Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trsisko
    • Oct 2010

32 and Balding

I've had a good run and had a full head of hair till up to 29, now I'm balding badly. The worst of it is when bright light shines on my head I can see right through to my scalp! Its annoying as i have a really long face and i tried shaving my head and i look like something from the Adams family!

Now I've managed to be a little less self aware by using Nanogen which has helped me to cover it up! Should I try to use rogaine? I'm active in the gym and would prefer to stay away from propecia as my doctor said it could have implications in fertility.

My question is should i start on rogaine? I've surfed the internet and cannot see any positive results or comparisons?
    Attached Files
  • dgman21
    • Sep 2010

Wow your in the same situation as me..I've been on propecia for 3 yrs without much benefit. This year was the worst ever...Even the last couple months!

Comment

• River
      • Mar 2009

The assertion your doctor made that propecia affects fertility is an interesting one. It is well known that infertility is a possible side effect of 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (5ARD), which is a disease characterised by an inability to create DHT. DHT causes hairloss, so this means individuals with this disease do not lose their hair. As such, they are good biological models of propecia users.

However, there is a key difference between a propecia user, and an individual with 5ARD. A propecia user would have not grown up using propecia. As such, their seminal vesicles and prostate will develop normally. As adults using propecia, their seminal vesicles and prostate will be affected slightly, but some adults with 5ard do not have a chance do develop a normal prostate and seminal vesicles. This is what causes infertility for them.

So, its pretty unlikely that propecia will cause infertility. But if you want to keep your hair, and your still concerned about your fertility, you could always consider freezing a deposit at an IVF clinic

Comment

• trsisko
        • Oct 2010

Here in the UK they only have one patient who uses Propecia (I guess they all buy it on the internet) in my surgery and the Doctor said it would really play around with the male sex hormones.

So far i seem to be able to feel good and cover up using Nanogen. I'm tempted to start with rogaine and move onto propecia (I fear the breasts and loss of testosterone)

Attached Nanogen photo for anyone thinking of using it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
          IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
          • Nov 2008

I have had many patients over the years that had been taking Propecia for several years and were able to have healthy children during that process. That should not be the only reason you do not give it a try to slow down the hair loss.
          Dr. Glenn Charles
          Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
          View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• januse1
            • Aug 2009

Well at least you hit your thirties, people always complemented my ridiculously thick hair, and how i'm lucky.... then i turned 21 LOL! went south from there. I'm 24 now, pulled out the buzzer, grabbed a razor, and put the rest behind me.

At this point i wish i was completely bald already because i have to shave like everyday to keep a nice smooth noggin HAHA!

Comment

• Spex
              Dr Representative
              • Nov 2008

Your GP like most obviously knows very little about Propecia with all due respect to him/her. Not many do unfortunately and its a common issue.

Speak to Dr Ashcroft in the UK

Dr John Ashcroft is well known through the community for supplying Proscar, DUT etc and has done for some time to the UK guys. I thought i had put his new info up but cant find it. Its on my site but here is is also for reference. He is a great guy and i have purchased my Proscar from him for 10 years nearly now. He is a legit

A great guy and i vouch for him 100%

I have been getting my meds from him for over 10 years. i have been consistently taking 1 mg proscar during this time and at our FIRST attempt to have a baby my wife and i had TWINS (boy, girl) most uncommon combo due to HIGH fertility so kind of rains on the infertility fear mungers
              Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
                • Nov 2008

I agree Spex that most GP's are totally uneducated when it comes to hair loss. Instead of just admitting that they are not well versed in this area of medicine and send the patient to a doctor who is they feed the patient a bunch of Bull____. Excuse my French. Hey I have twins too (identical).
                Dr. Glenn Charles
                View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• Spex
                  Dr Representative
                  • Nov 2008

I agree Spex that most GP's are totally uneducated when it comes to hair loss. Instead of just admitting that they are not well versed in this area of medicine and send the patient to a doctor who is they feed the patient a bunch of Bull____. Excuse my French. Hey I have twins too (identical).
                  I concur Doc.

Twins hey! We clearly have the minerals
                  Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• trsisko
                    • Oct 2010

I'm still pretty open to Propecia and will consider it.

At present I'm just eating healthy, taking vitamins and exercising regularly.

I'm purchased a few bottles of rogaine at 2% and have thought of starting with that, though I've read about the mass shedding which sometimes never returns...my hair doesnt seem to be getting much worse and I'm happy to cover it with Nanogen for now...It's amazinng how relaxed i feel when a big light is shinning and i can no longer see a bald spot!

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
                      • Nov 2008

It is really is amazing how a persons hair density can look so different depending on the lighting. If you found a way to make yourself feel comfortable that is great. Eating healthy and exercising regularly will keep you alive longer and give you a better quality of life.
                      Dr. Glenn Charles
                      View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• trsisko
                        • Oct 2010

looks like my hair loss has got a lot worse and i need to do something. Can anyone confirm if propecia will help with this type of hair loss?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• dgman21
                          • Sep 2010

I have a bottle of toppik but what I do right now is comb it to the side and use a thickening powder. If I comb my hair back or straight it really looks thin and i would have to use the toppik. I hate the mornings after a shower,i tlooks horrendous. Ive said this soo many times. And it sucks that i cant go swimming or very windy and rainy days.....

I really want to go for the transplant but I'm trying to wait for the cure and hold off cause of many of the stories on here. Anyone else want to vent similarily? Please do it helps me!!!

Comment

• trsisko
                            • Oct 2010

I know the feeling...the other day I had a hair cut with nanogen in my hair and i thought..wow, not so bad. Then I washed my hair and bam..how I felt low.

At the moment, my hair still looks like a full head of hair when i use the nanogen and my bald patch's have only receded a little over the last 4 years. so I'm hoping it will not speed up at all and i'm open to propecia at some point.

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
                              • Nov 2008

The sooner you start to Propecia the more hair you will have to potentially slow down the fallout. There are no guarentees, but most patients would agree that it is worth a try.
                              Dr. Glenn Charles
                              View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

Working...