X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agardner
    • May 2014

Originally posted by joachim
    another scientific question:

how many cells are required to form a follicle? are we talking about hundrets, thousands, millions, or billions?
    A mature follicle is made up of tens/hundreds of thousands of cells. We don't need this many cells to make a follicle, we are trying to replicate the early induction events by implanting a relatively small number of cells ~2-8,000 into the skin, that can induce the surrounding tissues to form a follicle. If you think of hair follicle formation in the embryo then it is coming from a tiny number of cells.

Comment

• agardner
      • May 2014

a general question:

Are you, Dr. Gardner, and Jahoda fully aware of the other researchers work?
      Do you even exchange information with Tsuji Labs, Team Lauster, or others on a regular basis?
      Or is there too much competitive thinking?
      We are aware of the work that they present at conferences, in papers etc... and where they are planning to take their research.

But as a whole groups are very unlikely to exchange information before publication. Jobs, especially for early career researchers like myself are dependant on papers and grants, if you give your ideas and data away before you get a paper/grants then you might not have a job. It's not right, I really don't like the system (I can't think of anyone who does) but unfortunately that is how the system is.

If you want to read more:
      I will no longer put up with low pay, unstable contracts and the requirement to be available at all times

I am very pro-open access, and I want to talk about my work with other scientists and the people who my research will impact on but it's very difficult.

Comment

• agardner
        • May 2014

another question:

Has anyone of the researchers around the world ever created a cosmetically acceptable lab-grown copy of a follicle which is sprouting hair now on someone's head (a real human)? maybe by chance, and maybe not consistently, but did it ever happen?
        Not that I'm aware of. It's possible that someone's tried it but I'm not aware of it.

Comment

• agardner
          • May 2014

Originally posted by sdsurfin
          This:

"A:
          I'm not sure. The majority of studies use epithelial cells that are very receptive to follicle induction i.e. mouse or human neonatal epithelial cells. We are attempting to use adult human only cells, but this is "healthy" tissue. As far as I know there are no groups using alopecia scalp tissue to test for inductivity. Speculating, I would assume if an inductive enough construct was created that the initial follicle would form. However, as this isn't treating the underlying causes of the various alopecias I would assume the follicle would then degrade as the previously, perhaps even at a faster rate due to the loss of fatty tissue in the scalp."

We're in it for the long haul boys. Especially if the roots of baldness do not lie with instructions given by the hair follicle cells. If it's the rest of the body dictating what hair is lost then it's going to require a replacement of your entire scalp to cure this thing. which I suppose is possible too with tissue engineering, but we're looking at many decades and very invasive procedures. you would probably have to not only get all new follicles, but also remove all the old ones that are signalling your scalp to degrade.
          The effectiveness of any treatment is going to vary case by case, but making new follicles does not fix any underlying issues that caused hair loss in the first instance. I envisage that complementary therapies will have to be used as well in the more severe cases. Beyond this I could see full scalp regeneration technologies being developed, as it would be much easier to control in the lab, but that's not something that will come after reliable follicle induction.

Comment

• agardner
            • May 2014

what is known about the trials in Taiwan with over 400 people, which should start soon? What kind of team is it? Why are they starting trials soon, if there are still some missing puzzles? What company is behind it, and what else do we know about them?

I mean, to start a trial with 400 people requires some confidence.
            They are hopefully not going to just randomly inject some cells into bald people and see what happens then.

Are you aware of what's going on in Taiwan?
            Yes I am aware of the clinical trial, but I don't know anything more than you guys until they present their findings. It will be very interesting to see what comes out of the study, especially as the implants will be in for a lot longer time period than in the models used by Dr Higgins. But I'm not aware of what their outputs will be.

Comment

• agardner
              • May 2014

Originally posted by Thinning87
              Would additional funding directed to your university's endowment would help speed up your research?

If yes, how much do you need?
              I would be very, very careful about contributing money directly to a research project, and be wary of someone requesting funding in this manner. I personally wouldn't accept money in this way.

If you are interested in contributing money then I can suggest several means of doing so:
              1) Form a charity. Pool any money, have a structure, recruit experts to your board. Then you can analyse the field and decide where you want to apply your funding. By forming a charity you gain numerous tax benefits, especially in the UK not sure about elsewhere. From this position you could then also ask for representation on the various hair research societies, request conference attendance/filming etc...

For an example of an extremely effective charity that directly funds research in the UK, http://www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk. I am sure there are equivalents outside of the UK.

2) Donate to an existing funding body/charity. For example in the UK the MRC accepts donations and you can specify areas of interest that you would like you money to go towards. http://www.medicalresearchfoundation.org.uk, again I'm sure equivalents exist outside of the UK. But again, pooling money would be the best option.

3) Sponsor early career researcher attendance to conferences. This is vital, encouraging young scientists to build networks in the field, present their data and see other groups present their data will only help. Early career researchers also often don't have much provision in their funding for travel so these grants are vital.

4) There will be investment opportunities, but I'm not a financial whiz so can't really comment on this.

But just to reiterate be very, very careful of directly giving money. Snake-oil salesmen will abound.

Comment

• agardner
                • May 2014

Originally posted by hellouser
                This sounds quite 'automated' in the sense that, when compared to traditional hair transplants a doctor needs to spend several hours harvesting donor grafts and then several more hours implanting them into balding areas.

