Does the mirror make it look worse or the camera make it look better?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodyy
    • Apr 2013

Does the mirror make it look worse or the camera make it look better?

Every time I check my hairline in the mirror it looks like its obviously receding, I'll go and take some pictures so I can document the progress of my treatment (just started duta and topical spiro) and I'm met with a perfectly normal hairline when I look at the pictures.

Honestly, if pictures were a better representation of real life than mirrors were I wouldn't even be on this site.
  • Aames
    Inactive
    • Nov 2012

Brah, I know these feels very well. I nearly have a panic attack every time I examine my hairline in the mirror post-shower. Then I'll go look at the photos that I posted in my duta log and I can completely understand why everyone was taking the piss out of me and thought that I was trolling. I don't know which representation is accurate.

Comment

• Woodyy
      • Apr 2013

Same, I don't get how the mirror can suggest I'm heading towards an NW2 and the camera suggests I'm not losing any hair whatsoever..

I don't even get the logic behind it though, I have a freckle on my hairline for a reference point, in both the mirror and camera my hairline is still at that freckle. I thought maybe it's due to the proportional difference between a phone/camera screen and a mirror but, and this may sound laughable, I printed out one of the pictures I took onto an A4 sheet and it still looks like there's no recession.

Do you go on the misc/bb.com by the way? From the way you and Highlander speak it seems like you do.

Comment

• Aames
        Inactive
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Woodyy
        Same, I don't get how the mirror can suggest I'm heading towards an NW2 and the camera suggests I'm not losing any hair whatsoever..

I don't even get the logic behind it though, I have a freckle on my hairline for a reference point, in both the mirror and camera my hairline is still at that freckle. I thought maybe it's due to the proportional difference between a phone/camera screen and a mirror but, and this may sound laughable, I printed out one of the pictures I took onto an A4 sheet and it still looks like there's no recession.

Do you go on the misc/bb.com by the way? From the way you and Highlander speak it seems like you do.
        I know man; it just doesn't make any sense. Maybe there's some distortion by being so close to the mirror versus a camera being far away? I know when I examine my hairline in the mirror, it is very close-up.

And yeah. I don't think Highlander posts there anymore (he's a red lmao) but I still do a bit. Sucks though since I can't really speak my mind for fear of negs. No one takes you seriously if you're red. Lots of stupid people there.

Comment

• Woodyy
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Aames
          I know man; it just doesn't make any sense. Maybe there's some distortion by being so close to the mirror versus a camera being far away? I know when I examine my hairline in the mirror, it is very close-up.

And yeah. I don't think Highlander posts there anymore (he's a red lmao) but I still do a bit. Sucks though since I can't really speak my mind for fear of negs. No one takes you seriously if you're red. Lots of stupid people there.
          Lmao, yeah, I don't go on there for any life lessons but it's funny sometimes. There's quite a popular hairloss thread on there but it's mostly full of misinformation and people thinking one propecia tab is going to turn you into a woman.

Comment

• mattj
            Doctor Representative
            • Oct 2009

It depends on the camera and the image quality. The typical photos people take of themselves to show their hair loss are not as clear as a close up inspection in the mirror.
            I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• Loony
              • Dec 2015

Logical thinking. Reality is reality, so what you see is what it is. What a camera shows is a whole different story, this all depends on lightning, focus, megapixels, shadows and a hundred other factors.

Your eyes won't change the actual reality. A camera can and will.

Comment

Working...