Is "facial aging" from minoxidil real or is it just hype?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NW9000
    • Dec 2016

Is "facial aging" from minoxidil real or is it just hype?

Something I've seen in posts across hair loss forums from 3-4 years ago

Just wondering what the consensus is now
  • k9gatton
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by NW9000
    Something I've seen in posts across hair loss forums from 3-4 years ago

Just wondering what the consensus is now

It's just hype. Some people are allergic to propylene glycerol. When that's the case, foam can be used. So
    allergies might increase puffiness, but that's about it. I take very high dosages (30% cream/supplemented
    with 5%). Nothing happened to my face. Everybody's different though.

Comment

• Louish
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by k9gatton
      It's just hype. Some people are allergic to propylene glycerol. When that's the case, foam can be used. So
      allergies might increase puffiness, but that's about it. I take very high dosages (30% cream/supplemented
      You mean "propylene glycol". Glycerol is one of the most viscous substance in nature...

Comment

• NW9000
        • Dec 2016

Isn't minox said to inhibit collagen production or something ?

Comment

• Louish
          • Aug 2015

Never heard of that but taking a drug that was design to treat high blood pressure twice daily must have negative effects at some level...Yes there are systemic effects even from a topical foam etc...

Comment

• k9gatton
            • Oct 2016

There's no facial side effects, in my own opinion.

Keep in mind Minoxidil is only five percent. That means 95% is something else. And yes, some
            people have allergic reactions.

But the dosage is very, very small (Minoxidil, that is). It's very unlikely.

Comment

• richter101
              • Jan 2015

Wow. Never heard of this.. but got off Minoxidil years ago just due to the simple fact that the effect faded quickly. Now it's just finasteride and good old fashioned FUE :-)

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89
              Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09
              Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:
              HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016
              Finasteride daily, since 2014
              Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year

Comment

• k9gatton
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by NW9000
                Isn't minox said to inhibit collagen production or something ?
                It doesn't.

Comment

• k9gatton
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Louish
                  Never heard of that but taking a drug that was design to treat high blood pressure twice daily must have negative effects at some level...Yes there are systemic effects even from a topical foam etc...
                  It doesn't cause any side effects. That's five percent. And stop trolling my posts.

Comment

• k9gatton
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Louish
                    Really, show some proof then.

Comment

• Driver
                      • Nov 2015

I think it is all baloney, IMHO.

Comment

• funkville
                        • Aug 2016

I have had eye sides from minox. I've learnt that it may actually be added ingredients and the percentage used. I started with 12.5% with alzelic acid cream from belgravia in London. My eye got puffy and looked hollow. Then went to 8% lipquid with mpg (synthetic progesterone) and caffeine twice a day. My hair grew like crazy but my eyes got sensitive to light and eyes got worse. Recently I just started using big standard 5% regaine and guess what eyes have got much better. I think it's dependent how much you can tolerate and also if you react negatively to ingredients added. Oh and for me minoxidil dries my eyes so add being infront of a screen for hours your eyes become inflamed. To combat this I use eye drops.

To add I have read about minoxidil affecting collagen. I use tretinoin cream every night to combat this and I can say it's made a difference

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                          • Jan 2011

If you overdose, yes.

I am 28, just turned 28, and people are shocked to know I am 28 because I look very young. It is not a lite reaction either, people are genuinely shocked I am in my late 20s. I look like a teenager. Youtful looking skin and facial features runs in my family. My father is 63 but all of my friends guess he's in his 40s. My mother has been confused for being my sister by strangers. etc. So you know, it would be weird to see me getting old so fast.

With that said, when I was overdosing on kirkland's minoxidil (2ml twice a day = 4ml a day) I was getting what looked like senile spots on my head. Good news is, when I toned it back down to just 1 ml twice a day, the senile spots went away in a month. So it seems like, just like the minoxidil dependant hair, the senile spots are minoxidil dependant too. I also got dark circles that were also dependant on how much minoxidil I used. I had a friend ask once if I have been fighting, that's how bad it was.

I don't use kirkland's anymore, I use Lipogaine, which doesn't make my head itch. But I still have an 8 pack there, it just expired. Since i'm on the subject, anyone knows how ineffective is expired minoxidil? I mean what ingredient exactly expires of it? Everything?

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                            • Jan 2011

You see how finasteride doesn't cause sides to everyone? It's the same with minoxidil, some users will experience face bloating, dark circles, aging skin, others won't. But those who don't shouldn't reject that it happens entirely. I don't get sides from fin, but i'm not in the group who claims that because they don't get sides then they must not exist. Minoxidil side effects exist and people do get them. You don't get them, congrats, but they exist.

Comment

• k9gatton
                              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by PatientlyWaiting
                              You see how finasteride doesn't cause sides to everyone? It's the same with minoxidil, some users will experience face bloating, dark circles, aging skin, others won't. But those who don't shouldn't reject that it happens entirely. I don't get sides from fin, but i'm not in the group who claims that because they don't get sides then they must not exist. Minoxidil side effects exist and people do get them. You don't get them, congrats, but they exist.
                              Understand what you're saying. That's why I said everyone is different.

When I first joined a hair website, a couple years ago, I thought everybody had good Minoxidil reactions.

That isn't the case though. And as I also found out myself, the positive effects of Minoxidil won't last
                              unless there's an anti DHT agent being used. (For males with androgen alopecia, I really don't know
                              a lot about females who have it).

Comment

Working...