+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If it is true that by blocking 5-alpha reductase, finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone into DHT, then surely we have identified the cause of sexual side effects. It's because, as the study concludes, difference in concentrations of DHT appear to predict sexual activity in healthy young men. Doesn't this mean that to overcome sexual side effects, we must simply address the levels of DHT? Or is something else going on?

Is it possible to ask a doctor to measure DHT when getting hormone levels checked? And then is it possible to increase levels of DHT?
    Im honestly not trolling you here dude, but just want to give you some advice.. I read on propeciahelp that 5-alpha reductase doesnt ONLY convert Testosterone to DHT, but it also converts other important chemicals as well.

if it were really so simple that DHT was all a person needed to boost their libido, then everyone would be taking DHT supplements and men into their 80's would be as sexually active as teenagers! same would be said for people with problems after propecia, testosterone injections and dht supplements would cure the problem for everyone. This obviously isnt whats happening... along with the other points I made in the other thread, it is just fact that DHT has little to nothing to do with any of this.

you might have heard of Dr. Chrisler, who treats people that have these problems with hormones. if increasing DHT levels was all that was needed, everyone who gets treated would feel 100% better, but I dont think ive heard of anyone cured or even feeling significantly better after his treatments..

its very obviously a complicated problem, if it were as simple as DHT alone being the solution, then everybody would already be treating themselves. I havent seen many hormone reports from people after stopping propecia (maybe soothsayer can comment on this) but it looks like for the most part testosterone and DHT go back to normal even in people that still have side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by the_charger View Post
    (maybe soothsayer can comment on this) but it looks like for the most part testosterone and DHT go back to normal even in people that still have side effects.
    I addressed this in my previous post, but it looks like many men have hormone levels that are below the normal range of hormones or at the very bottom level. It does seem that a deficiency of DHT is in part responsible for causing lasting problems in these patients. If you are interested, you can take a look on PropeciaHelp where a lot of patients post the results of their hormone profiles. However, as you mentioned it is not as simple as supplementing DHT or T since this does not seem to easily work. It is also possible that Propecia use causes an acquired androgen insensitivity. If this is true, hormone supplementation will not reverse the problem even if the problem is hormonal, similar to the relationship between Type I diabetes and insulin injections.

You can get a blood test for DHT. I had a few of them after I stopped finasteride. Make sure you take it first thing in the morning or you'll get some crazy results. Anyway, in all likelihood, your DHT levels will be normal, unless you have hypogonadism (and you would definitely know if you did). When you slow the production of hormones, the receptors for those hormones become downregulated and it takes a while for them to readjust for some people.

Sorry for slow response here, had a busy weekend.

ryan555, just to get to your reply first, why did you get your DHT checked? Can you tell me your full story? How long did it take for you to go back to normal and what did you do to help?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Sorry for slow response here, had a busy weekend.

ryan555, just to get to your reply first, why did you get your DHT checked? Can you tell me your full story? How long did it take for you to go back to normal and what did you do to help?
    I got my DHT checked because I was terrified of coming of 12 years of finasteride after reading all the crazy shit on the internet. I quit cold turkey and all my hormonal levels went back to normal for me within a week or so. As far as sides go, I had a few that I was unaware of when I was on the drug because I never read anything about them the whole time I was on it. I just ignored them and they didn't really bother me. Those all corrected themselves within a few days, maybe a week after stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by the_charger View Post

if it were really so simple that DHT was all a person needed to boost their libido, then everyone would be taking DHT supplements and men into their 80's would be as sexually active as teenagers! same would be said for people with problems after propecia, testosterone injections and dht supplements would cure the problem for everyone. This obviously isnt whats happening...

i.
    Well it is happening for some of us as my D.r put me on T and that is what fixed me. Within just a few days I started feeling better. And yes I wake up feeling like a teenager again. Starting loosing hair again but at least I got my health back...

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    Well it is happening for some of us as my D.r put me on T and that is what fixed me. Within just a few days I started feeling better. And yes I wake up feeling like a teenager again. Starting loosing hair again but at least I got my health back...
    Your doctor put you on testosterone and it fixed you? Or DHT?

Hay guys i find this a particularly interesting topic..

I've developed chronic prostatitis from taking propecia..

Been on it for 5 yrs, in the last 2 i noticed the effectiveness was waning so i increased the dose from 1mg to 2mg.. Initially everything was fine but then i developed a prostate problem.

I stopped taking the drug an i started getting better.. but i wasn't sure it was propecia and i didn't want to go bald so i went on 0.25mgs and the prostate problem came back..

I read somewhere that there is a study that states that DHT actually decreases the size of the prostate..

A cousin of mine developed prostatitis not related to propecia and he got better by taking shots of testosterone.

I don't want to scare anyone but this is what happened.. i actually want to go back on propecia because i don't want to go bald but im too worried i'll mess my system up for good..

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Your doctor put you on testosterone and it fixed you? Or DHT?

Yes he has me on T but increasing T increases DHT at the same time. Also I am on the trans dermal type which i am told is far worse for causing extra DHT.

The T boards say you want some DHT but not too much .

Not sure how old you are but young or old you should wait and see if you recover on your own as it's a life long thing. There is one T board that has some great info on Fin sides and they talk about restoring via thyroid medication. They talked about some of the weird sides and explained why and it made sense. The back of my hands got all weird looking and they explained it was some kind of female hormone imbalance. After thinking about it hit home as the back of my hands looked like the hands of a middle aged woman where the skin drys up and looks aged/cracked. Almost all of what they said is way over my head but I was just glad someone is started to figure it all out. They also hit another one close to home by saying that drinking grapefruit juice makes things worse for sides. At the time I got sides, I was exercising almost every night and drinking lots of grapefruit juice-I was basically addicted to the stuff.

Anyway, I would not rush into anything as you might recover on your own. I did recover somewhat on my own but it took time...

Thanks for the info

Whats the website?