+ Reply to Thread

Default Proscar and Minoxidil Questions

So I finally got a script for Proscar and plan on cutting the pills, firstly whats the most you people have been able to successfuly cut the pills to? Also is taking .6-1.25mg dosage of fin every other day as effective as daily? Is anyone currently doing that?

Also I'm a diffuse thinner, i'd say i'm about a NW2, but I have thinning all over except somewhat the back, even just above my hairline it's thinned out now, but I can still maintain good coverage. Will I be able to restore my thinning areas with just propecia or do I need to take minox?

Should I encorporate minox right now, or wait 4-6 months to see what fin kick starts, and then make a decision?

-Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jassi12 View Post
    Will I be able to restore my thinning areas with just propecia or do I need to take minox?
    Hello,

Only time will tell. Propecia alone will most likely only arrest your hair loss, which is very important.

There are two schools of thought here. One is to start on one medicine at a time to make sure you are O.K. with using it and to find out if it is doing you any good before adding another medicine. In this model, you start Propecia first, wait the full 12 months to make sure it is working for you (arresting your hair loss) and then add Rogaine for the next four to six months to see if it can grow any lost hair back for you. This makes sense becuase it helps you identify which medication is helping you the most.

The other school of thought is to attack the problem with everything available to you and who cares which medicine is doing the most good.

I was thinking of doing both, but I think i'll try the Fin itself first. I acctually dont lose much hair a day, probably just around or maybe below the average. I have been taking Saw for about 3 months so I dont know if that could have had a effect, but possibly.

And is using 1.25 fin EOD just as effective? I've read that fin half life is 8 hours but the enzymes take couple of days to regenerate or something of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by jassi12 View Post
    So I finally got a script for Proscar and plan on cutting the pills, firstly whats the most you people have been able to successfuly cut the pills to? Also is taking .6-1.25mg dosage of fin every other day as effective as daily? Is anyone currently doing that?

Also I'm a diffuse thinner, i'd say i'm about a NW2, but I have thinning all over except somewhat the back, even just above my hairline it's thinned out now, but I can still maintain good coverage. Will I be able to restore my thinning areas with just propecia or do I need to take minox?

Should I encorporate minox right now, or wait 4-6 months to see what fin kick starts, and then make a decision?

-Thanks
    I get the finesteride 5mg round pills and cut them into four pieces. Before taking one, I trim it down a bit by eye so that they are approx 1mg.