+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Minoxidil Foam v Liquid

Hi guys,

My current regime with minoxidil is to apply the liquid morning and night. In the morning I apply it for at least an hour and then shower because I don't like the greasiness in my hair and on my scalp.

I'm curious about how the foam would work. Would I be able to use the foam and then shower, like say 15 minutes after? Or would I have to leave it at least an hour or longer to absorb? Maybe the foam is less greasy than the liquid so I wouldn't need to shower it off, but I'm skeptical. I'm very fussy about how I style my hair and any greasiness is a no-no.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    In the morning I apply it for at least an hour and then shower because I don't like the greasiness in my hair and on my scalp.
    You are basically washing the medicine out and not gaining any benefit from it. Give the foam a try. I use Rogaine foam in the morning because it is stealthy and liquid Minoxidil in the evening because it is less expensive.

I would say go for the foam, definitely. It is not nearly as detrimental to the appearance of your hair and doesn't cause itch hardly at all. Provided the liquid isn't warm when you dispense it, the stuff stays where you apply it. Washing the stuff out is not the right way to do it, you are wasting money/losing benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    You are basically washing the medicine out and not gaining any benefit from it. Give the foam a try. I use Rogaine foam in the morning because it is stealthy and liquid Minoxidil in the evening because it is less expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyBird View Post
    I would say go for the foam, definitely. It is not nearly as detrimental to the appearance of your hair and doesn't cause itch hardly at all. Provided the liquid isn't warm when you dispense it, the stuff stays where you apply it. Washing the stuff out is not the right way to do it, you are wasting money/losing benefits.
    Guys I'm confused. I always leave it to soak in the morning for at least an hour, sometimes longer. At night I leave it and don't wash it out. If it soaks for an hour it's surely absorbed a good amount of the liquid by then?

Guys I'm confused. I always leave it to soak in the morning for at least an hour, sometimes longer. At night I leave it and don't wash it out. If it soaks for an hour it's surely absorbed a good amount of the liquid by then?
    The booklet in the Minox I use (DNC) says to leave it on for atleast 3 hours before washing.

GuI always leave it to soak in the morning for at least an hour, sometimes longer.
    The information that comes with the medication says to leave it in for at least four hours before washing.

The problem with foam is that if you still have a good amount of hair the foam won't get to the scalp as easily or as well as the liquid does. I'm wondering if the foam can be mixed with the liquid. I think I'm gonna try emptying a can of foam and a bottle of liquid into a bigger bottle. They say foam works better and that's why I want to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    They say foam works better and that's why I want to give it a try.
    One of the main reasons the foam works better is because users are more compliant. The reason those who use the foam are more compliant is because the foam is easier to use.

It is difficult to get the foam to your scalp if you have long hair but it can be done. I do it every day.

I'm guessing that if I use the liquid at least once a day at night for the full 4+ hours without showering, I'm doing reasonably ok. 1 hour or so in the morning isn't ideal, but until I get the foam there's no way I'd leave the greasy liquid on my scalp and in my hair.

Once I get the foam I'll try to use that in the morning and leave it, though I'll still have to blowdry it soon after I apply it.... not sure how that affects things?
    Then I'll use the liquid at night as normal.

I blow dry and style my hair with the foam in there. I even use a curling iron or straightening iron. It's no big deal. You just make sure to put the medicine on your scalp before you do anything else.

I just found generic Minoxidil foam at Walmart today. Maybe generic foam is or will be available in your area as well.