+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hello - 22, M, Fin, 8 months so far

Hello

I've been anonymously browsing these forums looking for advice for months now, thought I'd make an account, instead of rudely reading from the shadows. I'm 22, have been using Finasteride to slow down MPB, and have so far had results, I suppose. The hair loss was never really that aggressive (always had thin hair, bit thinner at the back now, a bit of receding, etc), but I thought I'd see about Fin anyway. I got a new job 9 months ago and started making a bit extra, so I thought "What the hell?".

I've also been using Nizoral shampoo once a week, sometimes twice, and Alpecin shampoo every other day. I did use Minoxidil briefly for a few months before the Fin, but found it make my hair look horrible.

I guess what I'd like to ask, is anyone else on this particular regimine? Have you had good results with it? Is there anything else I could be trying out?

Finasteride will slow down and possibly stop your hair loss. Finasteride may also allow weakened hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair but it does not stimulate those weakened hair follicles to start growing hair again.

Nizoral may block the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss at your scalp.

Alpecin does absolutely nothing to treat hereditary hair loss.

Minoxidil stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair. The foam version is much more stealthy. Many use the foam in the morning because it is stealthy then use the liquid in the eveneing because it is less expensive.

I have had good experience with my laser comb. You might too.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know about Alpecins effect, I feel it makes my hair a bit thicker though but that's probably psychological.

I'd like to try the laser comb (seems a bit expensive for something that might not work, however) and I'll look into it in the future. From experience, how did you get on with it? What effects did you see..?

I've had good results on finasteride and 2% keto shampoo (aka generic Nizoral). Everyone responds differently, but your regimen will almost certainly slow your hair loss, it may stop it from progressing, and it may produce minor regrowth. It may also improve the quality/thickness of existing hair.

Minoxidil could definitely boost the regrowth by a noticeable amount, but again, everyone responds differently. I personally don't use minox but it would be worth a shot if you're trying to maximize your hair count on medss.

Good luck!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

If you are considering trying the Minoxidil again use Rogaine 5% foam once a day at night. This should not cause any hair styling issues.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    If you are considering trying the Minoxidil again use Rogaine 5% foam once a day at night. This should not cause any hair styling issues.
    Would a single dose of 5% foam be enough to see any kind of results..? From what I've read, the twice a day application seems to be stressed.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I think that the foam stays on the scalp much longer than the liquid and they just want people to buy more product. Can't say for sure but that is just my gut feeling.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Better update...

I guess it's been 9 months on Fin now, but I added Minoxidil Foam one a day (using it as a setting agent, actually) about a month ago, and have started the dreaded shed. I've just cut my hair shorter to counteract it, seems to have done the trick.

I've heard that the more you shed on Min the more grows back? Or is this just a rumour?

Also, any shed through Fin, does that also mean that stronger hairs will grow back?

I should have researched it a bit better, to be honest...

Hi there, cheers for sharing your story... Did you shed at all on fin alone (before minox) in the first 9 months? if so how much? any change to general hair texture/quality?

The IAHRS Dr who prescribed my finasteride also seemed to believe in the effectiveness of Rogaine foam once a day.