Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buck
    • May 2014

Topical Fin or RU?

I am considering starting an anti-androgen for the first time, and I wanted to get some opinions on topical Fin vs. RU?

Lilpauly has recommended that I try Fin first.

For those who have tried either or both, what do you think? (Fwiw the topical Fin would be Promox. I have a bottle on hand.)

Also open to other opinions, i.e. why I should just go for CB & Versapro etc. But I'm looking for personal experiences of effectiveness and especially side effects.

A little background… I was a very good minoxidil responder when I began treatments ten years ago, achieving near full regrowth with Rogaine 5% once a day.

Thanks in advance!
  • LMS
    • Dec 2012

Ru no doubt IMO. Much stronger IMO, different moa of course aswell

Comment

• buck
      • May 2014

Thanks, LMS.

Any other advice? This would be a pretty big step for me.

Comment

• Nerve
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by buck

A little background… I was a very good minoxidil responder when I began treatments ten years ago, achieving near full regrowth with Rogaine 5% once a day.
        Sorry that I can not help you with your question but can you tell me, did Rogaine `hold back the tide` for 10 years for you? I always wonder about how long it is effective for.

Comment

• buck
          • May 2014

No unfortunately it lost effectiveness over time. I've never stopped, so it's hard to know for sure, but I believe I would be worse off today without it.

Comment

• Nerve
            • Nov 2012

Thanks!
            Now I hope people answer your original question. Sorry to derail it.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................
            I am considering starting an anti-androgen for the first time, and I wanted to get some opinions on topical Fin vs. RU?

For those who have tried either or both, what do you think? (Fwiw the topical Fin would be Promox. I have a bottle on hand.)

Also open to other opinions, i.e. why I should just go for CB & Versapro etc. But I'm looking for personal experiences of effectiveness and especially side effects.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Jazz1
              Inactive
              • Aug 2012

Ru can give same sexual sides as FIN I got them at 5%, me personally I would go with FIN as the people who used FIN for years had to make the switch when it stopped working. I would leave RU and DUT as last option when FIN stops working to prolong for better treatments.

Comment

• LMS
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Nerve
                Thanks!
                Now I hope people answer your original question. Sorry to derail it.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................

Thanks in advance!
                Start with fin I'd say. Its the only actually approved treatment of the three. Evaluate results and side effects. If you don't like it go with RU. Although its not technically approved its pretty much been confirmed to work by anecdotes, mine included.

Originally posted by Jazz1
                Ru can give same sexual sides as FIN I got them at 5%, me personally I would go with FIN as the people who used FIN for years had to make the switch when it stopped working. I would leave RU and DUT as last option when FIN stops working to prolong for better treatments.
                I can also confirm that RU has its own set of sides.

Comment

• buck
                  • May 2014

How much is 5% in milligrams, Jazz? El Duterino on another site has suggested that 20 mg might be sufficient to halt hair loss. What are your thoughts?

Comment

• Swooping
                    • May 2014

It depends on your personal preference. What is important to you?

Efficiency?
                    Convenience?
                    Price?
                    Side effects?

Though I would definitely opt for RU, just because inhibiting 5ar2 systematically is almost "retarded" to be honest. Now inhibiting AR systematically would also be bad, but RU favours a good pharmacokinetic profile to limit systematic absorption. Topical finasteride furthermore is really the biggest bullshit there is, it will go systematic no matter what you do.

Comment

• buck
                      • May 2014

Swooping, my biggest concern is side effects. Next is efficacy, of course. But if I get sides, it won't be effective b/c I will stop immediately. I'm sure that topical Fin will go systemic. It's just that anecdotally there seems to be fewer reports of side effects. RU has sides too, but for some reason I've always leaned toward RU.

For me, researching all this stuff is a challenge. I'm a pretty smart guy, but for some reason chemistry is not my thing. I like your summary of the different moas. Maybe I can use this as a starting point.

To that end, I know there is a lot out there, but could you point me to a favorite summary or two of how RU works? I'll figure it out one way or another, but when I read random posts about biochemistry, I sometimes feel like I am developing premature brain fog.

Comment

• Swooping
                        • May 2014

If those are you 2 primary concerns I would definitely opt for RU. I'll explain why;

The most important thing to me in using something is being it directly targeted. 5ar2 systematically inhibiting is a big stupid workaround. You are altering your hormonal profile that way. Hormones are a very subtle and fragile thing. Some just cope with it better than others and have no problems, some adapt and live with it, some just quit because they can't handle it and in extreme cases people can be (permanently) f*cked.

RU, as an androgen receptor however just occupies the receptor and will block hormones from binding. But that isn't altering your hormones, in fact they will stay the same only will they float around in your body. Now blocking AR systematically, that wouldn't be good too and comes with it's own complications. But RU has shown in studies that the pharmacokinetic profile is very good. Meaning that the systematic absorption is supposedly very limited. And even if some goes systematic it doesn't matter that much cause the amount of RU or the metabolites of RU ain't strong enough to occupy the receptor.

This alone says enough for me. 5ar2 inhibitors are a big workaround and RU covers the problem more directly; the androgen receptor at the hair follicle. Now even RU isn't perfect and side effects may occur but it has a very favorable profile for application imo.

Whatever treatment you are going to choose btw don't go into it with the idea you are going to get sides. Good luck!

Comment

• buck
                          • May 2014

Thanks man, very helpful.

Comment

• lmg7
                            • Oct 2014

Swooping because im new in this forum can you just please mention some sides from ru ?

Comment

• Jazz1
                              Inactive
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by buck
                              How much is 5% in milligrams, Jazz? El Duterino on another site has suggested that 20 mg might be sufficient to halt hair loss. What are your thoughts?
                              50mg, 20mg would be 2% depends how you calculate your mixtures I would personally make fresh batches daily so 20mg per 1ml solution, or use neogenic solution works well.

Comment

Working...