+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 22 and balding

Default 22 and balding

Hi guys I am a new member, my name is Mike, and I am a 22 year old college student graduating Petroleum Engineering in May. My hairloss is starting to get pretty bad (probably from the stress of school). Heres some pics:

1. To start off, heres me my freshman year of college. In this pic I am 18 (maybe 19) with no thoughts of losing my hair:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...NAME=snapfish/

2. This next pic is of me fooling around at school about 2 years later. You can see that the hairline is starting to go:

3. And heres a pic of me today. You'll notice I've grown my hair out in a somewhat futile attempt to hide the hairline lol:

4. Also, I have noticed significant thinning at the vertex. There isn't exactly a bald spot, but the area that is thinning is quite large:

5. It doesn't look quite as bad from a distance:

6. For my job interviews I slicked my hair back with gel. This hid the thinning at the vertex pretty well:

7. Of course it made the receding hairline really obvious. Here's what that looks like from the front:

So up until recently I have not done anything about my thinning hair and receding hailrline. Over spring break I got a hair trim and my stylist recommended that I start using Nioxin to make the hair at the vertex appear thinner. I have been using it about a week now and have not noticed any difference whatsoever. I am thinking about purchasing Nizoral and alternating it in with the Nioxin. I am also thinking about giving Rogaine a shot. Any ideas?

Also, I am NOT willing to take any pills especially Propecia. I have read too many horror stories online, and my health is more important to me than my cosmetic appearance. I am also not considering a hair transplant. I know I'm going to go bald, and I'm comfortable with that. My goal is to slow it down as much as possible. I don't know if this is doable, but I'd like to have a somewhat full head of hair throughout my 20s. Thanks for reading guys!

If i were you i would keep my hair shorter, maybe a lil bangs to hide the receding hairline but def keep it shorter. You still have a decent head of hair and propecia would def help you keep it for a little longer but depends if you are willing to take it. Rogaine can do wonders so i would def get on that, you can put it on both the hairline and baldspot. My advice is def get a shorter haircut, the long hair is ehh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Hi guys I am a new member, my name is Mike, and I am a 22 year old college student graduating Petroleum Engineering in May. My hairloss is starting to get pretty bad (probably from the stress of school). Heres some pics:

1. To start off, heres me my freshman year of college. In this pic I am 18 (maybe 19) with no thoughts of losing my hair:

2. This next pic is of me fooling around at school about 2 years later. You can see that the hairline is starting to go:

3. And heres a pic of me today. You'll notice I've grown my hair out in a somewhat futile attempt to hide the hairline lol:

4. Also, I have noticed significant thinning at the vertex. There isn't exactly a bald spot, but the area that is thinning is quite large:

5. It doesn't look quite as bad from a distance:

6. For my job interviews I slicked my hair back with gel. This hid the thinning at the vertex pretty well:

7. Of course it made the receding hairline really obvious. Here's what that looks like from the front:

So up until recently I have not done anything about my thinning hair and receding hailrline. Over spring break I got a hair trim and my stylist recommended that I start using Nioxin to make the hair at the vertex appear thinner. I have been using it about a week now and have not noticed any difference whatsoever. I am thinking about purchasing Nizoral and alternating it in with the Nioxin. I am also thinking about giving Rogaine a shot. Any ideas?

Also, I am NOT willing to take any pills especially Propecia. I have read too many horror stories online, and my health is more important to me than my cosmetic appearance. I am also not considering a hair transplant. I know I'm going to go bald, and I'm comfortable with that. My goal is to slow it down as much as possible. I don't know if this is doable, but I'd like to have a somewhat full head of hair throughout my 20s. Thanks for reading guys!
    This is probably not what you wanna hear, but using finasteride is pretty much the only way you can keep your hair and slow your hair loss, at least until the better treatments come out in the next few years. The "horror stories" you hear about it are HIGHLY exaggerated. For every person who gets side effects, there are 50 who don't. Rogaine might help you, but with your case of baldness (which seems somewhat aggressive) it might not do much good. I'd give some thought into at least trying fin, and if you get sides then you can always stop. If you really don't wanna take it, it's your prerogative, but other than using the Big Three (fin, minox, nizoral) there's not much else you can do for your hair loss.

Kudos to you for being able to accept your hairloss and realize that physical appearance is not everything. But I would still consider Propecia if I were you. I noticed the beginning of my hair loss at about your age and put off Propecia until I was 26, based on the "horror stories" I read online. Many people, myself included, experience zero side effects and you never know until you try. Just a thought. And also I agree that a shorter haircut will look better for someone with thinning hair.

The long hair swished like that makes you look older and very posh.

You need to cut it short, spike it up and make yourself look like a 22 year old.

The only things that can possibly help are rogaine and propecia, but if your not willing to take them then theres nothing you can do.

