+ Reply to Thread

Default My story so far plus my opinions on a few things

Ok, firstly I will start with my story. I have been balding now for about 5 years. Very slowly I must add. Basically my temples have been receding the whole time. The front middle part or hair is still in same place but the corners of temples are back about 1.5 inches. I am not going to post any pictures by the way because I know longer look at my hairline as it gets me all depressed. Denial is how I deal with my balding.

I feel I must add to this story that I wear my hair down now due to reasons you guys are all too aware. And also that currently standing my hair looks pretty good and you would not know I was balding unless I scraped my hair back.... However, It is getting to the point (id say another 6 months or so) where you will notice my balding even with hair down.

So as you can see I am at the point where I need to do something fast.

For the last 4 years I have been taking saw palmetto and dabbling in alpecin and nizorol. I can not tell you whether these have slowed the process down because I dont know otherwise (obviously LOL).

SO where do I go now?? I am more inclined towards propecia because it will save me having to coat my hair in minoxidil twice a day which im sure is pretty horrible. And I am also worried that using minoxidil will make my hair look greasy which will further inhance my baldingness? I am also of the opinion that any shedding from minoxidil is due to over fondling of hair? When I went through a period of washing my hair everyday with alpecin I noticed I was losing loads of hair. Im sure this was just due to the fact that I was scrubbing my hair everyday as oppose to once a week which I do at the moment and sure this wasn't a shed of hairs that are going to regrow?

I am very skeptical of the whole 'shed theory'. I think that if you start gelling your hair twice a day you will have a mass shed? Please advise if you think my opinion is absolute bull shii.

So this leaves me with propecia which I am well aware does little for temples and frontal loss just like minoxidil. But the question is where is the line of propecia working and not working. Half way across my head or the back etc. In my opinion the only way the find out is by taking it and if at somepoint in my hairloss it stops that is obviously the line for my head. I do hope this all makes sense.

Now for the scary bit. I have to go to my doctors to say I want propecia and Im sure he will say it doesnt work for temples and Im gonna have to fight him for the drugs??

Some encouraging words would help me now to make me dial the clinic.

Now for an opinion of mine which really doesn't give me hope:
    Why would histogen or any other company release a drug that will almost banish hair loss?? I dont think they will. Doctors are making billions from transplants and merck regain etc are making billions from life long sales of their products. So surely when histogens trials get a tick mr merck will say, heres 100 million pound for the patent on histogen and put it to the back of there cupboard. In all honesty merck could already hav the drug to stop hairloss but its not financially viable to release??
    I mean honestly 3d televisions, spaceships, telephones, fake limbs. But not a cure for hairloss?? Sounds a little fishy to me.

Thanks for reading all comments much appreciated and any advice etc. Critisisms also much appreciated on my opinions.

me and you are in the exact same boat here feel free to look at my previous threads which has pictures i wear my hair medium long and you could up until a few weeks ago anyway not tell im balding even my mates say i have loads of hair and cant tell pfft if only they knew! right now you can see my forehead through my fringe especially in harsh light its clear its thinned out alot.

I just got out the bath and man my hairline will be like jude laws in 6 months so depressing im thinking about trying fin i know its not for the hairline but i just hope and pray it does somthing i guess i have no other choice and ill add minox as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhairdude View Post
    I am very skeptical of the whole 'shed theory'. I think that if you start gelling your hair twice a day you will have a mass shed? Please advise if you think my opinion is absolute BS.
    Shedding is asociated with every treatment for hair loss that actually works. Shedding is associated with Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil), Propecia (or generic Finasteride), Aldactone (or generic Spironolactone) and low level laser therapy. Shedding is part of the process. Shedding means the treatment is working. This is not "theory", it is what it is. There is no way to avoid shedding if you want to treat your hair loss. The damaged follicles shed their hairs as they are being repaired by treatment. How much you will shed depends on how many damaged follicles you have and how long they have been damaged. The more damaged follicles you have, the more you will shed. The less damaged follicles you have, the less you will shed. Shedding stops eventually when the damaged follicles have returned to close to normal and and start producing hair again.

Now for the scary bit. I have to go to my doctors to say I want propecia and Im sure he will say it doesnt work for temples and Im gonna have to fight him for the drugs??
    Males do not get to keep their temple hair. Males develop a male hair line in the typical "M" shape. Some males get deaper temple recession than others but the "M" shape is still there. This is one of the physical features that differ between males and females. I am not sure anything you do short of transplant surgery will give you an adolescent/feminine hair line.

Some encouraging words would help me now to make me dial the clinic.
    If your hair loss bothers you, you should treat it. There is no shame in doing so if it helps you feel better about yourself. If your hair loss truly has been going on for only five years, you are in good shape. You will probably respond well to the "big 3" and low level laser therapy. However, two realities you need to face are that shedding is part of the process and it takes a long time to treat hair loss. There is no quick fix for hair loss.