecia, much of the hair in those areas is not permanent. I would not expect to see regrowth.
    So you're saying I will have no hair eventually on the sides of my head? I have yet to see a person that was hairless with my pattern but hair everywhere else on the head.

Comment

• sayf
      • Oct 2014

the same

I have the exact same pattern, losing on the side. I just realized it recently and it is not looking promising. Have you done any thing about it ? and have you got any results guys ?

Comment

• baldozer
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by win200
        This isn't all that uncommon; it's called retrograde alopecia. MPB frequently includes loss around the temples, ears, and nape of the neck. I'm 30, and my frontal sideburn area has thinned a bit in the last year. It could be stress-related telogen effluvium, but you would be seeing similar shedding all over the scalp. If you're not, I'm guessing it's MPB that's just showing up before shedding elsewhere. In men with genetic alopecia, much of the hair in those areas is not permanent. I would not expect to see regrowth.
        I agree. The hair from my neck has receded. a receding neckline you may call it.

Comment

• richardd1972
          • Feb 2012

It's difficult to tell this early in your life. The amount of hair you're pulling out might seem like a lot but it might still be less than what is being replaced. It is very typical to lose hair in your early 20's and you won't know until at least late 20's if it's going to continue to the point of doing something about it. Look on the bright side. Your hair looks great now and I can assure you that nobody else would notice this. I've got 20 years on you and had almost the exact hairline as you did at 23. I had a nice head of hair and the temporal recession. It drove me crazy and I spent thousands of dollars on useless products. Back then HT's were very expensive and not very good. Rogaine was only 2 percent, required a script, and cost over 60 bucks a month. Turns out I was the only one that noticed my recession and I had my first HT at 30. over the past 15 years I have just kept up with it and have about the same amount of hair now as I did at around age 25. If I were you I would try to relax and just make a plan. This may get worse but HT's are very cheap and effective now. I would not use any products and just keep an eye on it. If it gets worse over the next few years, then you can have the money saved for a procedure. If it does get worse, you can start with small procedures and just keep up with it. You will never have to go bald and if you can take a week away from family and friends to have a HT, no one will ever now you had one.

Comment

• cichlidfort
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by richardd1972
            It's difficult to tell this early in your life. The amount of hair you're pulling out might seem like a lot but it might still be less than what is being replaced. It is very typical to lose hair in your early 20's and you won't know until at least late 20's if it's going to continue to the point of doing something about it. Look on the bright side. Your hair looks great now and I can assure you that nobody else would notice this. I've got 20 years on you and had almost the exact hairline as you did at 23. I had a nice head of hair and the temporal recession. It drove me crazy and I spent thousands of dollars on useless products. Back then HT's were very expensive and not very good. Rogaine was only 2 percent, required a script, and cost over 60 bucks a month. Turns out I was the only one that noticed my recession and I had my first HT at 30. over the past 15 years I have just kept up with it and have about the same amount of hair now as I did at around age 25. If I were you I would try to relax and just make a plan. This may get worse but HT's are very cheap and effective now. I would not use any products and just keep an eye on it. If it gets worse over the next few years, then you can have the money saved for a procedure. If it does get worse, you can start with small procedures and just keep up with it. You will never have to go bald and if you can take a week away from family and friends to have a HT, no one will ever now you had one.
            I don't mine having the bald look. I would definitely rather have hair but I'm 6'7 and I use to model so I can pull off the bald look. Plus I can grow a badass beard. BALD= bad ass looking dude. As far as my hair now, I've lost a TON! It's gotten 5x worse then what's in the pictures. I'm learning to cope with it. Could be worse though.

Comment

• nursedude22
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by cichlidfort
              I don't mine having the bald look. I would definitely rather have hair but I'm 6'7 and I use to model so I can pull off the bald look. Plus I can grow a badass beard. BALD= bad ass looking dude. As far as my hair now, I've lost a TON! It's gotten 5x worse then what's in the pictures. I'm learning to cope with it. Could be worse though.
              How's the finasteride treatment going man?

Comment

• cichlidfort
                • Jan 2013

It's now kicking ass! Been on it for 7-8 months (finpecia 1mg ONCE per week and rogaine TWICE daily) and I've actually stick with it. The shedding was horrific, I mean freaking a nightmare. I was losing 200-400 hairs a day bc I was enduring the shedding from both the rogaine and the fin at the same time but now it's growing back and looks thicker than it has been in 2 years.

Comment

• cichlidfort
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by nursedude22
                  How's the finasteride treatment going man?
                  Also, all the hair that was thinning on the side has now stopped and is even growing now. 3 months ago I thought I was going to be a bald man. Now, I don't even think about my hair anymore. I use to wear hats all the time but now I don't. I'll post pictures later.

Comment

• Finkle25
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by cichlidfort
                    Also, all the hair that was thinning on the side has now stopped and is even growing now. 3 months ago I thought I was going to be a bald man. Now, I don't even think about my hair anymore. I use to wear hats all the time but now I don't. I'll post pictures later.

Hi There
                    I was wondering how your hair is looking like now with your same regiment?
                    Cheers

Comment

• AuzzyTime
                      • Dec 2015

I'm going to bump this because I've been searching for answers everywhere to this specific type of hair loss

I have the exact same problem happening right now.