You can only hope like the rest of us that a new treatment comes out soon. It is hoped that something could cure/treat baldness very effectively within 5 years so you could potentially have your hair back relatively soon.

As you are only 22 at least you should have some of your 20's with a full head of hair again. But who knows when I cure will come out, we don't know but things are more promising these days.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I will take your advice and get the hair cut short soon. It's not like the long hair is hiding it anyways lol. I also plan on starting Rogaine soon.

I read some stories online about guys who can't get it up long after stopping Propecia. I also read that Propecia increases the risk of prostate cancer, and several men in my family have had this. For these reasons, I would really like to avoid taking it. Am I misinformed about either of these risks?

Also, does anyone know where can I find a doctor who will prescribe me 2% Nizoral (and maybe Propecia if I decided to use it)? I had a derm a few years back when I took Acutane, and I asked her about anything I could do to stop my hair loss (which at the time I had just noticed). She just said to try Rogaine, and didn't seem very knowledgable about hairloss. I'd like to avoid wasting my time going to doctors like this who most likely won't prescribe me anything (Don't get me wrong, the Acutane did its job well), and I figure if I'm going to use Nizoral I might as well go all out and use the 2% instead of the 1% right? I live in Norman, Oklahoma by the way.

Also, should I keep using Nioxin or is this a waste of my time? I don't see anything happening, but I figure its probably too early to tell anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I will take your advice and get the hair cut short soon. It's not like the long hair is hiding it anyways lol. I also plan on starting Rogaine soon.

I read some stories online about guys who can't get it up long after stopping Propecia. I also read that Propecia increases the risk of prostate cancer, and several men in my family have had this. For these reasons, I would really like to avoid taking it. Am I misinformed about either of these risks?

Also, does anyone know where can I find a doctor who will prescribe me 2% Nizoral (and maybe Propecia if I decided to use it)? I had a derm a few years back when I took Acutane, and I asked her about anything I could do to stop my hair loss (which at the time I had just noticed). She just said to try Rogaine, and didn't seem very knowledgable about hairloss. I'd like to avoid wasting my time going to doctors like this who most likely won't prescribe me anything (Don't get me wrong, the Acutane did its job well), and I figure if I'm going to use Nizoral I might as well go all out and use the 2% instead of the 1% right? I live in Norman, Oklahoma by the way.

Also, should I keep using Nioxin or is this a waste of my time? I don't see anything happening, but I figure its probably too early to tell anyway.
    The study about the prostate cancer risk was only studied people on 5mg finasteride for benign prostate hyperplasia. If there really is a risk, it's probably much lower for those who use the 1/1.25 mg dose for hair loss. As for the chronic ED after stopping fin...not sure about that, but I hear it's extremely uncommon. Maybe people who experience it are already predisposed to ED?

I would see your general practitioner for a prescription for the niz/fin. That's what I did when I noticed my hair loss; my doc was very knowledgeable about my condition and had no qualms about prescribing the meds for me. Hair loss is pretty common and most GPs know enough about it to help out.

Hi Mike,

I have been on fin for a little under a year now, i had some sides at the start which went away as my system got used to the drug. The trial (cancer stats you are refering) were conducted on men between 59-79 or 69, a population at an increased risk of prostate cancer. The study found a decrease in low grade cancer and an increase in the identification of high grade cancer. As far as i understand the drug did not cause the high grade cancer but aided in its identification. With such a study group the identifcation of prostate cancer is pretty much gaurenteed.

Best of luck

Thanks for the responses guys! This has really given me a lot to think about. I'll definitely ask my doc about the Nizoral 2% next time I'm there. I think I'll research Propecia a little more when I have time.

So should I continue using Nioxin? Should I use the scalp therapy if I'm also using Rogaine? If so, should I put it on before, or after Rogaine, or does that matter?

Also, should I continue using the Nioxin conditioner? Once I cut my hair short, should I use conditioner at all? Back when I had short hair I never used conditioner, and when my hair is long I really only use conditioner because it untangles my hair. Is there some other benefit to using conditioner?

I'm also aware that Rogaine makes a shampoo. Would that be better to alternate with Nizoral than Nioxin would?

Theres so many products out there its just overwhelming lol!

Default 22 and balding Also!

Hey Mike please text me I would love to talk to you personally. I'm also a college student who is 22 years old and going through a very similar balding progression. My number is 623 205 8354. If you decide not to text me I'll give you a brief intro to my hairless. I started loosing when I was about 20 years old and the progression was unbelievably fast, I think got on Propecia and it has changed my life. The shedding has slowed and over the past year and I half I have saved so many grafts. You should really look into it and try not to read the online stories and try it for yourself. it could be life changing and if you do experience the same "sexual side effects" as other claim. Then get off the drug and at least you tried. But anyways drop me a text and we can talk a little more in depth about our hairless , it's always great to talk to someone especially with a similar story.