+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    mnx, there are people at either sides of the spectrum, either pushing propecia or criticising it. I'm personally in the middle, because the truth is we don't conclusively know what the risks are, and anyone who says otherwise is lying.
    Taking the fact that you have quit the drug and have personally suffered from the side effects, I can't see you in the middle, sorry..

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    you do realize that this drug has been around for more than 20 years and its patent is about to expire on 2013?
    This means generic 1 mg finasteride will be available at US pharmacies soon after, right?
    Thank god

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Taking the fact that you have quit the drug and have personally suffered from the side effects, I can't see you in the middle, sorry..
    I'm in the middle because it's possible I'm just unlucky to be in a small minority of men who suffered the side effects. I'm inclined to think logically and critically and I won't let my own negative personal experience turn me into a "hater", just as a positive experience wouldn't make me a "pusher" and dismissive about the risks.

we don't know the risks and yet FDA concluded that it's safe?
    Don't worry, FDA is much more paranoid than you two combined. They wouldn't have approved it if it was unsafe.
    2020, Propecia's website has been taken down and a link to notify the FDA about side effects has been added.

You believe this is because their patent will run out in over a year's time? On what basis? Is this standard protocol? Sounds like you know how the industry works.

NOTE: The FDA are not beyond human error or corruption. There is an entire Wikipedia article here about FDA mistakes and alleged corruption:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...Administration

"A $1.8 million 2006 Institute of Medicine report on pharmaceutical regulation in the U.S. found major deficiencies in the FDA system for ensuring the safety of drugs on the American market. Overall, the authors called for an increase in the regulatory powers, funding, and independence of the FDA"

In other words, stop suggesting that FDA approval means the drug is necessarily as safe as Merck suggest.

Inactive

I'm in the middle because it's possible I'm just unlucky to be in a small minority of men who suffered the side effects. I'm inclined to think logically and critically and I won't let my own negative personal experience turn me into a "hater", just as a positive experience wouldn't make me a "pusher" and dismissive about the risks.
    But its conflicting.. You also said You don't think Merck's percentages reflect reality.. and truly so, I agree - both Boston and Washington studies dispute Merck's claims and put out much greater percentages.

I don't think You're a part of a small minority chrisis. I believe You are a part of a much larger group of people, a much higher percentage of people who have suffered from this drug in reality. You were lucky in the sense that Your side effects weren't permanent, but thats sadly wasn't the outcome with all people who tried this drug.. People pressing charges and going to courts have had the worst possible outcome.

2020, Propecia's website has been taken down and a link to notify the FDA about side effects has been added.
    so what? As I said: propecia is an old drug and their patent is about to expire so there is no reason for Merck to market it anymore.... why keep the website alive when there won't be Propecia in 2013??

Of course they're encouraging you to report side effects to FDA... I'm pretty sure every drug BY LAW has to do that.

You believe this is because their patent will run out in over a year's time? On what basis?
    believe? That's a fact. Do you know how patents work? They can't hold on to it forever...

yeah yeah FDA made some mistakes in the past but for the most part they're doing a good job.
    You think Merck bribed FDA in order to approve Propecia??

2020, I don't think it's worth discussing this anymore with you because you don't even understand my arguments - you're just too biased and as bad or worse than anyone you criticise.

At least those in the "anti-finasteride" camp are trying to look out for other people. You're just recklessly endangering other people's health.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    But its conflicting.. You also said You don't think Merck's percentages reflect reality.. and truly so, I agree - both Boston and Washington studies dispute Merck's claims and put out much greater percentages.
    It's not conflicting. I think people should be told about the availability of finasteride and its effectiveness, BUT they should also be told that the extent of the side effects are currently unknown.

Why can't anyone else see that this is the reality of the situation?

You were lucky in the sense that Your side effects weren't permanent, but thats sadly wasn't the outcome with all people who tried this drug..
    I don't know if my side effects are permanent yet. So far nothing's changed since I stopped the drug, almost a week ago.

2020, I don't think it's worth discussing this anymore with you because you don't even understand my arguments - you're just too biased and as bad or worse than anyone you criticise.
    how am I biased? It's true - their patent runs out in 2013 so it seems logical that they would stop marketing it.... Why would you market a product for which you're no longer have exclusive rights?

The fact that Propecia.com website is no longer available means nothing!

Just because a company does not have exclusive rights, it doesn't mean they will stop promoting and selling a money-spinning product, especially a year before the patent expires.

Merck will make as much money as they can from Propecia until they can't make anymore. That's how business works.

Nobody except Merck and their representatives will know why the website was taken down, but it's definitely suspicious. If they are preparing to defend themselves in court, then you'd think they'd be supporting the product in every way possible.

Moves such as this suggest guilt or an attempt to reduce liability.