+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

You would have to potentially get a very bad sunburn pre-op to negatively affect your upcoming procedure.

Yes, a loosely fitted ball cap post-op or even a loosely fitted bandana would work well in protecting your grafts post-op.

Most guys choose the ball cap because the fabric tends to be thicker to keep the UV rays out.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hello,

I had a fue procedure one month ago,

I'm going to the sea and was wondering if its ok be in sunlight/to tan wearing a cap?

meaning, might it be dangerous in any way to get sunglight in the face for example? even though i'll wearing a cap and therefore transplanted area wont be exposed to direct sunlight...

thank you in advance!

johnjoe,

Well it's good to hear that you are taking the precautions to protect your grafts with a cap...

Your face and any exposed skin can be potentially harmed by both UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays (long range) can age us however it's the UVB rays (short wave) that can burn us. Both are bad if exposed without proper protection. The closer we are to the equator, the more intense the rays are.

This is where a good quality sun block lotion for any exposed skin would be beneficial. But be sure to compare both the quality of the product as well as the rating. Not all sun block products are the same so it's a good idea to research the ratings on these various products.

If you are going to be in the sun for prolonged periods, you want the highest rating passible and be sure to apply in regular intervals especially if you are experiencing a higher rate of perspiration and/or are swimming.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

gillenator,

thank you very much!

I'll definitely look up sun block lotions..

but theoritically, even if i dont use one, are cap and bandana enough to protect grafts and donor area, or can it still be harmed by sun?

johnjoe,

You're welcome my friend.

Whether you use a cap or bandana, you want to be sure that the fabric is thick enough to not allow the rays to penetrate through.

Some caps have breathable openings (mesh) or holes to allow air to pass but you want one that completely protects your scalp especially the recipient area where the grafts are.

Look under the cap from the inside as it faces the sun. If you can see light passing through the cap, then you need a different one that does not.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Default Newbie

Hi all, I just had a question that has been bothering me for the best part of a month now regarding this topic.
    I had an FUE of 4000 grafts done around 6 weeks ago, and at day 6 or 7, I exposed my head to some direct sunlight intermittently for around an hour or so,maybe more. afterwards I never had any redness, bleeding, pain or anything that suggested a sunburn, in fact I remembered about exposing my head a few days later.
    my head looks perfectly ok and everything.
    Should I be worried I damaged the grafts in some way? Is the main worry about exposing yourself to sunlight related to getting a sunburn which if avoided, means you did not in fact damage your grafts?

Hairaldo,

By your description, I doubt that you did any damage to your grafts especially if you did not sustain any sunburn.

As you can see from the prior postings, you do want to cover your scalp whenever spending any duration of time in the direct sunlight.

Most docs want their patients to keep their scalps covered from the sun for at least six moths post-op.

Congrats on your recent procedure...
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Hi,JB Well Direct sunlight might not be the good idea to be directly in contacted after the hair transplantation immediately. It might take more then 3-4 months to get fully recovered hair scalp after the surgery. Reasons can be like
    a. Native Skin comparison vs. transplanted Hair: the comparative capabilities to recover the hair area are more strength in Native skin (which is not transplanted) then transplanted hair.
    b.Skin sensation : Skin is immature to take any roughness from outer environment
    It’s not like you would never expose your head to contact direct sunlight post-op it also depends upon the duration and the type of hair recovery distinctly.

That is undoubtedly why some docs feel six months post-op is necessary for the scalp to recover without running the risk of damaging the grafts.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Dear JB,

Try to avoid sun exposure after the surgery as your scalp would be still pink and swollen. Wear a hat if you have to go out in the sun. As the newly transplanted hair moves towards the surface, it's possible that excessive sun exposure could be harmful to the grafts. Its better to be away from direct sunlight as you may end up getting bad sunburn, which may result in no hair growth in that area. One should take cautionary measures to avoid sunlight after hair transplant operation for atleast 3 to 6 mnths, or until the transplanted hair has completely come out.
    Hope this helps. Good Luck !