Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Agem
    • Dec 2012

I give in!

almost 50 & its got to a point where i given up. I try to keep some of my hair long, but it can't cover me bald spot any more.....i have to hide it under a baseball cap.

So, Ok.........thats it.
    Tomorrow i shave......right back, not skinhead but VERY short. I hope Histogen pans out, but i suspect it will never quite make it to market...at lest anytime soon.

I guess there just comes a time.........at lest i got to 45 before it became a problem.

Mike/liverpool
  • Jcm800
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Agem
    almost 50 & its got to a point where i given up. I try to keep some of my hair long, but it can't cover me bald spot any more.....i have to hide it under a baseball cap.

So, Ok.........thats it.
    Tomorrow i shave......right back, not skinhead but VERY short. I hope Histogen pans out, but i suspect it will never quite make it to market...at lest anytime soon.

I guess there just comes a time.........at lest i got to 45 before it became a problem.

Mike/liverpool

I know how you feel Mike, i'm 44, my loss is now becoming an issue - had the back n sides clippered last week (first time since i can remember) and to be honest, the feeling of slight liberation doing that is nice, but to clipper my crown and vertex, well, that'll be hard, respect to you - i feel i'll be following you soon tho - fcking hairloss.

Comment

• Kayman
      • Dec 2012

I recommend you both cut your hair shorter in increments, get a haircut every 4 weeks, and each time get it cut shorter than the last, it puts less pressure on you when it comes to the moment of truth as you and those around you will already be used to seeing you with very short / shaved hair.

Comment

• Exodus
        • Nov 2012

Agreed. Im 23, did the above. Barely come on here.

Comment

• DAVE52
          • Sep 2010

To add , if you are planning a week's vacation get it buzzed using a # 2 .
          Then you have a week to get used to it .
          By the time you go back to work no one will know he difference or care ---just say you cut it short for your vacation .

Comment

• stilltrying
            • Jul 2013

Hairloss is a bitch, but at 50 it's really a different case than when you're in your twenties. At 50 it's very common for men to lose hair, while in your twenties you're a ridiculous outsider...

Comment

• stilltrying
              • Jul 2013

Sorry for my last post, that wasn't really a valuable addition to this thread. Sometimes I just feel I have to express my frustrations. Hope you can get used to the buzzed look. I would personally always prefer that to comb-overs by a thousand miles.

Comment

• MackJames
                • Sep 2009

I've decided to move on as well. I've quit all my treatment protocols three months ago. My hair and I've had a good run together. Like a lot of relationships, people hold on long after they should.

Comment

• BigThinker
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by MackJames
                  I've decided to move on as well. I've quit all my treatment protocols three months ago. My hair and I've had a good run together. Like a lot of relationships, people hold on long after they should.
                  Commendable. Good luck, brother. You better believe there is a point where I will do the same. I've got my NW 2.5 with good density up top, so I feel like it's worth fighting for.

Barring side effects or reaching NW 4, I'll probably hold on. Either of those happen and I'm with ya.

Best.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                    • Jun 2013

I just started this battle very late in the game. My hair is s#!t. We will see what happens, but if I don't see any improvement or it gets worse I will throw in the towel also.

Comment

• greatjob!
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by stilltrying
                      Hairloss is a bitch, but at 50 it's really a different case than when you're in your twenties. At 50 it's very common for men to lose hair, while in your twenties you're a ridiculous outsider...
                      Try when you're a teenager. I started losing my hair when I was around 13.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by greatjob!
                        Try when you're a teenager. I started losing my hair when I was around 13.
                        Yeah i feel for all you young guys. I thought I started young at 23, but 13...Damn.

Comment

• greatjob!
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                          Yeah i feel for all you young guys. I thought I started young at 23, but 13...Damn.
                          I'm 30 now so I survived so to speak, but hairloss definitely has had a large shitty impact on my life. I have never really known what it feels like to live with a nice head of hair, I was a NW3 by my sophomore year in high school, and a very diffused NW 5 by 21.

Comment

• MackJames
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BigThinker
                            Commendable. Good luck, brother. You better believe there is a point where I will do the same. I've got my NW 2.5 with good density up top, so I feel like it's worth fighting for.

Barring side effects or reaching NW 4, I'll probably hold on. Either of those happen and I'm with ya.

Best.

I hear ya, man. I recently became 36 and began to realize the fight to keep my hair was impacting my life. Listening to Joe on The Bald Truth, I came to the conclusion that I don't want to end up like him. He's so wrapped up in his hair loss that he does not have the ability to draw any joy from life. Joe is extremely depressing and ice had about enough of that kind of negativity.

I kept the majority of my hair without treatment for most of my thirties. I've been buzzing my hair for the past five years and I'm satisfied with the look.

I still read the boards because I've become interested in the science behind hair loss and am interested in possible advancements. And I like the people who post here. If they found a solution to hair loss I would try it but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                              • Feb 2011

I've considered shaving it off as well since I am sick and tired of the side effects associated with finasteride, as well as my extreme dissatisfaction with today's options to treat hair loss. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger though. Whenever I think about shaving it, getting off this f*****g finasteride and moving on with my life, I see or think of some type of reminder of how much better my life would be with my hair. And then I decide to continue on with the finasteride, side effects and all.

Comment

Working...