Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velvetmonkey
    • Dec 2012

The rockstar/hobo diet

I, and many others, have noticed that rockstars and hobos for some reason seem to have unusually thick and beautiful hair.

I have even found myself whishing I could trade places with some hobos with awesome hair. "You might be living in box but at least you look good doing it"

What could be behind this phenomenon? The way I see it there are 2 possible answers.

1. Alcohol - Both rockstars and hobos tend to drink above average amounts of alcohol. Maybe the estrogen protects their follicles.

2. Calorie restriction - both rockstars and hobos tend to go long periods without food. Rockstars because of hectic scheduels and drugs and hobos because of drugs and lack of money. The evidence for the benefits of intermitten fasting is piling up and it also makes sense that our bodies are adapted for an IF lifestyle since that is the way we evolved over hundreds of thousands of years.

An interesting thing that happens when you fast is that your levels of HGH (human growth hormones) sky rocket. After 24 hours they peak at 2000 %. There is also alot of anecdotal evidence from people (body builders for example) taking synthetic HGH that is grows hair like crazy.

What do you guys think? Could elevated levels of HGH as a consequence from intermitten fasting be the reason hobos and rockstars have great hair?

Maybe the combination of IF and alcohol (estrogen) is even better?
  • DAVE52
    • Sep 2010

Rockstars - probably wigs

Comment

• champpy
      • Apr 2015

I'll be damned man but I kind of noticed that too with the homeless population here. a lot of them really do have great hair lol. I really doubt that there maybe a connection.
      just thought it was kind of funny that I have also wanted to trade places with them because of the hair situation!

Comment

• Dimoxynil
        • Oct 2014

Bald homeless people wear bobble hats.

Comment

• Velvetmonkey
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by champpy
          I'll be damned man but I kind of noticed that too with the homeless population here. a lot of them really do have great hair lol. I really doubt that there maybe a connection.
          just thought it was kind of funny that I have also wanted to trade places with them because of the hair situation!
          Why do you doubt there is a connection? I don't see this phenomenon in other groups of society.

Instinctively you would think hobos had MORE baldness than the regular guy since they usually can't be bothered with propecia, rogaine, hair transplants, healthy eating etc. Instead it's the opposite.

Anybody care to comment on the science behind this theory? I HGH the key?

Comment

• tiktok
            • Jun 2014

High levels of alcohol will suppress testosterone levels over time resulting in lower DHT to bind to the hair follicles. The same can also be said for chronic stress and calorie suppression.

Comment

• NOhairNOlife
              • Dec 2014

I've noticed the same thing regarding hobos, a lot of them have great hair and considering their hygiene is usually sub-par. Just goes to prove AGA is a generic thing and has nothing to do with environment.

Comment

• Velvetmonkey
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by NOhairNOlife
                I've noticed the same thing regarding hobos, a lot of them have great hair and considering their hygiene is usually sub-par. Just goes to prove AGA is a generic thing and has nothing to do with environment.
                What do you mean? Hobos thick hair is an indication that environment is very important. Ofcourse baldness is genetical but if the hobo/rockstar observation is correct it means that diet can greatly protect against baldness.

Being a hobo is not genetical.

Comment

• Trouse5858
                  • Apr 2014

lol this thread brings some much appreciated levity to a forum that seems to get increasingly depressing.

It has nothing to do with 'cutting edge' treatments and is barely a supported anecdotal observation and yet is awesome nonetheless.

"Being a hobo is not genetical." Lmao

Comment

• Velvetmonkey
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Trouse5858
                    lol this thread brings some much appreciated levity to a forum that seems to get increasingly depressing.

It has nothing to do with 'cutting edge' treatments and is barely a supported anecdotal observation and yet is awesome nonetheless.

"Being a hobo is not genetical." Lmao
                    LOL! Glad you are enjoying the thread

But seriously, I think the connection between hair, intermitten fasting and HGH is interesting.

HGH is up regulated by 2000% after 24 hours of fasting. And it's called Human GROWTH hormone for a reason.

Comment

• diffuseloser
                      • Sep 2014

We should just get shit faced every day and see if that works.