I started fin just over 3 months ago but I'm losing hairs like crazy just about everywhere. As well on the sides like you say they come out like pubic thick and curly but short. Now you said it's working? Do you mind uploading any up dated pictures? I'm getting worried that Fin isn't the answer

Thanks man

Comment

• Ulti1
                        • Oct 2014

I wish i didn't wait 6 years to get in fin like an idiot

Comment

• Pavi
                          • Dec 2015

you do not have MPB. Have you been stressed recently? Could be telogen effluvium-stress related hair loss that IS reversible. Do not worry or stress. You hair is in good shape. A lot better than most guys your age

Comment

• AuzzyTime
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Pavi
                            you do not have MPB. Have you been stressed recently? Could be telogen effluvium-stress related hair loss that IS reversible. Do not worry or stress. You hair is in good shape. A lot better than most guys your age
                            Hi Pavi

Yes I've been dealing with MASSIVE amounts of stress for the past year. It didn't really start because of hairloss but then I started to notice my hair density decreasing and ever since then it's just been a rubberband effect, more hair loss --------> more stress continuous cycle

I really hope if I can manage my stress better as well as clean up my diet a lot I can reverse this. My Receding hairline is like not much at all and seems to be responding to Fin fairly well.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Paganis
                              • Mar 2016

Hope you guys are still Reading this. I would like to share the info i have come across. Hope you respond so we can help each other out.

My situation:
                              Losing hair quickly, mainly sides and area around right temple. The hair on the right Side of my hair is thinner. Hairs are long and split. The hair feels strange and falls out in the pattern of op and when you Google image Sides thinning; the first result is exactly the same Pattern. When i first noticed my hair thinning i went crazy but after a while i accepted it. But the strange thing was that i could constantly feel my scalp burning and my hairline itching. This is descriped alot on the internet. The feeling because worse so i decided to take action and search for a potential cause/solution.

Theory;
                              The site hairloss-reversible provides the basic theory, look it up. The scalp is basicly a very thin muscle with very thin blood Vessels. Testosterone and aging causes the muscle to thickin restricting blood/Lymph flow causing the hairs to suffocate. The link with dht is unclear, it could be that the slow flow causes the dht to act destructing. Dht also causes facial and body hairgrowth and the subtance isn't bad per se, it could be that the disbalance caused by the enviroment makes the dht crazy. remember that rogaine/minoxidil only improve blood flow to areas. I saw some amazing results on sides and temples with rogaine.

Checking the theory:
                              So i reflected on how i feel. I 've had stress for a long time, i smoke and my 4 wisdom tooths are growing causing infections. I also noticed that when i smoked weed i would transpire around my hairline making it oily. This is a sign of tired glands. The scalp inflammation was a feeling from my jaw trough the nose/eyes than temple to the Side of the crown. Exactly where the Side thinning pattern occurs. My muscles in this Area where tense and when i close my eyes i can feel a slight twitch and Heaviness. I also have alot of phleghm. In aryuveda all the signs would be linked to to much 'heat' in the head. Particles can't make there way out. There is a disbalance.

Then i googled tooth infection hair loss. There is a relation with tooth infection and this pattern! To those who have no teeth problem this is still relevant beacause it shows a underlying principle. I then google searched face veins and you can clearly see the veins going along the path i described feeding the scalp. My infections are probably cloging these veins/Lymps. I constantly say lymphs for a reason because when you Search for the lymphs around the head you can again clearly see the relation between the veins, the scalp flow and the lymphs.

To Sum up my theory;
                              I think that with this kind of hairloss and maby also partially in mpb there is a disbalance in the scalp causing hairs to fall out or terminate. This disbalance shows itself as bad blood lymph flow around the head and mainly the skull (most sensitive skinn/muscle/veins/lymphs because it's most far from the heart). All kinds of things could be the Cause of this disbalance, in my case it's tooth infection, stress, bad posture (forward neck) causing restrictid flow and Tense muscles around the neck (shoulders, neck, back, face and skull. And let's not forget about smoking...

things that might help;
                              Look for the cause of your bad flow. This might be stress, smoking, hormone dysfunction, surgery, tooth/ear infection.

To improve flow:
                              -scalp massage/exercise
                              -exercices to improve blood flow to head
                              - this one i really like: search lymphic massage head, there is a great YouTube video that explains. This helped me very much, i was spitting thick saliva for hours and Every time i do this the pressure/inflammation/burning lessens. You're just pressing on your lymphs making them remove toxins and all the bad stuff that's clogging Everything. You're restoring the balance with this!
                              - breathing exercises to relax muscles
                              - according to some pressing hard on you nails improves blood flow to the scalp. Your nails are also (like the scalp) far away from the heart demaning alot of power. By pressing you're nails you're pushing the blood to other places (like standing on a water bed). Also check out how the lymps system is unevenly distributed at the left and right body half.

My direct answer;
                              I'm going to the dentist asap. I'm going to quit smoking. I'm going to do some yoga exercises to improve head blood flow and scalp exercise. I also bought rogaine to improve blood flow.

Excuse me for the rought text, english is not my native language. I included alot of symptoms for others to find this info.

Please share your thoughts!

Comment

• nobodyimportant
                                • Sep 2017

Hey just wondering if your found a solution to this because I'm dealing with this now.

Comment

Working...