X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan26
    • Jul 2012

DHT reduction by fin

Hey guys,

So I've been taking 0.25mg fin daily for the last 60 days. I had my DHT levels tested before I started, and had them tested after 60 days...

and...

There was only a 10% reduction in DHT!!!

This makes no sense...

They are generic 1mg finasteride pills prescribed by my derm and from local pharmacy...
  • Notcoolanymore
    • Jun 2013

How much is DHT suppose to be lowered by taking the full 1mg of fin. I thought it was somewhere near 60%. Don't quote me on that, but I don't think fin completely eliminates DHT.

Comment

• Dan26
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
      How much is DHT suppose to be lowered by taking the full 1mg of fin. I thought it was somewhere near 60%. Don't quote me on that, but I don't think fin completely eliminates DHT.
      Based on what I've read, ya 1mg should reduce it by up to 70%...Generally in the 50-70% range

But there is a nearly flat dose response rate for fin, so 0.25 should reduce it by a lot more than 10%

Comment

• burtandernie
        • Nov 2012

Yeah so propecia is far from a perfect DHT inhibitor so its not representative of what stopping androgens could do. Even Dut while inhibiting a lot more DHT also spikes your T a lot more. Both harm hair.

Comment

• DanWS
          • Jul 2013

I know it's only been 60 days but have you had any positive results at all despite only getting a 10% reduction in your DHT levels? I'm also on 0.25mg per day and I started to get hairline regrowth at 2 months. I'd be interested to know how much my DHT levels have been reduced.

Comment

• BigThinker
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Dan26
            Hey guys,

So I've been taking 0.25mg fin daily for the last 60 days. I had my DHT levels tested before I started, and had them tested after 60 days...

and...

There was only a 10% reduction in DHT!!!

This makes no sense...

They are generic 1mg finasteride pills prescribed by my derm and from local pharmacy...
            You comfortable with upping the dose? Might be time to beat that DHT up, breh. I took a two week break and have been back on it daily for a solid week and feeling pristine.

Comment

• Dan26
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by DanWS
              I know it's only been 60 days but have you had any positive results at all despite only getting a 10% reduction in your DHT levels? I'm also on 0.25mg per day and I started to get hairline regrowth at 2 months. I'd be interested to know how much my DHT levels have been reduced.
              Pretty damn sure I've had no results, but 2 people told me my hair looked darker and/or thicker. Havn't cut it in a while so I'm chalkin it up to that lol. No sides either btw.

Originally posted by BigThinker
              You comfortable with upping the dose? Might be time to beat that DHT up, breh. I took a two week break and have been back on it daily for a solid week and feeling pristine.
              Brb bro, popping my first 10kg dut pill...

Lol ya I'm upping to 0.5mg/day and going to retest levels in a month or two.

Comment

• Dan26
                • Jul 2012

Been taking 1.25mg ED since October, my DHT is still the same -_-

Comment

• Dan26
                  • Jul 2012

Another Update...

I've been taking dut 1mg ED for 10 days then 0.5mg/day since for a month

Got another set of blood tests

and STILL NO DHT REDUCTION

I am a mutant...

Also will be nw6 in the near future

RIP my follicles

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                    • Jun 2013

I am a mutant...
                    Your special ability is to go from handsome to unattractive in a few years.

Comment

• Dan26
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                      Your special ability is to go from handsome to unattractive in a few years.
                      lmao

basically....

I'm gonna get to the bottom of this. Already contacted some experts in search for explanations.

I'll def post back if I get some answers.

Comment

• IrishMarshmallow
                        • May 2017

Did you get any answers? The same thing happened to me, 2 months on fin only ~4% DHT drop.

Comment

• Dan26
                          • Jul 2012

Yes the DHT test is flawed you need a DHT-g test or even just a PSA to double check the fin is actually working. There is a small chance you are a rare phenotype that fin does not work for. I ended up just going on dut because it works for all genotypes.

Comment

• IrishMarshmallow
                            • May 2017

According to this article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16382684), response to finasteride is predetermined by the number of GAC repeats in AR-gene. So I have did just that (ordered DNA sequencing), need to wait 18 days for my results. Response to fin is lower in those with number > 22.

Also, thanks, I'm going to see PSA results in a few hours and will compare with baseline.

Also could you please explain shortly why you eventually decided to switch to dut?

Thank you.

Yes the DHT test is flawed you need a DHT-g test or even just a PSA to double check the fin is actually working. There is a small chance you are a rare phenotype that fin does not work for. I ended up just going on dut because it works for all genotypes.

Comment

• IrishMarshmallow
                              • May 2017

PSA levels are 12% lower than the baseline two months ago. DHT 4%.
                              Since I have no visible results, I guess I will switch to avodart as well...

Does that sound like your story? What were your results on both fin and dut?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions

Comment

Working...