Would the culturing and implanting of the DP cells into the scalp be rather quick in comparison to a hair transplant? If so, would this method be costly for patients?
                • Isolation is relatively quick, I can do ~20 follicles an hour.
                • Expansion in 2D takes ~4-6 weeks depending on desired end number.
                • 3D culture as we currently do it is relatively laborious. For example creating ~500 spheres would take about an hour. These need to be fed manually every 3 days which would take several hours. There are ways of automating this though, we just don't do this.
                • Implantation technique, this I don't know. I would assume it would take a similar amount of time to follicle implantation. We currently separate the dermis and the epidermis enzymatically, then place the spheres between them, this isn't clinically viable.
                • Cost, I honestly have no idea, a similar cost to the surgeries I would assume.

Comment

• joachim
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by agardner
                  A mature follicle is made up of tens/hundreds of thousands of cells. We don't need this many cells to make a follicle, we are trying to replicate the early induction events by implanting a relatively small number of cells ~2-8,000 into the skin, that can induce the surrounding tissues to form a follicle. If you think of hair follicle formation in the embryo then it is coming from a tiny number of cells.
                  with what cell types are currently working in the lab? (of which cells does the follicle consist?)

DP cells
                  DSC cells
                  Epithelial cells
                  ECM? we heard the extracellular matrix is build up automatically when the DP cells come and interact together (according to team Lauster)

are you able (and other researches too) to isolate EVERY different cell type out of the follicle? or is there still a cell type which makes problems and can't be isolated for multiplitication?

Comment

• Arashi
                    • Aug 2012

Wow, we've got more interesting info in the last 2 days then I got in the last 2 years that I've been member here So you don't accept donations, then we should at least collect money to erect a statue for you Aaron Thanks a thousand !!

Comment

• HairlossAt15
                      • May 2013

Dr. Gardner,

Have you read much about the PGD2 research (eg http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3319975/ and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24521203 ) and if so may we have your opinion on the potential of this pathway?

Thanks a lot.

Comment

• Artha
                        • Jun 2013

Thanks alot Mr. Gardner!

Comment

• Armandein
                          • May 2014

the first important question, which often appears in our discussions but nobody is able to really answer it scientifically:

what is it all about with the sebaceous gland? Is it required during the hair cloning process to also create a seb. gland along with the whole follicle or can it be assumed that a lab-grown follicle would attach to one of the many exisiting seb. glands in the bald scalp instead?
                          Because we never heard of researchers that they are also trying to create the seb. glands in lab, and many people state a follicle without the gland is no real follicle. What is your opinion about it?

a dump question: is the seb. gland even required for hair at all? What would happen if you implant a lab-grown hair into the scalp, and the follicle wouldn't attach to a seb. gland?
                          it is often said that the seb. gland keeps the hair moist and soft, but isn't it more harmful than useful =D it creates a lot of sebum which is always bad for the skin, and probably also for the follicle, as the gland also does DHT conversion, where the DHT then moves down to the follicle.
                          in other words: isn't the seb. gland just a bad byproduct of the nature? (like the blind gut?) =D
                          Joaquim you are my hero
                          IMHO hair shaft and dermal papilla are only a part of the pilosebaceous unit. I am wondering why sebaceous gland is so important, even in multipili hairs have the same number of sebaceous glands? It is possible that SG are part of interactions between the DP and hair follicle epithelium gives rise to the hair shaft.

Comment

• Arashi
                            • Aug 2012

Aaron, some time ago Desmond posted this link: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs....TEA.2013.0547 and we thought that hairloss was cured since it seemed these guys could now culture cells while keeping all genes expressed. But re-reading that abstract they dont specifically say that 100% genes were expressed. What do you think ? Cause if I understand correctly, once we can culture dp cells (enough of them) while retaining 100% gene expression, then we've overcome a major hurdle and you guys can focus on things like hair growth direction etc, right ?

Comment

• PinotQ
                              • May 2010

Dr. Gardener, Has there been any thought regarding your research about injecting the 40% of cultured cells that have reclaimed their genetic character into a balding scalp to see if they can rejuvenate miniaturized follicles, as opposed to creating follicles denovo? And do you have any thoughts as to whether this might be effective, at least to an extent far greater than what Aderans and Replicel have been able to achieve to date? My understanding is that these concepts have been in large part unsuccessful because the cells they are culturing have lost their inductivity. If this is indeed the reason, perhaps the rejuvenation concept is the quickest way forward.

Comment

• hellouser
                                • May 2012

Originally posted by agardner
                                • Isolation is relatively quick, I can do ~20 follicles an hour.
                                • Expansion in 2D takes ~4-6 weeks depending on desired end number.
                                • 3D culture as we currently do it is relatively laborious. For example creating ~500 spheres would take about an hour. These need to be fed manually every 3 days which would take several hours. There are ways of automating this though, we just don't do this.
                                • Implantation technique, this I don't know. I would assume it would take a similar amount of time to follicle implantation. We currently separate the dermis and the epidermis enzymatically, then place the spheres between them, this isn't clinically viable.
                                • Cost, I honestly have no idea, a similar cost to the surgeries I would assume.
                                I don't quite understand this;

3D culture as we currently do it is relatively laborious. For example creating ~500 spheres would take about an hour. These need to be fed manually every 3 days which would take several hours. There are ways of automating this though, we just don't do this.

Does this mean that the spheres after about an hour would be ready to implant into the scalp, but if held for preservation to implant at a later date, they must be fed every 3 days?

Would this then mean from culturing to implanting we could see all of it done in a matter of hours?

Comment

Working...