Comment

• Trouse5858
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by diffuseloser
                        Taayi umean yoush hood gitshitfaced evryday annd cee if that wurks kkk lemie know dood

Comment

• NOhairNOlife
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Velvetmonkey
                          What do you mean? Hobos thick hair is an indication that environment is very important. Ofcourse baldness is genetical but if the hobo/rockstar observation is correct it means that diet can greatly protect against baldness.

Being a hobo is not genetical.
                          Lol... I know

Originally posted by diffuseloser
                          I get shit faced every weekend, still losing it.

Comment

• beetee
                            • Nov 2013

Granted this is unscientific and anecdotal, but the percentage of homeless people with very thick heads of hair is truly remarkable. I personally am not buying into the rockstar part (you can add movie stars as well) as there's too much actual hair loss (check Keith Richards, whose lifetime drug/alcohol intake and lack of eating must be as significant as anyone's and his hair is thinning now (although there's certainly no shame in that at his age)) and too much money being spent on transplants/very high-end wigs etc. (see Ben Affleck, Matthew McConaughey, etc.).

But with the homeless element, one other aspect I'd add to the conversation: What if it has something to do with how much sun they get? I know there haven't been any direct links between lack of Vitamin D and hair loss, but some forms of Vitamin D have been shown to have something to do with hair growth. I'd also add the following category for consideration in this discussion: West Coast surfers and skateboarders, who get lots of sun year round. We are now at the point where there are a lot of 40+ year old skaters, and I swear it seems like over 95% of them have extremely thick heads of hair. If it's anything it can't be just the regular exercise, as plenty of world class athletes have thinning hair.

Comment

• Velvetmonkey
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by beetee
                              Granted this is unscientific and anecdotal, but the percentage of homeless people with very thick heads of hair is truly remarkable. I personally am not buying into the rockstar part (you can add movie stars as well) as there's too much actual hair loss (check Keith Richards, whose lifetime drug/alcohol intake and lack of eating must be as significant as anyone's and his hair is thinning now (although there's certainly no shame in that at his age)) and too much money being spent on transplants/very high-end wigs etc. (see Ben Affleck, Matthew McConaughey, etc.).

But with the homeless element, one other aspect I'd add to the conversation: What if it has something to do with how much sun they get? I know there haven't been any direct links between lack of Vitamin D and hair loss, but some forms of Vitamin D have been shown to have something to do with hair growth. I'd also add the following category for consideration in this discussion: West Coast surfers and skateboarders, who get lots of sun year round. We are now at the point where there are a lot of 40+ year old skaters, and I swear it seems like over 95% of them have extremely thick heads of hair. If it's anything it can't be just the regular exercise, as plenty of world class athletes have thinning hair.
                              Keith Richards is 36 years older than me and still has more hair than me. And look at the rest of The Rolling Stones, I would swap hair with any of them in a heart beat.

They say that baldness affects 70 percent of men. There is no way this is true for rockstars or hobos.

I think you are making a misstake in dragging movie stars into this. First of all the movie industry is not synonymous with drug use and unhealthy living in the same way as the rock star life style is. Movie stars tend to eat super healthy and even have dietists helping them out.

The key here I believe is the the intermitten fasting that comes with both the hobo and rock star lifestyle.

From an evolutionary perspective IF makes perfect sense. This is the way we live for hundreds of thousands of years and it is what our bodies are adapted for. We NEVER had access to food 24/7 the way we do now. No fridges, no supermarkets. Going days without a steady meal is the norm throughout history.

Hobos can go a long time without eating, rock stars likewise. You don't even have to be a meth head or anything. I saw a documentary about Beyonce, she didn't eat for 24 hours just because she was so busy. My point is that it's easy to skip meals when you are caught up in that hectic lifestyle, and if you are also doing appetite supressing drugs it's even easier to go long periods without eating.

Seriously, it's really hard to think of a bald rock star. But I can name hundreds with great hair. There is no way 70 percent of them are bald.

Sunshine, like you say, might also play a part with the hobos. I think people up here in northern Europe where I live tend to be more bald than mediteranean people for example. We stay indoor most of the year and its really dark.

Maybe hobos have a perfect storm going with alcohol for supressing testosterone and HGH and vitamin D for upregulating hair growth.

Comment

Working...