Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hiilikeyourbeard
    • Jun 2013

sustance abuse/self medicating

long story short: when i was in my early teens i was heavy into drugs and almost lost my life because of it, went to treatment when i was 18 and was sober for 7 years. hair loss changed that so fast it was unbelievable. since then i have been self medicating again with drugs. does anyone else struggle with this? it's just insane how fast it caused a relapse in me.
  • Notcoolanymore
    • Jun 2013

Drugs are one thing that I have never tried. Believe me I hate hair loss as much as the next guy, but will not go to the extremes because I can't deal with it.

Comment

• hiilikeyourbeard
      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
      Drugs are one thing that I have never tried. Believe me I hate hair loss as much as the next guy, but will not go to the extremes because I can't deal with it.
      that's great to hear. this has just weakened me like nothing else, and fast.

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

Rather than seeking comfort in substance abuse, why not seek a doctor to help steer you in the right direction to treat your hair loss? Seems like you are only 25. If so your chances of arresting your hair loss and possibly reversing some of it are excellent.

Comment

• Morbo
          • Jan 2012

I'm not quite sure what you're exactly referring to with 'self-medicating' or why you're describing it that way. I understand you've had problems in the past with (presumably) hard drugs. So you're talking about a relapse, using the former drugs to forget your problems or self medicating drugs to counter your hair loss or using subscription marijuana to relief stress. Just to make sure.

Comment

• hiilikeyourbeard
            • Jun 2013

yes that's what I'm referring to. anything to numb this pain

Comment

• Auraria
              Doctor Representative
              • Jun 2013

Honestly, if you know that you have had problems in the past with drugs, I would not even enter that territory again. A lot of (synthetic) drugs now-a-days, though they may make you feel good, they have a long list of side effects (short term, and even long term) Even caffeine, if you abuse it, can turn people into almost like zombies (tired all the time if they don't have it...etc.)

You have to also remember that you have a will. You have self control. You can't let these drugs control you. What I would do is slowly ween myself off of these drugs, or even stop cold turkey and get a support group. Talking to a dermatologist/doctor about your personal concerns with any hair loss is great, as well. Eating a good diet (fruits, vegetables, lean meats..etc..) void of processed food, and exercising daily can really help boost confidence, and change the way one looks at life. All of these can also help with lowering stress levels (which can contribute to hair loss)

I really hope that you take this advice to heart.
              Good luck.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by hiilikeyourbeard
                yes that's what I'm referring to. anything to numb this pain
                Been there. Alcohol, cannabis, occasional rx pills got me through the long finasteride treatment process.
                If I did not get results from fin I probably never would have stopped

Comment

• BigThinker
                  • Oct 2012

I imagine all that crap is bad for your hair. That alone is enough of an incentive for me to steer way the hell clear of it.

Comment

• hiilikeyourbeard
                    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by BigThinker
                    I imagine all that crap is bad for your hair. That alone is enough of an incentive for me to steer way the hell clear of it.
                    I've seen 45 year old Norwood 2s that are drunks and crackheads. does nothing

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                      • Jun 2013

All the drunks I have known, I mean big time alcoholics, have all had full heads of hair. I don't know any illegal drug users though.

Comment

• hiilikeyourbeard
                        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                        All the drunks I have known, I mean big time alcoholics, have all had full heads of hair. I don't know any illegal drug users though.
                        very true. all the old drunks who come into my work have full heads of hair

Comment

Working...