+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default 19 year old male experiencing a receding hairline and thinning

I remember having a high hairline as early as adolescence. But lately I can't help but notice my high temples. I can live with this, I just grow my bangs long to cover it up. I'm worried about it getting worse and me being bald in another few years.

Lately I've been noticing a lot of hairs falling out on the top of my head, but not the back or sides. For that reason I suspect that this is male pattern baldness. I also have a family history of this.

I'm interested in Rogaine foam. I'd like to hear from people that have experience with this product and/or balding at a young age.

Hi hairforme,

Rogaine foam is not BS. Actually for many people Rogaine foam works much better because it is less irritating, it is easier to use, it dries faster and it is more stealthy than liquid Minoxidil. Many use both foam and liquid, foam in the morning because it is stealthy then liquid in the evening to save money.

A few other things that may help you are to switch to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, use Nizoral shampoo once or twice a week in place of your regular shampoo and possibly using the laser comb every other day.

Attempting to treat hair loss without addressing the cause is a very steep uphill battle. However, you need to discuss this with a qualified physician.

Take care,

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Hi hairforme,

Rogaine foam is not BS. Actually for many people Rogaine foam works much better because it is less irritating, it is easier to use, it dries faster and it is more stealthy than liquid Minoxidil. Many use both foam and liquid, foam in the morning because it is stealthy then liquid in the evening to save money.

A few other things that may help you are to switch to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, use Nizoral shampoo once or twice a week in place of your regular shampoo and possibly using the laser comb every other day.

Attempting to treat hair loss without addressing the cause is a very steep uphill battle. However, you need to discuss this with a qualified physician.

Take care,

Tracy
    I am going to switch shampoos again. I'll look into Nizoral. I just checked and realized that every one of them in my shower contain sulfate.

Have you had any success with a laser comb. I've heard about these but can't find much information. They look expensive and dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by hairforme View Post
    Have you had any success with a laser comb. I've heard about these but can't find much information. They look expensive and dangerous.
    When I first started treating my hair loss, I used only the laser comb for those first six months. I do feel that it helped and the improvement was noticeable. I've been using it for over four years now. I wouldn't keep using it if I didn't feel it was helping. It is not a miracle though. I feel it is best to use it as an adjunct treatment rather than a stand-alone treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    You have my case. Same hairline. I'm into 25 now and not much have changed.

Rogaine foam is BS. If you want to be sure you are doing maximum to halt hair loss, get a prescription for finasteride. Take 1.25mg of fin per day and apply minoxidil. I recommend Kirkland Minoxidil, because it is cheaper. Once or two times a week wash your hair with Nizoral shampoo and that's it.

Finasteride is the key here. The only thing that can really save your hair in case you are having MPB.

If you don't have the guts to take fin, fearing some minor side effect only one in a million gets, then I don't think you really want your hair enough.
    Your advice is terrible. Stick to asking questions.

Finasteride side effects don't affect one in a million.

The truth is no one knows the % affected. Each study has a different % and each study has potential for bias and methodology weaknesses that even a layman like me can easily expose.

Choosing to take finasteride is not about "guts", it's about each person's own opinion and weighing up pros and cons. It's clear you're passionate about your own hair loss, but don't flavour your "advice" with it such that it is not only inaccurate, but sometimes offensive.

Thanks for your replies guys, and keep them coming. But the only thing that has been clear to me is that there is a lot of confusion and failure when it comes to treating hair loss.

I've already discussed this problem with my physician who downplayed my problem, and did nothing to help me but give me a worthless anti-dandruff shampoo. I don't want any more bullshit.

I'm interested in Rogaine foam because of the easy topical application, and many people recommend it. I don't want to take propecia or other medications because it's expensive and I'm hearing too many people complain about horrific side effects such as erectile dysfunction (no thanks!).

I think you have to decide that is it more manly to have hair and no erection? Or is it more manly to have an erection with no hair? You have to think that even if it were one in a million which it isn't in some studies done on 100 men it was found that almost 70% had found decreased libido.
    Taking something that interferes with the body's natural make up is dangerous if taken for a long time.
    I think "getting it up" pretty much outweighs some hair on your head. (my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by whyohwhy View Post
    I think you have to decide that is it more manly to have hair and no erection? Or is it more manly to have an erection with no hair? You have to think that even if it were one in a million which it isn't in some studies done on 100 men it was found that almost 70% had found decreased libido.
    Taking something that interferes with the body's natural make up is dangerous if taken for a long time.
    I think "getting it up" pretty much outweighs some hair on your head. (my opinion)
    If I have to choose between baldness and sexual problems, I would choose to live with baldness. But you're saying that every hair loss treatment has those kinds of side effects?!