Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • royboy
    • Feb 2013

Finasterside at 17

Hey guys just thought I'd finally share my story. During this past football season I started to lose a bunch of hairs stricktly from the crown and it initially got me scared as all hell. I quickly saw my family doctor who of course just ran some blood tests and said you seem fine stop stressing about it. I got that Nioxin shampoo and the funny thing is my hair stopped falling out for a month or so and I completely ignored the fact that I could potentially be going bald, especially since my dad has a full head of hair and only one of my uncle's is bald. I stopped that shampoo as soon as my hair stopped falling, but within a couple of weeks it felt like my hairs were jumping off my head. This time it wasn't just my crown, but literally my entire head was thinning. On a side note most of my life I have worn my hair as a buzz, but for some reason as my hair kept falling I kept growing out my hair for some idiotic reason, eventually till it was the longest it had ever been. I finally came to my senses and got my hair cut shorter, which actually made it look worlds better. Again I thought maybe I was just going through a phase and it was finally over. Well fast forward to a month or so ago all day long at school every time I ran my fingers through my hair 2-8 would be on my hand and I panicked. My dermatolgist perscribed me finasterside (even though being only 17) and I have been on 1.25 mg a day for a little over a month.

p.s. I guess this was kind of a pointless thread, but I just wanted to post my story and see if there are any other similar situations out there. Here are a couple pics of my journey up untill I buzzed it again a couple days ago.

-Best of luck to all of us
    Attached Files
  • drybone
    • Dec 2012

Hi . Welcome to the forum. There are a few other guys on here who are under 18. You will meet fast friends here.

I wish you the best and let us know how it goes.

Comment

• gldngamer
      • Feb 2013

Hey dude, your hairloss is very similar to mine. I'm 18 yearS and started fin about 4 days back. Keep up the fight man, you're not alone ^_^

Comment

• ulanude
        • Dec 2011

stay away from finasteride. i took it for years and sides/health risks just not worth it. stick to minoxidil (rogaine) and something natural for complementation

Comment

• 25 going on 65
          • Sep 2010

Interesting.I used to assume DHT blocking should be left until age 20 but I see more and more posts by guys who start fin or dut at 17-18 and seem to do OK.

Good luck! I wish you good health and hope you have no sides, as these drugs definitely work for hair

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
            Interesting.I used to assume DHT blocking should be left until age 20 but I see more and more posts by guys who start fin or dut at 17-18 and seem to do OK.

Good luck! I wish you good health and hope you have no sides, as these drugs definitely work for hair
            I wish I could have started taking fin at 17. These guys learn a lot faster than us. Unfortunately I found legit hair loss forums in 2009 when I was already 20.

Comment

• royboy
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by 25 going on 65

yeah i've read that most don't start till later but i hit puberty early and was done growing by 15 so idk if that will help or not. hopefully it doesn't mess with anything no sides so far.

Comment

• Benjaymin
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by royboy
                yeah i've read that most don't start till later but i hit puberty early and was done growing by 15 so idk if that will help or not. hopefully it doesn't mess with anything no sides so far.
                this is interesting to me, since i hit puberty at 11 (im currently 16) and i'm obviously done puberty since i look 25 with a full beard haha. Maybe i could get on fin aswell. Gooduck buddy!

Comment

• royboy
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Benjaymin
                  this is interesting to me, since i hit puberty at 11 (im currently 16) and i'm obviously done puberty since i look 25 with a full beard haha. Maybe i could get on fin aswell. Gooduck buddy!
                  i suggest you do man. i try to ignore people on here who say it will only mess with you because my dermatologist said literally less than 2 percent see any sides at all and that i should see my hair loss slowed within 2 months (which would make me extremely happy).

Comment

• akai
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by royboy
                    Are you just talking about height? Because you're not done growing until your 20s.

Comment

• royboy
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by akai
                      Are you just talking about height? Because you're not done growing until your 20s.
                      My doctor told me 4 years ago that my growth plates were almost closed which means you are done growing. Im 6-2 though so that was never an issue

Comment

• Kenkieth16
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ulanude
                        stay away from finasteride. i took it for years and sides/health risks just not worth it. stick to minoxidil (rogaine) and something natural for complementation
                        thankyou atleast SOMEBODY understands the risk. ! I just made a post on here talking about that...look it up

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Kenkieth16
                          thankyou atleast SOMEBODY understands the risk. ! I just made a post on here talking about that...look it up
                          I think every guy who has read studies on this drug understands the risk. It is not a new or mysterious med....a small % of people get sides, a fraction of that small % will have noticeable sides that persist long after quitting the drug (yes this has come up in at least 1 study). Almost everybody slows, stops or reverses MPB on it.

Every person has to decide for himself if the risk is worth it. For me it was an obvious choice as I consider baldness the equivalent of ED, gyno, depression, etc combined

Comment

• drybone
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ulanude
                            So you are one of the 4% who had notice able side effects. Why would you stay on it? Stubborn?

For the rest of us, fin is great. The are no major side effects.

Comment

• drybone
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Kenkieth16
                              We all understand the risks. Most of us are not dumb enough to have major side effects and STILL take the medication for years.

The 4% who have notice able side effects need to go to the doctor and then make a decision to discontinue and or try alternate therapy.

The other 96% of us are fine, so I would go with what we have to say about it not the small minority who had problems.

I am sure you can use your common sense to discontinue ANY medication if it gives you noticeable side effects.

Comment

Working...