X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Banana Republic
    • Nov 2009

Shock loss around the scar

Dear friends,

I have what I believe is the worst shock loss in the history of hair transplants. (Okay, maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but maybe I'm not.) I had the FUT procedure done. On the sides of my head, the shock loss is a good inch vertically and three inches diagonally, following the direction of the scar. For some reason, I have no shock loss in the back. But the sides are just horrendous. It is just bare, ugly skin. Really disgusting.

I've seen pictures of other people's shock loss and I'm honestly jealous, because theirs is nothing compared to mine.

Is it normal for the shock loss area around the donor zone to be completely hairless 9 weeks post-surgery? Is there any chance this could be permanent?

Mind you, I had my procedure done at Hasson & Wong. They're confident that it'll all grow back, but I'm freaking out here and not really feeling very convinced or optimistic.

Help!

Thanks.
  • Spex
    Dr Representative
    • Nov 2008

Hi there,

Rest assured not uncommon to get shock loss ( even sever shock loss) around scar and in particular below the scar. It is to do with the blood supply. Gert on MSM and even apply a little minoxidil to the area 1x a day and within t4-5 months it will return.

Regards
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• GNX
      • Dec 2012

another reason to steer clear of FUT!

Comment

• Banana Republic
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by GNX
        another reason to steer clear of FUT!
        Wow, that's for that gem of wisdom. After reading that, my hair grew back overnight.

Comment

• GNX
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Banana Republic
          Wow, that's for that gem of wisdom. After reading that, my hair grew back overnight.
          the truth doesn't usually sit well with ppl but it is wat it is. these are the little things they fail to mention to u wen getting FUT. and H&W is as good as it gets wen it comes to FUT but its another classic example why FUE is the superior procedure.

Comment

• GNX
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
            It is fair to say FUT and FUE each have pros and cons. However, the claim of superiority is a little to early to make. It takes years of studies and side by side comparison to decide that. Although, on a personal basis, it is clear some people would see on superior to the other when looking at individual variants like scarring and shock. Our clinic does FUE only, however we often do find patients that are not good candidates for this and we are proud to refer them to FUT clinics to consider other options.
            fair enough Doc. but im not aware of any patient looking for an FUT doctor to repair their FUE surgery. are you?

I agree some with limited donor are forced to go FUT but since you as well as no one else on earth can truly say how one will heal after carving a huge chunk of flesh from the back of someones head its always a gamble that I myself am not willing to take....

Comment

• Banana Republic
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by GNX
              the truth doesn't usually sit well with ppl but it is wat it is. these are the little things they fail to mention to u wen getting FUT. and H&W is as good as it gets wen it comes to FUT but its another classic example why FUE is the superior procedure.
              You're missing the point: this is all useless to me, the equivalent of a 4-year-old saying, "I told you so." GFY

Comment

• GNX
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Banana Republic
                You're missing the point: this is all useless to me, the equivalent of a 4-year-old saying, "I told you so." GFY
                I didn't miss anything. wat happen to u isn't unusual but I'm sure they neglected to tell u that before the procedure. the only one that got fuked here is YOU!

Comment

• Banana Republic
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by GNX
                  I didn't miss anything. wat happen to u isn't unusual but I'm sure they neglected to tell u that before the procedure. the only one that got fuked here is YOU!
                  Oh hey, look: another troll on a hair loss site. How shocking.

Comment

• DD214 is back
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by GNX
                    Some people will never be satisfied. I had an FUT and am completely satisfied but everyone is different. My donor site had some loss but grew back and the donor site scar is negligible to the point I cannot find it. This was done in two procedures, first 1700, second 2000, and for less than $5000 total. I'll never need another HT again.

Comment

• Alwayslearning
                      • Oct 2015

I too had an HT in August this year and am suffering a large amount of shock loss under my scar in the donor area. I haven't seen your pictures so I can't compare, but I have been told by the same surgery that it will grow back after 3 to 5 months. They assure me that they have seen it before and that it sometimes happens. I am 7 weeks post op, so almost in the same time frame. Keep me posted.

Comment

• Banana Republic
                        • Nov 2009

Thanks for sharing, my friend. I am very pleased to report that the donor area suffering from shock loss is beginning to recover. I managed to find a concealer similar to Toppik, which does a FANTASTIC job of covering it up.

I am also pleased to report that I am seeing incredible growth in the recipient area! And I'm only at 3 months post-surgery. My new hairline is now unmistakable. I'm incredibly pleased with the results so far. I can't wait to see what I look like in a few more months.

Hang in there, my friend. The first three months are the hardest. My concealer and black baseball cap from H&W have been my best friends for the last couple of months.

Comment

• Alwayslearning
                          • Oct 2015

Thank you. I appreciate your support.

Comment

• Banana Republic
                            • Nov 2009

UPDATE: I'm past the 4 month mark now. The shock loss from my donor area has almost completely recovered. I've cut my hair short and you can barely see the line. The best part: I no longer have to wear any concealer!

Plus, I have achieved INCREDIBLE growth over the last month. I'm just amazing at my results. I honestly can't stop looking in the mirror. (Before and immediately after surgery, I couldn't stop looking in the mirror, but for the opposite reason). Most importantly, I've got my self-esteem back. I actually feel good about myself. I no longer go to bed at night feeling depressed and awful. I'm actually sleeping better.

These procedures are not cheap by any means. But honestly, it was the best investment I've ever made.

Comment

• Banana Republic
                              • Nov 2009

UPDATE: I'm past the 4 month mark now. The shock loss from my donor area has almost completely recovered. I've cut my hair short and you can barely see the line. The best part: I no longer have to wear any concealer!

Plus, I have achieved INCREDIBLE growth over the last month. I'm just amazing at my results. I honestly can't stop looking in the mirror. (Before and immediately after surgery, I couldn't stop looking in the mirror, but for the opposite reason). Most importantly, I've got my self-esteem back. I actually feel good about myself. I no longer go to bed at night feeling depressed and awful. I'm actually sleeping better.

These procedures are not cheap by any means. But honestly, it was the best investment I've ever made.

Comment

Working...