X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmonasco
    Inactive
    • Apr 2010

A New Approach to Treating Hair Loss

A new report highlights a novel way for doctors to replace thinning hairlines: transplanting leg hair.

The report, a study of two cases published in The Archives of Dermatology, describes a new procedure in which receding hairlines were restored by taking hair follicles from patients’ legs and grafting them to the head. Men’s leg hair had successfully been transplanted before to the back of the head, but these are believed to be the first documented cases of leg hair being used to restore the hairline.

A new report highlights a novel way for doctors to replace thinning hairlines: transplanting leg hair.
    • Jan 2012

are people that desperate?

Comment

• gmonasco
      Inactive
      • Apr 2010

Fix that receding hairline with some leg hair

A Los Angeles dermatologist says he has devised a cosmetic solution to solve that gnarly, Raggedy-Ann look at the front edge of the scalp. And his method seems so simple, follicly challenged folks may kick themselves for not dreaming it up.

Leg hair.

Comment

• mg39
        • Jan 2011

My leg hairs are less than 1" long, do they grow longer when in the scalp??? With that said, I have really hairy legs and could probably get my whole head done with them

Comment

• gmonasco
          Inactive
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by mg39
          My leg hairs are less than 1" long, do they grow longer when in the scalp?
          The abstract of Dr. Umar's paper says: "The mean length of the transplanted leg hair was longer than the length of the original leg hair, with less curliness but similar hair width."

Without access to the full paper, I can't tell how much longer the leg hairs typically grow once they've been transplanted to a scalp.

Comment

• elvispresley
            • Jun 2011

it could be a good option! especially if the price goes down...
            it will be interesting to read the complete PAPER..

Comment

• Tracy C
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by elvispresley
              it could be a good option!
              Transplanting body hair to the scalp is rarely a good option.

Comment

• Winston
                • Mar 2009

It's not difficult to have a paper published in that journal from what I have read, and just because the study was published does not make this a good option. It's nothing new and has been discussed online for many years. Dr. Cole used to do it and I think he no longer believes it to be a good option.
                Sending out a press release about "new" ways to treat hair loss will always get some interest from the press. It does not mean that this is any kind of a breakthrough. It is great press for Dr. Umar and I'm sure he's getting plenty of new patients from it, but that about all it is worth.

Comment

• DAVE52
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by mg39
                  My leg hairs are less than 1" long, do they grow longer when in the scalp???
                  Im no Dr but I highly doubt it .

Why would they grow longer because they are on your head instead of your legs ?

I think this option is only good if you've had a previous HT that was botched up and a complete mess and you have no further options

Comment

Working...