+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default FDA busting ALL 15% Minoxidil? Expiry dates?

It looks as though both perfect image solutions and, most recently, minoxidil max have gone the way of Richard Lee/minoxidil solutions. FDA bust.

Does anyone have 'expert' knowledge of 'use by/expiry' dates for 5% and 15% solutions similar to ******* (minoxidil and azeliac acid)?

Dr Lee's generally had around a two year expiry period on the label.

'Dr Park' had no labels, but in an email reply wrote to me: 'Well over a year, closer to two years'.

Does anyone have 'expert' knowledge on whether it makes a difference if stored differently, or once opened?

What did 'Perfect Image Solutions' say on the bottle. I have no knowledge of their products?

Any comments would be gratefully received.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Most of those products will still work well beyond the expiration date. It is possible that when the product gets very old it will start to loose some of its effectivenss. Remember the companies who make this stuff want people to throw out any of the remaining product at its expiration date and buy more right away.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Default Pis

I just found out Perfect Image Solutions is closed. Is this permenently? If so what are the other sources for 15% Min?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Every compounding pharmacy I know or have heard of has been shut down or ordered to stop making any Finasteride of more than 5%.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Default That so sucks

I am only into my second bottle of 15%, what can I expect differently from the 5%? I think it was to early to tell if the 15% was being effective.

I am quite sure Dr. Charles meant to say Minoxidil rather than Finasteride.

Anyways, there is likely a darn good reason for shutting down these "providers". The strongest strength of Minoxidil permitted by the FDA without a prescription is 5%. There is a reason for that. Increasing strength does not equate to increasing the effectiveness. However, increasing the strength does equate to increasing the possibility of experiencing negative side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post

Anyways, there is likely a darn good reason for shutting down these "providers". The strongest strength of Minoxidil permitted by the FDA without a prescription is 5%. There is a reason for that. Increasing strength does not equate to increasing the effectiveness. However, increasing the strength does equate to increasing the possibility of experiencing negative side effects.
    Dr Lee did 'prescribe' - with a 'prescription'. The FDA closed him down, but we have no evidence that it was because he 'prescribed' 15% minoxidil for some patients. He believed - as did many of his patients - that it was more 'effective' for some of his patients than 5%, other things being equal. A major difference between Dr Lee's products and recent internet providers is that any possible and actual negative side-effects could be discussed with Dr Lee and a decision taken accordingly. I wouldn't want to idealise the man - he was, of course, in business, but I do think his operation should not be equated with Ebay, Amazon and snake oil sellers. We need another Dr Lee!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post

Then why does Rogaine report the statistical results of the 15% solution in their commercials as a market campaign for their over priced 5% solution? The study showed better results with a 15% solution compared to a 5% solution.

Default What

Commercials are you reffering to? I have been doing the 15% for just a couple of months, not long enough to know if it is working. I am, stuck now, I guess going to the 5% stuff. I was never able to find any information supporting the higher concentrations effectiveness, other than word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewater View Post
    Commercials are you reffering to? I have been doing the 15% for just a couple of months, not long enough to know if it is working. I am, stuck now, I guess going to the 5% stuff. I was never able to find any information supporting the higher concentrations effectiveness, other than word of mouth.
    Just the generic commercial for Rogaine they report 89% of men regrow hair. When I first looked into the 15% solutions, that I ran across while trying to find less expensive 5% solutions, I read the actually study that the 89% statistic comes from and (if my memory serves my correctly) that was for the 15% solution not the 5% solution. I will look for the study again and post a link when I find it.